My Last Electric Bill, Ever!

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

Now solar panel prices have dropped to ฿5/Watt, solar makes a good off-grid solution.

I have an electric pole 10m from my house, but I have chosen to give my meter back to PEA.

I have solar and home batteries and I use my EV which has bi-directional charging for extra backup power.

Typical that PEA did not disconnect the live feed cables at the top end, but simply taped the bottom ends. Not very safe at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

Now solar panel prices have dropped to ฿5/Watt, solar makes a good off-grid solution.

Please explain to me. I use about 20kW hours per day @ Bht 5 per unit = Bht 3000 per month.

How can this solar supply be more economical please?

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, TorquayFan said:

Thanks Bandersnatch - you are a pioneer for sure. I wonder about the bi-directional EV model/make and what it cost. It's impressive that you can drive your EV around and have enough charge left to help in the house - I'm assuming that you don't charge your EV outside as that would make no sense - i.e. to not use your own (previous) mains connection.

How will the project look when the car is much older and the batteries decline a little ? BTW I wonder if you run A/C's at night and how the car would cope with that if the house batteries are low due to bad weather.

My main objection to EV is that they are ideal for some situations and NOT for many others. I also believe that Govts. should not be incentivising EV's - the market should be trusted to do that job.

ATB

Several impressive situations for sure.

A farang acquaintance told me recently he purchases a solar 'set up' to create enough charge to run one a/c all night and it worked well, so he bought a second unit.

Any comments on this much appreciated.

Why, because our family is big, my Thai son has 3 very young kids and we run 3 a/c's most of the night, so our bill is pretty high, if son can establish more positive comments re solar just for a/c's he intends to buy.

(By the way, I'm not looking for snide / judgemental comments on a/c's for kids.) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I actually expect both, solar system ESSs/batteries and the EV to last about 20 years without any major issues, since both are LFP chemistry.

You are very optimistic about getting 400,000 km from an EV, and for the batteries to not need replacing several times in 20 years. What's LFP please?

• Like 1

@Bandersnatch

To be honest, I find myself envious of your off-grid solar energy setup, as it offers independence from the conventional electrical grid. While I have the financial means to invest in such a project, unfortunately, I lack the expertise.

Considering replacing one of my cars, I'm contemplating an electric vehicle like the NETA V for our short shopping trips around town. Fueling it from solar produced energy sounds immensely attractive and sensible. However, I'm curious about the skills required for maintaining such an elaborate solar setup in comparison to a conventional electrical grid installation.

As I am getting older, I also wonder about the long-term sustainability of such a system, especially in the event that my wife might have to manage the solar installation alone. In our village, there's a skilled person proficient in rewiring houses with breaker boxes and earthing equipment, but he admits to having no knowledge of solar installations and their components.

Given my age, it's a concern that my wife or her relatives may not possess the skills needed to maintain, fix, or troubleshoot issues with the solar setup. Have you considered this aspect, and if so, do you have any plans in place for the future management of your solar installation?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, CharlesHolzhauer said:

@Bandersnatch

To be honest, I find myself envious of your off-grid solar energy setup, as it offers independence from the conventional electrical grid. While I have the financial means to invest in such a project, unfortunately, I lack the expertise.

Considering replacing one of my cars, I'm contemplating an electric vehicle like the NETA V for our short shopping trips around town. Fueling it from solar produced energy sounds immensely attractive and sensible. However, I'm curious about the skills required for maintaining such an elaborate solar setup in comparison to a conventional electrical grid installation.

As I am getting older, I also wonder about the long-term sustainability of such a system, especially in the event that my wife might have to manage the solar installation alone. In our village, there's a skilled person proficient in rewiring houses with breaker boxes and earthing equipment, but he admits to having no knowledge of solar installations and their components.

Given my age, it's a concern that my wife or her relatives may not possess the skills needed to maintain, fix, or troubleshoot issues with the solar setup. Have you considered this aspect, and if so, do you have any plans in place for the future management of your solar installation?

There a few approaches to solar that attract people for different reasons.

There is the full on DIY approach including building up batteries with individual cells. Such an approach is definitely the cheapest but would be very difficult to support.

The other extreme is have a professional company source all the components and install them. They will manage the warranty process and will offer annual checks and panel cleaning. You get what you pay for.

I am in the middle. I purchased all the panels, inverters and batteries myself. I then employed a Thai company to install and supply all the ancillary items. They offer no warranty but can be paid to problem fix. I dealt with the manufacturers to ensure the installation was correct. 

In your case I would recommend a professional installation with warranty and support. DM me if you want suggestions 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

don't count your chickens before they are hatched... talk to us in a few months as how smart was your idea to give

back the meter...

I don't think he gave the meter back, why would someone do that? II don't think it costs anything to keep the meter, Am I correct? 

That way during the rainy season where you might not produce anything you can draw from the matter and when you produce more than you consume , you can feed back .

• Haha 1