And so the exodus of quality expats begins. This time it's personal

Galong

On 2/9/2024 at 11:20 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

It would take a hell of a lot to convince me to visit Chiang Rai, even for a day. 😉 

The White Temple is worth it, definitely. Just go before the Chinese hordes return as it's horrible when they descend on it.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/9/2024 at 11:18 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I am amazed how many people still go to Phuket, for holiday or to live there.

I was there the first time 30 years ago and at that time it was an obvious rip-off. Did it improve over the years? Obviously not.

I wonder if anybody who decided to live there do any research? 

We might have passed each other then! I thought it was OK, but the taxi rip off was a big problem till I discovered the bus.

On 2/10/2024 at 2:04 AM, BritManToo said:

Me too for 14 years, but I've not 'invested' my future in her, and she's essentially instantly replaceable by another one younger and prettier. Don't get me wrong, I love her, but I could love a different one (if required).

33% of the OP pals leaving where "Thai girl done me wrong", never base your life around trusting one woman.

I only left because I couldn't get pension in LOS, but that undoubtedly brought the divorce on. I can still see her face when I told her we'd have to "economise".

I'd have stayed there even if I could never afford another shag, but I couldn't afford the medical insurance.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I only left because I couldn't get pension in LOS, but that undoubtedly brought the divorce on. I can still see her face when I told her we'd have to "economise".

I'd have stayed there even if I could never afford another shag, but I couldn't afford the medical insurance.

I would view 'another shag' as a more important expense than health insurance.

On 2/10/2024 at 4:48 AM, Lemsta69 said:

Only the really good places are spoil-worthy, otherwise all the one-horse towns world would have been overrun already 😹

That certainly applied to all the decent beaches in LOS. They went from paradise to concrete hell this century. Even the little gem of Haad Khom had started building the flash packer palaces, which was always the beginning of the end for a beach.

4 hours ago, zzzzz said:

wow; I dont like patong, BUT to label it the worst place on this planet, i can only assume u do not travel much

I travel alot. Though, thankfully I have not been to Russia, or Chechnya. Nor Somalia, or the South Sudan. I would imagine those places might be worse that Patong. But, I see nothing in Patong that even remotely resembles anything appealing. Except the restaurant Napoli. That was excellent Italian food.

On 2/9/2024 at 10:19 AM, Lacessit said:

It would take a hell of a lot to pry me loose from Chiang Rai, although I suppose Chiang Rai is not high on the riff-raff bucket list of places they can spoil for others.

Visited Chiang Rai once with my wife for a few days and we both thought it was really nice. 

However, that was in a December, so not sure about smoke pollution throughout the year .... any thoughts on that if you are there permanently .... thanks 

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I travel alot. Though, thankfully I have not been to Russia, or Chechnya. Nor Somalia, or the South Sudan. I would imagine those places might be worse that Patong. But, I see nothing in Patong that even remotely resembles anything appealing. Except the restaurant Napoli. That was excellent Italian food.

Have all the ladies left Patong then, or do you not sully yourself with such vile past times?

Patong was never that great, even 30 or more years ago, but it wasn't that bad either. The main problem was the taxi rip offs, and the beach was very average. I only stayed there on my way to Phi Phi, and it was better than the very boring Phuket town. Once Phi Phi got ruined I had no reason to visit Phuket anyway.

• Agree 1

On 2/9/2024 at 6:43 PM, Celsius said:

Phuket is not Thailand, Pattaya is not Thailand, Bangkok is not Thailand. I have never seen such massive delusions on any other forum. You all paint Thailand as the place that is some kind of last oasis left on this planet and nothing can be further from the truth.

BTW, me and Mrs Celsius also left Thailand in style yesterday....

1707479135384.jpg

1707479171900.jpg

1707479222842.jpg

IMG_20240208_211004_255.jpg

IMG_20240208_212800_676.jpg

IMG_20240208_052711_338.jpg

IMG_20240208_052803_027.jpg

IMG_20240208_053240_614.jpg

IMG_20240208_144645_331.jpg

30 minutes after landing she was on her way out with permanent residence and all the information on how to apply for assistance and a health card.

Permanent residence in Taipei or was that just a stopover??

• 2 months later...
On 2/11/2024 at 5:24 AM, zhounan said:

Let's be serious, the thought of settling in Thailand in those who are truly rich does not pass for a second. 

The nexus Quality expat-Thailand is a myth.

If I were rich I would live in Sardinia, Spain, Greece, certainly not Thailand.

I would say more like Monaco or Switzerland if you're talking really rich. Or an exclusive Island somewhere. Thailand is still a nice spot. Not that many tropical areas that are relatively safe and I have known quite a lot of expats that have done very well for themselves. Maybe not Swiss villa looking onto the alps type of guys, but still. 

On 2/9/2024 at 8:20 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

It would take a hell of a lot to convince me to visit Chiang Rai, even for a day. 😉 

that was lacessits point, it keeps the riff raff away.

On 2/9/2024 at 8:20 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

that was lacessits point, it keeps the riff raff away.