How is Retirement treating you?

1 hour ago, amykat said:

I guess your relationship has been perfect for 17 years because you pay a lot??  So no complaints and lots of compliance!

It all depends on what consider to be a lot and what you deem to be compliant ?

Since I had to split my hard earned assets 50/50 with my X wife of 12 sad years back in the old country because of the laws that be there, I learned that it won't ever happen again, ever !

That said, I find it is much easier to live a good life here with a partner who appreciates the life we westerners with money can provide for them here, at a fraction of the cost that it would cost us compared to the old country.

The main benefit for me apart from being gloated upon 24/7 is that I have my freedom whenever I choose, without having to consult (mummy), I am not shown jealousy, have someone who wants to cook for me, wash for me, iron for me, and satisfy my desires, without having a headache, or being too tired, typically a western woman in my opinion.

Now you might ask, is it really love, well what is love, that said, I feel it is, even though she's much younger than me, and yes it does cost me, but nowhere near what it would cost me back in the old country, and as mentioned, this one cooks, washes, irons and satisfies me.

Is she a slave you might ask or think, maybe in her own mind, but to me, she is free to do as she wants, frankly, I can't stop her from being domesticated, as much as she loves it, it also satisfies me to see someone so organised and wanting to please, not only herself, but her loved one, what can I say, I can't argue with the girl, that is also something else we don't do, sounds to perfect to be true doesn't it, but wait, there's more, if it ever goes pare shaped, I lose the whole 10% that I have invested all these years, and got to live here as well, in "her house" that I built and paid for, heaven forbid, she earned it, now if she outlives me, she gets the balance, sounds like a fair love story to me, how about you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I certainly don't understand why so many come here and repeat all the stuff and mistakes they made before.

Getting married, houses, kids, dogs, buying cars, accumulating stuff, garages and yards full of things they don't need. 

Read my post 2 up, if you would, suffice to say there are exceptions.

Being single and the freedom is so much better I think. Busy everyday with something and lots of friends.  Renting is great so much flexibility and when I travel just close the door and go not worrying about anything.  Infinity pool, nice gym, and I pay one bill every month.

But to each their own. 

Of course, each to their own, sounds like you haven't found the right one yet, and may just not find the right one, but that's ok, life goes on, sadly though, but hey, as long as your happy, each to their own.

Also, many of the guys I see in bars are married.  Stuck in lousy relationships with a bunch of baggage and depressed they need the drink to get through the day.

I feel sorry for them.

I find the bar that I frequent that has many expats married to Thai ex bargirls if you like to be mostly content/happy with their lives, sure some go through a patch, don't all marriages go through that, and of course it's just a matter of sifting through the problem and negotiating, because without negotiations, you have Ukraine/Russia or Israel/Palestine so to speak. 

I only feel sorry for the ones that don't know the art of negotiating, as I find Thai women to be very amicable when it comes to this.

Edited by 4MyEgo

2 hours ago, retarius said:

Well if that makes them happy, why not? Some people make life choices which are different from out own, but your comment sounds judgemental, and who are you to judge? 'Judge not, lest you be yourself, judged'.

I don't see many happy people sitting in bars utilizing the services of prostitutes, do you?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

OK, fine.

Now...

Please just name your TOP 10 books, of all time.

And then, we will know if you are a real reader.

"East of Eden", John Steinbeck

"The Fortunes of Richard Mahoney" Henry Handel Richardson

"A Tale of Two Cities" Charles Dickens

"Wuthering Heights" Emily Bronte

"The Sands of Windee" Arthur Upfield

"Journey into Russia" Sir Laurens van der Post

" Great Short Stories of The World"

"Dune" Frank Herbert

"Foundation" Isaac Asimov

"The Canterbury Tales" Geoffrey Chaucer

Bonus: "Dragonflight", Anne McCaffrey

" The Thorn Birds" Colleen McCullough

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

"East of Eden", John Steinbeck

"The Fortunes of Richard Mahoney" Henry Handel Richardson

"A Tale of Two Cities" Charles Dickens

"Wuthering Heights" Emily Bronte

"The Sands of Windee" Arthur Upfield

"Journey into Russia" Sir Laurens van der Post

" Great Short Stories of The World"

"Dune" Frank Herbert

"Foundation" Isaac Asimov

"The Canterbury Tales" Geoffrey Chaucer

Are these for a man or a female reader?

57 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I meant respectfully name his Top 10 books of all time.

Can I play ... 

... 'Of Mice & Men'

... 'Julius Caesar'  ... both while in High School

... 'Jaws' ... first & only book I ever read in 1 sitting

... 'The Firm'

... 'A Time to Kll'

... 'Runaway Jury'

... 'Without Remorse' 

... 'Debt of Honor'

... 'Executive Order'

... 'Sum of All Fears'

A few other Grissom & Clancy books.   Another author that escapes my memory.  Lots of financial & investing books.  Reading most at work @ NWA in down time, as just plain bored, and time flies reading a decent book.  Only read the first 3 books, not at work/NWA, as wasn't really big on reading.  Investing reading was kind of mandatory for me, all the time, any time.   

Maybe read 2 books since retiring to TH.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I only feel sorry for the ones that don't know the art of negotiating, as I find Thai women to be very amicable when it comes to this.

They are not negotiating...................they are playing with you.

• Haha 1

Age brings many "gifts" most of them unwanted and boredom is probably one of the least threatening since you can address it without doctors, operations or pills everyday.

In the 60's there was a popular book by Sanuel Beckett called "Waiting for Godot" which I see as an allegory for old age and the inevitable consequence - here's a synopsis.

Waiting for Godot, tragicomedy in two acts by Irish writer Samuel Beckett, published in 1952 in French as En attendant Godot and first produced in 1953. Waiting for Godot was a true innovation in drama and the Theatre of the Absurd’s first theatrical success.

The play consists of conversations between Vladimir and Estragon, who are waiting for the arrival of the mysterious Godot, who continually sends word that he will appear but who never does. They encounter Lucky and Pozzo, they discuss their miseries and their lots in life, they consider hanging themselves, and yet they wait. Often perceived as being tramps, Vladimir and Estragon are a pair of human beings who do not know why they were put on earth; they make the tenuous assumption that there must be some point to their existence, and they look to Godot for enlightenment. Because they hold out hope for meaning and direction, they acquire a kind of nobility that enables them to rise above their futile existence.

Being bored whilst waiting for the inevitable surely must be a waste of those precious days.

Edited by Negita43

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Reading novels tops my list, currently working through on the 'Jack Reacher' series ....... about 20 books .... 10 own.

The rest of my time I just waste watching movies and listening to music.

Been retired for nearly 25 years, still happy enough.

after about book 20 Lee Child started co-writing with his son I think - slightly different but not much.  Have you watched any of the "Reacher" TV series - at least they opted for a guy the correct size according to Child's description.  LIked the 4-year series...now awaiting the next year.  If you like the demeanor of the Reacher character, on Prime movies there a multitude of Korean movies with the

same demeanor character.  The Korean drama movies are unlike most Asian movies/series, very little emoting with some great stories.  My daughter taught herself Korean language while she was

studying Chinese in school (5years) and was getting awards for being a great Chinese-language student/teacher.  She scored up to level-4 in the annual Korean govt global test and only hasn't gone

further as self-taught needs someone to speak to and listen as well as expository writing of that language.  I have read all the Reacher books...saw the movies but a star half the size of the Reacher character just didn't wow me at all.

3 hours ago, Nemises said:

Lots of different beach resorts, islands, provinces and beautiful Thai girls to fill their time.

Those lucky guys would be wondering about the married guys stuck in one place with one female for the duration of their retirement. 

Yet there are those of us who are married and don't wonder about lucky guys you are referring too, you see some of us can have that extra piece of cake when we want too, as rare as it maybe, no need for me to beat my own drum, it is what it is, that said, as I said to my wife from the outset, I know who I am and what I want in life, i.e. that occasional different piece of cake that I see crossing my path.

Can't say I know of any guys with as big a balls as mine, also can't say I know any women that would accept that, except my wife, that said, I'm happy, she's happy, that's all that matters.

Before you ask the question, I will answer it with a yes, what's good for the Goose, is good for the Gander.

Life Is Like A Box Of Chocolates Forrest Gump

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Please just name your TOP 10 books, of all time.

And then, we will know if you are a real reader.

Not possible. As anyone who is a real reader would know.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Presnock said:

after about book 20 Lee Child started co-writing with his son I think - slightly different but not much

For me these books still have good plots but don't hang togeter quite so well as a story.

Also Series 2 Reacher on Prime did not impress me at all - but I hope they try again.

I also Like the Connelly Books - Bosch and the Prime Series

54 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Can I play ... 

... 'Of Mice & Men'

... 'Julius Caesar'  ... both while in High School

... 'Jaws' ... first & only book I ever read in 1 sitting

... 'The Firm'

... 'A Time to Kll'

... 'Runaway Jury'

... 'Without Remorse' 

... 'Debt of Honor'

... 'Executive Order'

... 'Sum of All Fears'

A few other Grissom & Clancy books.   Another author that escapes my memory.  Lots of financial & investing books.  Reading most at work @ NWA in down time, as just plain bored, and time flies reading a decent book.  Only read the first 3 books, not at work/NWA, as wasn't really big on reading.  Investing reading was kind of mandatory for me, all the time, any time.   

Maybe read 2 books since retiring to TH.

John Grissom is my all time favorite

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Many end up drinking and sitting at bars and/or having relationships with prostitutes.

Nothing wrong with that Jimmy, if its what the consumer likes and does it in moderation.

imop 

• Thumbs Up 1

There's was a wonderful gap of about a year after I stopped working full time and the 'part time' consulting work hadn't got going. 

I was in heaven ... house near the sea, running, cycling, messing with a kayak, motorbike trips and watching the young Missus doing the housework whilst she's wearing minimal clothing. 

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think I'd never get bored if I stopped all work.

The consulting work I do is interesting, but having fixed appointments every week makes trips difficult and interrupts longer rides, runs, paddling.

But the idea of no income except pensions scares me, so I work.  I worry I may be working until I croak.

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

I don't see many happy people sitting in bars utilizing the services of prostitutes, do you?

All I'm saying is don't judge. You sound kinda sad yourself.

I have been many times to bars in Pattaya when I have visited (I don't live there), yes there are some lonely old men, drinking very early in the day alone and I see them as I walk past, but when I have been there are happy people there as well, having a laugh....or maybe having a laugh is a bad thing? To tell the truth I have usually gone to bars with a crowd of people and am too busy being happy having a laugh to notice all the sad people. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I only read books written by male native English speakers, and none written by the overtly religious. 

Publishers often try to disguise books written by women by only using their initials, so those are also to be avoided.

No need to use bookshops, Z Library has everything for free.

IMHO the best bookstore for English language books in Thailand is Kunokuniya in Siam Paragon. They do books by mail as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1