How is Retirement treating you?

23 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes, possible.

Although, your list will change, over time.

I left out "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett. One helluva book.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I left out "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett. One helluva book.

Indeed.  Here he is, writing his spy thrilers, and then, out of the blue, comes Pillars.   Quite the change of pace!  I've enjoyed all the books in the series.

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I feel like I'm in that same situation, (in my case I was way too early) although I don't think I would have much luck getting an enjoyable job back in the Usa at my age.

That's probably the reason why I move around a lot like Run Tum Tugger and always rent. More then one year in one location one does tend to run out of new things to do around that area, and if you're not working that can be a problem. Not being able to work at most anything or own land are additional drawbacks in Thailand that seem to push people into spending at bars, etc rather then building their situation in life.

Maybe the older retired are stationary because they have to be, not because they want to be.

I rather liked the reference to Rum Tum Tugger.

One of my favorite poems, and maybe that's why I am a cat guy; a little feisty and often at odds with the world

Edited by GinBoy2

Getting bored in Thailand? Are you kidding?

1.Women "gym" and Ido not mean "professionals" but average middle class Thai woman 

2.Naturally gym at the beach or in swimming pool furthermore if you are overweight you can burn your fat by playing rackets (tennis ball) which it keeps also your mind on alert. 

When I visited Thailand I always complete my fitness daily program at the beach or .....in swimming pool in Bangkok after my work in foreign friends company and it is very excited to swim many laps on time.

Whats the trick to "exercise" also your lungs at the same time when you are swimming slowly at the beach or in swimming pool?

I used to do this "trick" during corona farytale black money period at home in Greece and it is a method called Buteyco. In few words you keep your breath for 10 -20-30 sec in order to remove dioxide from your artery in your body naturally.

When we measure oxygen by using oxymeter devise we expect a measure 97% and above for a healthy person  but it doesnt mean that our body dioxide is 3% because in order to measure bodys dioxide (artery dioxide) it needs another specific medical measurement.(spyrometry etc )

The best result to complete this test is to sit relax comfortably for 5 minutes in your office or in a kitchen chair to take 2-3 deep nose breathes and afterwards to take the last one breath and keep it slowly 10 sec or 20sec etc in your lungs in order to "burn" naturally your artery dioxide in your body. 

I breath deep and slowly with my nose by keeping my breath 10 -20-30 sec and exhale slowly but do not press yoursef if you feel uncomfortable.

I have usually completed 35sec -40sec once or twice per week five to six every time but I dont exclude and during the day sitting in sunshine.

Source: (it doesnt recommended to anyone who has any medical problem)

https://www.healthline.com/health/asthma/buteyko-breathing-technique#drawbacks

Edited by Paris333
  • Thumbs Up 1

Living dead central in a tourist location has been good for our boredom. We're around people having a mega-great day, all day, every day. They are the 100% opposite of bored.

Our building is about 90% Air BnB and we can spot the first day people. The slow turn of the head all around, to take it all in as they leave the condo. It's a little contagious. 

8 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

Living dead central in a tourist location has been good for our boredom. We're around people having a mega-great day, all day, every day. They are the 100% opposite of bored.

Our building is about 90% Air BnB and we can spot the first day people. The slow turn of the head all around, to take it all in as they leave the condo. It's a little contagious. 

That's weird. It sounds like you are glaring & staring at people. I hope you don't come over without being invited first.

51 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Retirement can be different for folks for a host of reasons.

You are obviously single and the chasing women thing is still a on your horizon.

But for some of us happily married for many years, had the kids, all grown up, Thailand can be boring, quite quickly.

With nothing to do, I used to get up in the morning go to the gym, come back, watch some TV, read a few books, and I  was kinda done, which is not a fulfilling way to live.

MrsG was so fed up with her job, she was working at maybe 20% of her potential, I couldn't work, so boredom and frustration can set in fairly rapidly.

Not to say thats what happens to everyone, but it did for me

Thailand is no different to anywhere, my friend just returned home after holiday in Thailand and said home is also boring 😊

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

It sounds like you are glaring & staring at people. 

They're staring at me. I have a key card. And can also tell them where to get one.

The lobby office, of course, but many need help grasping that concept.

Thank you for many great stories about happy time in Thailand!

I'm still looking for a place somewhere in the world.

Or I may go back to work. I've done that twice already and was more happy than doing nothing meaningful.

To have a good relationship is a key for good retirement - I think. So hard to find....

1 hour ago, GypsyT said:

Thank you for many great stories about happy time in Thailand!

I'm still looking for a place somewhere in the world.

Or I may go back to work. I've done that twice already and was more happy than doing nothing meaningful.

To have a good relationship is a key for good retirement - I think. So hard to find....

I must admit, regardless of where in the world I was living I'd not want to be alone in my final chapter.

I'm old enough to not really want or desire 'the chase' anymore.

Me and MrsG are I'd like to say are comfortable with each other, don't need to put on an act for each other, we know very well who each other is, been together so long.

So retirement when you finally do it, or semi retirement like me it might help if you have that 'comfortable' life with someone else.

MrsG will retire in another couple of years, and unlike me, pretty damn sure she will be totally OK staying at home cooking and watching Thai lakorns!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/11/2024 at 11:08 PM, JimTripper said:

I feel like I'm in that same situation, (in my case I was way too early) although I don't think I would have much luck getting an enjoyable job back in the Usa at my age.

That's probably the reason why I move around a lot like Run Tum Tugger and always rent. More then one year in one location one does tend to run out of new things to do around that area, and if you're not working that can be a problem. Not being able to work at most anything or own land are additional drawbacks in Thailand that seem to push people into spending at bars, etc rather then building their situation in life.

Maybe the older retired are stationary because they have to be, not because they want to be.

Slightly off topic, but thank you for the reference.

I haven't read 'Old Possums's Book of Practical Cats' for many years.

But after your post I went back and reacquainted myself with some of those cats I loved so much when I first read the book as a young boy.

Rum Tum Tugger will always be my favorite, but Gumbie, Shibleshanks, Mungojerrie, Rumplteaser, are all in my heart

It was a good re-read 

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

Get a hobby, an absorbing one.

Now many will think this weird, but I am building a model railway.

I have long had an interest in Railways, in particular the Somerset and Dorset system in South West England, which closed in 1966. I have a large collection of books on this railway. I am building a model of a " might have been" branch line from Highbridge to Axemouth (Weston Super Mare), specifically the terminus station at Axemouth Wharf.

I am fascinated by, and enjoy immensely, creating timetables, locomotive and rolling stock diagrams,and recreating them in 2 mm scale. The aim to produce as realistic as possible model facsimile of a particular " might have been" piece of railway from 1960.

Many will say it is weird. Perhaps it is, but I still enjoy a normal social life, and occasional adventures in the nightlife arena, in fact this post may be slightly incoherent as I have just returned from a night of minor debauchery.

My daughter (18) thinks I am bonkers (maybe I am) but her friends, male and female are fascinated by my model trains!

As the only shop I am aware of in the Kingdom which is a Peco agent is in Bangkok it gives me an excuse for an occasional foray into "the smoke"!

Was you a train driver?

Did you work on the railway??

If your in Pattaya there is a guy who owns a cafe and builds train sets with match sticks 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Was you a train driver?

Did you work on the railway??

If your in Pattaya there is a guy who owns a cafe and builds train sets with match sticks 

I was never employed on the railways.

In the UK we have a phenomena known as "preserved" or "heritage" railways. These are lines which British Railways closed in the 60s and 70s, and were taken over and are run by preservation societies using restored steam locomotives rescued from scrapyards and rebuilt. Most of the staff are volunteers, but they are trained and examined under the (strict) supervision of the Railways Inspectorate.

One such Railway is the West Somerset Railway. A former branch line from Taunton to Minehead it was reopened in stages from 1976. I was a volunteer for many years, and was "passed" as a fireman, diesel locomotive driver, signalman and guard. I ended up as the Railway's Guards Inspector, responsible for examining and assessing guards.

So never employed, but heavily involved for over twenty years, and yes I was a train driver.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

In the UK we have a phenomena known as "preserved" or "heritage" railways. These are lines which British Railways closed in the 60s and 70s, and were taken over and are run by preservation societies using restored steam locomotives rescued from scrapyards and rebuilt. Most of the staff are volunteers, but they are trained and examined under the (strict) supervision of the Railways Inspectorate.

One such Railway is the West Somerset Railway. A former branch line from Taunton to Minehead it was reopened in stages from 1976. I was a volunteer for many years, and was "passed" as a fireman, diesel locomotive driver, signalman and guard. I ended up as the Railway's Guards Inspector, responsible for examining and assessing guards.

So never employed, but heavily involved for over twenty years, and yes I was a train driver.

As a matter of interest do they have still have Conductors/guards on the trains in the UK , usually their role is to blow the whistle,open & close the doors for passengers, 

4 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

As a matter of interest do they have still have Conductors/guards on the trains in the UK , usually their role is to blow the whistle,open & close the doors for passengers, 

Yes they do. If the railway uses locomotives and "slam door" carriages they must have one.

The guards role is perhaps best likened to airline cabin crew. Their primary role is in protecting the train in case of failure (breakdown), and safety on board the train, evacuation of the train in case of fire and so on. He/she also traditionally authorises the driver to move off using a whistle and green flag. Quaint and old fashioned, but also invaluable to warn people on a crowded platform.

10 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Yes they do. If the railway uses locomotives and "slam door" carriages they must have one.

The guards role is perhaps best likened to airline cabin crew. Their primary role is in protecting the train in case of failure (breakdown), and safety on board the train, evacuation of the train in case of fire and so on. He/she also traditionally authorises the driver to move off using a whistle and green flag. Quaint and old fashioned, but also invaluable to warn people on a crowded platform.

The engineer typically watches ahead of the train, the conductor, in the back of the train, typically watches the train itself.

22 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I've dreamt about this, and when I get home from Thailand I'm going to volunteer for my local heritage railroad

https://www.1880train.com/

4 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

I hope you buffs get to ride the rails in Myanmar. If you like old trains and cheap prices, it's two weeks minimum to see it all.

The Orient Express from Bangkok to Singapore is really nice, but it has gotten pretty expensive.