And so the exodus of quality expats begins. This time it's personal

Galong

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The middle ground is Spain, for those from the UK. There is also a sizeable German and Scandinavian presence. Good infrastructure, a police force that polices, far better quality in the supermarkets, many things cheaper than Thailand, a more variable climate, people who drive in a responsible manner. I'd move there in a heartbeat if I didn't have family in Thailand. 

I did look into it and I considered it. The tax issue is a huge factor though we'll see how that plays out here. Difficult for an American to get a long-term visa to live there. There are a few other factors why I'm remaining here. 

The language would be an  advantage as my Spanish is pretty good, but the Spanish that they speak in Spain is probably the most challenging Spanish spoken on the planet, both from a standpoint of comprehending and speaking. Even Cuba is easier. 

On 2/10/2024 at 6:12 PM, stevenl said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're posting nonsense.

I added him/her to my 'ignore' list as anyone who would say something like that is not likely to ever post anything worth reading. 😉

There is, of course, a smorgasbord of expats here. Yes, some are dreadful and others are delightful. There is a bunch in the middle. It's the way reality works in most destinations I'm guessing.

On 2/10/2024 at 2:03 PM, Expat68 said:

Try Loei province, years ago it was in the middle of nowhere, little amenities for the westerners. Today the city of Loei has its own airport, Makro, Lotus, Big C, Global, cycling club, gym clubs, football club, aerobics/yoga. Many foreigners like Loei because it has seasons, in winter can be cold (not for long) Mountains close to Lao border

My wife and I visited Loei last year as part of a multi-destination Isan trip. We love visiting Isan. It's such a refreshing change from Phuket and very affordable. My main concern would be medical facilities. That's a big part of what I like about Phuket. 

BTW, we visited Phu Wiang, Nong Bua Lam Phu, Loei, and Chiang Khan on this particular vacation. It was a wonderful trip!  We're off to Udon Thani and Nong Khai later this month. My favorite hotel in Thailand is the Amman Unique Hotel in Udon Thani. It's like a 5-star-ish hotel at 3-star prices. The location is wonderful and the restaurant is really good too. 

Edited by Galong
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Galong said:

My wife and I visited Loei last year as part of a multi-destination Isan trip. We love visiting Isan. It's such a refreshing change from Phuket and very affordable. My main concern would be medical facilities. That's a big part of what I like about Phuket. 

BTW, we visited Phu Wiang, Nong Bua Lam Phu, Loei, and Chiang Khan on this particular vacation. It was a wonderful trip!  We're off to Udon Thani and Nong Khai later this month. My favorite hotel in Thailand is the Amman Unique Hotel in Udon Thani. It's like a 5-star-ish hotel at 3-star prices. The location is wonderful and the restaurant is really good too. 

Glad that you both enjoyed my part of the world. Agree about the medical side

17 minutes ago, Galong said:

I added him/her to my 'ignore' list as anyone who would say something like that is not likely to ever post anything worth reading. 😉

There is, of course, a smorgasbord of expats here. Yes, some are dreadful and others are delightful. There is a bunch in the middle. It's the way reality works in most destinations I'm guessing.

That's the attitude, ignore people calling you out.

Have fun in your echo chamber.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 5:19 PM, Lacessit said:

It would take a hell of a lot to pry me loose from Chiang Rai, although I suppose Chiang Rai is not high on the riff-raff bucket list of places they can spoil for others.

You are very easily pleased although you are right.

I'm riff-raff and wouldn't dream of living in a dump like CR.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Kinok Farang said:

Thank you for your consideration.

Which paragon of purity do you live in?

On 2/9/2024 at 5:24 PM, mfd101 said:

I have never been to Phuket and probably will never visit there. In any case, it is not Thailand ...

I come to aseannow for advice now and again but i will probably not ask you anything to do with geography.

No offence.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Thank you for your consideration.

Which paragon of purity do you live in?

And thank you for your prompt reply.

I live with the rest of the riff-raff in Pattaya although i am posher than most because i stay in Jomtien.

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, Kinok Farang said:

And thank you for your prompt reply.

I live with the rest of the riff-raff in Pattaya although i am posher than most because i stay in Jomtien.

I'd agree Jomtien is a better choice than Pattaya.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/10/2024 at 3:23 PM, pomchop said:

If you want girlie bars that cater to farangs you will be disappointed.

There are one or three. I go there every so often. But yes I haven't found any Go-Go bars.

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The middle ground is Spain, for those from the UK. There is also a sizeable German and Scandinavian presence. Good infrastructure, a police force that polices, far better quality in the supermarkets, many things cheaper than Thailand, a more variable climate, people who drive in a responsible manner. I'd move there in a heartbeat if I didn't have family in Thailand. 

I considered spain and portugal several years ago and rejected it. Can't remember why I never followed through, but it must have been a visa problem. I'm from the Usa.

I suppose it depends on where you live and how old you are.

Kamala remains a great place to live regardless of age.

Been here since 2010: Haven’t noticed many major changes across the island since then. 

high season is upon us, and its busy, but low season will come again and its great.

Traffic is probably a bit worse if you need to go between towns during the daytime, but thats because more long term expats are settling here now.

Most who complain about phuket just cant afford to live here, or are just getting too old to handle change.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, JimTripper said:
14 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I considered spain and portugal several years ago and rejected it. Can't remember why I never followed through, but it must have been a visa problem. I'm from the Usa.

I'm from the UK and had family and friends there, and visited several times. But that was before the Brexit nonsense, and in that time my sister split from her UK husband and moved back. As I have no real reason to go there now, except that I like it, I have no idea of the visa requirements for UK citizens who want to reside there. There didn't used to be any, but even now I'd guess it's probably easier for UK citizens than those of the US. Just a guess. I'm pretty sure that UK folk wouldn't find it too hard but I admit I'm now speaking from ignorance. If anyone has any info I'm willing to be educated.

18 hours ago, xylophone said:

If one has a British passport, is it still possible to live full-time in Spain, or is there some restrictions regarding Schengen visas?? 

It is no longer possible for British passport to live full time in Spain without a visa, no. Without a visa, the longest a British passport holder can stay for is 90 days within any 180 day period.

I don't know how easy it is or isn't to get a visa for a longer stay.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Kinok Farang said:

No doubt all the good people in CR will be heart broken and crushed that you won't be living there.  Have you been there or did you just decide that it is a dump?  Please do share your vast CR experience with all of us as to when and how long you examined CR to determine that it is a "dump".   Or did you see some you tuber who convinced you?

• Like 1

I would have to say with all sincerity that Patong is one of the worst places I've ever been on this planet. I hope and I pray that I never end up back there again. There are some very beautiful areas of Phuket, but for me the Russian infiltration is a huge issue. I'm just not fond of them, at all. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, pomchop said:

No doubt all the good people in CR will be heart broken and crushed that you won't be living there.  Have you been there or did you just decide that it is a dump?  Please do share your vast CR experience with all of us as to when and how long you examined CR to determine that it is a "dump".   Or did you see some you tuber who convinced you?

I lived in Phan 20 years ago and visited regularly over the years.I spent a month there about 6 years ago.Nowt much had changed but to each our own i suppose.Now if i had met you there things might have been different.Oh well.

Edited by Kinok Farang
Spelin mistake

On 2/9/2024 at 11:03 PM, Expat68 said:

Try Loei province, years ago it was in the middle of nowhere, little amenities for the westerners. Today the city of Loei has its own airport, Makro, Lotus, Big C, Global, cycling club, gym clubs, football club, aerobics/yoga. Many foreigners like Loei because it has seasons, in winter can be cold (not for long) Mountains close to Lao border

I was last in Loei back in 2000 over New Year's on a cycling trip.  It does sound as if it has changed a bit since then.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 9:01 PM, Lacessit said:

If you have never been there, you won't know what attractions it has. If you have, given your attitude, you would probably miss most of them.

Having been in Pattaya a few times, I would sooner chew razor blades than be a resident there. Phuket sounds like Pattaya squared.

Ah, so you have been to central Pattaya bars? Beach Road, Walking Street a few years back or Soi Boukhao lately?

I've been living East Pattaya 11+ years with wifey.

Brilliant. 

Enjoy your razor blades.

Don't be too quick to judge.🙃🙃

On 2/11/2024 at 1:36 AM, ChasingTheSun said:

People change, seasons change. People come, people go. Thats life.

Can anyone name a better place overall than Phuket?

Somewhere that is very well connected to the world, with good beaches, still relatively inexpensive, easy access to good hospitals and decent schools, good diverse dining, and world famous nightlife?

Yes, that's what I always have in mind, too. What are the real alternatives where you have the same level/amount of amenities + good beaches. The combination is just hard to find. If anybody knows any good alternative, please let me know. Does not have to be Thailand.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I was last in Loei back in 2000 over New Year's on a cycling trip.  It does sound as if it has changed a bit since then.

You would see a big difference, quite  a bit larger and more traffic but it still retains its Thai way of life and all the large shops on the outside of the city 

9 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Ah, so you have been to central Pattaya bars? Beach Road, Walking Street a few years back or Soi Boukhao lately?

I've been living East Pattaya 11+ years with wifey.

Brilliant. 

Enjoy your razor blades.

Don't be too quick to judge.🙃🙃

If you are happy there, fine. It's just not my preferred place to live.

No longer interested in bars.