My Last Electric Bill, Ever!

11 hours ago, KhunLA said:

No

Thanks KhunLa. That is my biggest concern. from what I read you need an inverter which I am sure solar has anyway to make the power work. But thanks I am more inclined to invest in solar now.

18 minutes ago, Beardog said:

Thanks KhunLa. That is my biggest concern. from what I read you need an inverter which I am sure solar has anyway to make the power work. But thanks I am more inclined to invest in solar now.

We use a laptop, while using our 65" TV as our monitor.  No problem and better than the grid, as the inverter provides a steady current, unlike the ever fluctuating grid power.  Which wreaks havoc on electronics.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

This is a common misconception made by visitors to Thailand that only see the big cities and resort towns.

In fact the vast majority of Thais live in detached houses giving plenty of opportunities for adding solar.

IMG_0511.jpeg.cbe75e01858d9625be93f01adede7db9.jpeg

Interesting. Thailand has become alot more developed since 2010, almost 15 years ago and that means massive amounts of condos have been built in Bangkok, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Phuket etc since then as people leave the countryside and move to cities where there is more work and opportunities available. I would think these stats have changed alot.

6 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Phone batteries and EV batteries are not the same. Leave your phone out in the sun here for a few minutes and it shuts down. EVs have active cooling. My car has a 580km range when it is new. The warranty on the battery is 8 years or 160,000km. If the capacity drops to less than 70% in that time (worse case scenario) the battery will be replaced. So after 8 years it will still have over 400km of range and fast 150kW charging speed.

Just so I have it clear.

BYD will replace your battery if the car won't drive more than 400kms up to that 8 years period, The last day of that 8 year period if you cant drive more than 400kms they will under warranty replace it for you for free?

Or they will replace the battery if the vehicle software doesn't show that the battery is below 70% capacity within 8 years?

After 8 years your on you own?

Edited by Startmeup
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

Just so I have it clear.

BYD will replace your battery if the car won't drive more than 400kms up to that 8 years period, The last day of that 8 year period if you cant drive more than 400kms they will under warranty replace it for you for free?

Or they will replace the battery if the vehicle software doesn't show that the battery is below 70% capacity within 8 years?

After 8 years your on you own?

Would imagine they'd do a battery capacity test, to find out why, and if just one or 2 modules not up to par, then they'd probably replace those, and hopefully give you the option to upgrade any others, while they have it opened up.

Degradation of >30% would be rare to lose over 8 years.  As an example, our MG ZS EV,

I estimate will lose <5% over our 8 year / 180k km warranty.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Would imagine they'd do a battery capacity test, to find out why, and if just one or 2 modules not up to par, then they'd probably replace those, and hopefully give you the option to upgrade any others, while they have it opened up.

Degradation of >30% would be rare to lose over 8 years.  As an example, our MG ZS EV,

I estimate will lose <5% over our 8 year / 180k km warranty.

Thats incredible, where do those estimates come from?

Who makes the MG batteries? CATL maybe. BYD produce their own if im not mistaken. 

4 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

Thats incredible, where do those estimates come from?

Who makes the MG batteries? CATL maybe. BYD produce their own if im not mistaken. 

Read the link, as that was my unscientific estimate, though I think quite accurate, as the car's metering of all things is quite accurate.

Yes, MG uses CATL batteries, and BYD used their own of course, along with many other EV manufacturers.

Edited by KhunLA

55 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

Interesting. Thailand has become alot more developed since 2010, almost 15 years ago and that means massive amounts of condos have been built in Bangkok, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Phuket etc since then as people leave the countryside and move to cities where there is more work and opportunities available. I would think these stats have changed alot.

"I would think these stats have changed alot"

10% in 2010 and you think it is now over 50%

But no evidence offered to support your thinking.  

condo.jpg.7b13598e2214668a453cf5afa8414ca8.jpg

On 2/10/2024 at 8:57 AM, scorecard said:

Several impressive situations for sure.

A farang acquaintance told me recently he purchases a solar 'set up' to create enough charge to run one a/c all night and it worked well, so he bought a second unit.

Any comments on this much appreciated.

Why, because our family is big, my Thai son has 3 very young kids and we run 3 a/c's most of the night, so our bill is pretty high, if son can establish more positive comments re solar just for a/c's he intends to buy.

(By the way, I'm not looking for snide / judgemental comments on a/c's for kids.) 

you can only run an ac from solar during the night if you have a battery.  This battery is charged from the sun during the day (or from the grid) and the power from the battery can be used at night.  Its the cost of the batterys that make solar very expensive.  It can be a very good investment if your kwh useage is large, but if you only use about 10 a day, it would take a long time to re claim your investment

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, nickmondo said:

It can be a very good investment if your kwh useage is large, but if you only use about 10 a day, it would take a long time to re claim your investment

I have already shared my payback.

IMG_1545.thumb.jpeg.e64f8c8ff5685f836dddbcb5e2d66f06.jpeg

Using these figures for your example of 10kWh/day usage

5,000 watts of PV @ ฿5/W = ฿25,000

5kWh of BESS @ ฿5k/kWh = ฿25,000

5kW of Inversion @ ฿5k/kW = ฿25,000

Total cost (not including installation and ancillaries) = ฿75,000

Savings

PEA Bill 3,650kWh/yr @ ฿5/kWh = ฿18,250/year

Payback = 4 years

Or 

Total cost including installation and ancillaries (estimated)  = ฿100,000

Savings

Payback = 5.5 years

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, nickmondo said:

you can only run an ac from solar during the night if you have a battery.  This battery is charged from the sun during the day (or from the grid) and the power from the battery can be used at night.  Its the cost of the batterys that make solar very expensive.  It can be a very good investment if your kwh useage is large, but if you only use about 10 a day, it would take a long time to re claim your investment

That would depend if you are home during the say, and how much your system cost.  3kw invert w/6 panels doesn't add up to a lot.

52 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I have already shared my payback.

IMG_1545.thumb.jpeg.e64f8c8ff5685f836dddbcb5e2d66f06.jpeg

Using these figures for your example of 10kWh/day usage

5,000 watts of PV @ ฿5/W = ฿25,000

5kWh of BESS @ ฿5k/kWh = ฿25,000

5kW of Inversion @ ฿5k/kW = ฿25,000

Total cost (not including installation and ancillaries) = ฿75,000

Savings

Payback = 4 years

Or 

Total cost including installation and ancillaries (estimated)  = ฿100,000

Savings

Payback = 5.5 years

So you concede he’s right and you’re wrong… 🙄

🤣🤣

18 minutes ago, lom said:

Right about what?

He’s right about nothing son. 

One guy voiced an opinion backed by nothing and another gave a detailed analysis that corrected said opinions with  detailed costings. 

Nothing wrong with opinions but if you’re talking to experts you should be asking more than stating… and most of the guys stating in here know very little about the topic at hand. 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/10/2024 at 3:24 PM, Bandersnatch said:

You should watch my other videos on my channel about how I setup V2L. Basically I used a transfer switch to select between 2 sources of ac power input. In your case the grid and V2L. Set your inverter to SBU (solar first, then Battery, then Utility) with Utility if there is no V2L it will switch to PEA/MEA

I have single phase so I can’t say for certain that it would work. Does your inverter have the option to accept a generator input?

Have seen your Video, but how such a Switch can be installed with a 3 phase System? Would it be an option to have a 3 phase Hybrid Inverter and connect the V2L System to the Port where usually the Solar Battery is connected?

Edited by UWEB

7 minutes ago, UWEB said:

Have seen your Video, but how such a Switch can be installed with a 3 phase System? Would it be an option to have a 3 phase Hybrid Inverter and connect the V2L System to the Battery Port?

As I’ve never used 3 phase or any 3 phase solar equipment, I don’t feel a can answer your questions. Power coming from V2L will be single phase you need to find a way to integrate the single phase into your system. Do you split the phases across different zones of your house? In which case you could treat one of the zones as a UPS using V2L.

• Like 1