How is Retirement treating you?

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I only read books written by male native English speakers, and none written by the overtly religious. 

Publishers often try to disguise books written by women by only using their initials, so those are also to be avoided.

No need to use bookshops, Z Library has everything for free.

You might try Hermann Hesse, Thomas Mann, Gunter Grass, Dostoyevsky, Kafka, Ishiguro, Murakami as great foreign authors. I'm not familiar with Z library. I use Kindle but I have a library of 000s of print books too. 

I read a Jack Reacher novel but found it trite. You should read Banville, Rushdie, Trollope, Dickens, Thomas Hardy (probably the best author ever, imho)...and others too many to list.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Don't fit the criteria, but if getting bored, then must be time to  plan my next O&A, or new cooking adventure.  If all else fails, take the dog for a walk or to the park/surfside.

Food shopping (new ideas), got to eat, takes up some time, if eating good/healthy.  Baking something every other day (bread or pastry), along with kefir & natto lately.  Always a bird or critter nearby to take a snap of, or send a drone up for peeky peeky of the hood.

I'm actually quite happy doing absolutely nothing.

Last resort ... troll AN :coffee1:

Never was that much of a drinker of alcohol, outside of the house.  Once a month maybe.

Nice!

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, habuspasha said:

Retirement is treating me far better than I thought it would.  I enjoyed college teaching for over 50 years.  Only gave it up during covid, at the age of 81, afraid that if I contracted the disease and passed it on to my bedridden wife, I'd never forgive myself.  I am enormously thankful for the free time.  I come to Thailand 4 times a year (3 weeks each) now instead of 2 (2 weeks each) and am not limited to vacation periods.  I am not bored since I spend my time with my 42 year old Thai "wife."  I stopped  writing history and am  enjoying  trying my hand at historical fiction.  I keep my rental in Manhattan for an imagined future of half a year here and half a year there.  While my wife is alive (with late stage Alzheimer's) I am blessed with a superb care-giver for her.  The future is mixed, but in many ways I've felt younger.

So you have 2 wives?

27 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

So you have 2 wives?

They each consider me their husband.  My American wife since 1980 may not always remember my name but she seems to enjoy our regular WQXR Midday Mozart air-conducting and dancing from the wheelchair and our Netflix viewing  at night.  My Thai "wife" since 2014 knows she is next in line but expects correctly that someday she will be first.  There was no official ceremony.  Shortly after we met she had me buy a ring and she put it on the 4th finger of her left hand.  I told her:  In America that means we're married.  She said: Same in Thailand.  I ordered Champagne and we toasted.  (I suppose I even gave the family a sin sod in a house.)

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, habuspasha said:

Retirement is treating me far better than I thought it would.  I enjoyed college teaching for over 50 years.  Only gave it up during covid, at the age of 81, afraid that if I contracted the disease and passed it on to my bedridden wife, I'd never forgive myself.  I am enormously thankful for the free time.  I come to Thailand 4 times a year (3 weeks each) now instead of 2 (2 weeks each) and am not limited to vacation periods.  I am not bored since I spend my time with my 42 year old Thai "wife."  I stopped  writing history and am  enjoying  trying my hand at historical fiction.  I keep my rental in Manhattan for an imagined future of half a year here and half a year there.  While my wife is alive (with late stage Alzheimer's) I am blessed with a superb care-giver for her.  The future is mixed, but in many ways I've felt younger.

Wow ,I enjoyed reading your comment!

Best of luck in the future.

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I certainly don't understand why so many come here and repeat all the stuff and mistakes they made before.

Getting married

That's easy: Never did it before. First time at age 70. In fact the guy at the US Embassy when getting the marriage affidavit, to which I checked 'Never' married, said:

Are you SURE you want to swear to that ??

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Man, you don't have a clue.

I am never bored.

What do I do to avoid being bored?

I spend most of my time saving the Chinese.

(But, I do not save them like a missionary might.)

No fing beach or gym for me....and....this is why....I am...

Never bored.

I have a very good relationship with my adult Thai son, I spend a lot of great time with him and his great wife. Occupies my time and provides good discussions.

Also I have 4 Thai grandchildren (17, 12, 7, 6 months) I spend a lot of time with them, we cook together, we shop at Big C together, I help them with reading English and a lot more. 

I'm occupied and happy. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

The best advice I can give about how to have a productive retirement is to first decide what you want to do in retirement, and then decide where the best place is to accomplish what you want to do. Simply "living" in a foreign country is usually not enough of a plan, and usually a recipe for boredom and, too often, dissipation.

Aside from gardening, mountain bike riding, singing and cooking, I have increasingly devoted a lot of time to French language study, (advanced grammar, daily newspaper reading, French classical literature (de Balzac), and studying French medieval, Napoleonic, and WWII history which provides a very enjoyable virtual travel experience which I believe, in today's world of over-tourism, may be more rewarding and more stimulating than actual travel.  

Some people may find rural Thailand dreadful in terms of stimulation, and I can understand this to a certain extent, especially if there is a major language barrier. But, as I think the above example demonstrates, mental stimulation can be found anywhere, and a rural setting is conducive to philosophical reflection, being in touch with the soil and the cycle of life, and low stress.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

Some people may find rural Thailand dreadful in terms of stimulation, and I can understand this to a certain extent, especially if there is a major language barrier.

As I used to say living in rural Florida long before living in Isaan:

If you didn't bring it, it ain't there.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, riclag said:

I retired 20 yrs ago from my Teamster Truck driving career and went into making Jewelry with my now ex wife!

We sold it at Craft fairs ,Private Corporate  employee events,festivals throughout New England .

Wow what a lucrative racket that was.Bought sports cars  & a house in Aruba & Massachusetts and invested in properties ,all from revenue of that business.

I learned a lot about semi precious stones , even went on mining excursions with the Mineral club .

Like everything in life it stopped when we divorced ! I did it on my own until I met my current wife .

I had to sell everything and split it 50/50 with the ex . 
I have SS & a Teamster pension and savings from the assets we split.

We rented for 8 years here while looking for a ideal opportunity to build a house. It’s been 5 years now living in that house , the only regret are the small dogs that moved in next to us.

My wife is 22 years younger and what seems like everyday  she says Thank You to love me.She’s my best friend.

We went to the States last year to visit my adult children in California.Awesome time.

I tried to get my Thai step daughter a b1/b2 tourist visa but was denied , very disappointing.

Now we go on holiday down to the South of Thailand ,every year.

I play guitar , use to exercise for many years,stopped  temporarily , cook & bake dessert, putt around the garden , cut the grass, shopping 3 or 4 times a week . Go to Udon Thaini to visit my step daughter on weekends once a month.

Life is good.

Great story, I remember reading you lived in Central Valley. Late 90's I had a job driving truck Stockton to Delano. Small world.

• Thanks 1

I guess I'm semi retired. You can buy all sorts of things pretty cheaply here if you have the space for them.

On my list for the next couple of years (at least one or two this year):

1.) Komatsu PC200 360 excavator

2.) CNC milling machine, ideally 5 axis depending on cost

3.) CNC lathe, or possibly manual if the milling machine is top notch.

4.) Other various metalwork / woodwork tools.

Basically I want to try and make some <deleted>, dig some holes and play around.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

Oman is on sale with Intrepid Tours and the dates matched with other smoke season dodging options. I've always wanted to go to an empty quarter, sand dunes, Muslim desert, and Oman is a relatively welcoming one.

I eat middle eastern food at least once a week. Hummus Chiang Mai is as good as Greenwich Village or Beirut. I am looking forward to 5* dips and wood fired pita bread, the greatest meal on earth.

I respect your skepticism of people who claim they are never bored. This is ridiculous grandstanding.

In my average day (or even my average hour), I'll be bored, angry, depressed, elated, grateful, etc over and over again. Boredom is the ticket price for being alive. Just try not to let the tail wag the dog.

Napping is a great activity....

1 minute ago, Rumpelstilskin said:

I hope you warm up  , and do a bit of stretching , before napping, You do not want to pull a muscle. 

Perhaps a bit of snoozing before  napping might be a good idea. :tongue:

3 minutes ago, Rumpelstilskin said:

We def need relief from the oppressive retiree's here who are installing solar systems and planting avocado plantations.

To do nothing, or not much, to lie down when you feel like it, to kick some minor task into tomorrow. This is bliss.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Years back it was said a guy retiring to the Philippines had a life expectancy  of 5 years due to excess drinking and just not taking care of yourself including smoking and eating wrong foods.

Thanks, so glad I retired in Thailand then.

On 2/11/2024 at 7:42 AM, EVENKEEL said:

So, there are multiple ways for a retiree to spend his days here in Thailand I guess. I was calling Thailand my home for a good 10 yrs before I retired.  Had a kid, bought couple houses, cars all paid for. I have things to do here like a bit of yard work, taking care of the kid, the beach is nearby, nice gym. Having said that I find myself bored at times and I wonder about the guys who rent a place, no kids, no other family in Thailand, How do you fill your time, your days with constructive things. I can see where drinking can become part of a routine. 

There is always a group who says "I'm never bored" Really? Seems like the gym, golf and bike riding tops the list of entertainment. AN can become addictive as well.

Regarding the bored part, I was brought up in my childhood where the nearest house was three miles from me (not village or town) I had to make my own amusement. That is probably the reason I do not get bored

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 1:42 PM, EVENKEEL said:

So, there are multiple ways for a retiree to spend his days here in Thailand I guess. I was calling Thailand my home for a good 10 yrs before I retired.  Had a kid, bought couple houses, cars all paid for. I have things to do here like a bit of yard work, taking care of the kid, the beach is nearby, nice gym. Having said that I find myself bored at times and I wonder about the guys who rent a place, no kids, no other family in Thailand, How do you fill your time, your days with constructive things. I can see where drinking can become part of a routine. 

There is always a group who says "I'm never bored" Really? Seems like the gym, golf and bike riding tops the list of entertainment. AN can become addictive as well.

IMO no one is bored unless they want to be or are not able to self motivate.

As for retirement, I love it. I love that no <deleted> is telling me what to do with my time, I love getting up when I want to, eating when I want to, doing what I want to and going to sleep when I want to.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Retirement in Thailand has been wonderful.  I won't say I'm never bored but it's rare.  There's always plenty to do and I like to keep busy.  Two days a week we have a morning at a gym in town.  Evenings, it's usually Netflix and reading when we are at home, after an evening swim in our pool and a walk.  I like a project to work on and my spouse and I are in the beginnings of another house build, which should keep us busy and entertained for at least the first half of this year.   Life is good.

On 2/11/2024 at 7:42 AM, EVENKEEL said:

golf and bike riding

I would like for these two activities to become addictive, but I'm no longer a early morning person, which is when both of these activities should be engaged. Plus, I've now been 16 years on the artificial knee and 15 years on an artificial knee. I quit playing golf about 6 years ago because I needed to make them last.

I miss work. I was Supervisor and Superintendent in the petroleum business and was forced into retirement. We (wife and I) were not ready to retire (ie: caught me with my finances down) and son ready to finish high school and go to college. 

Retirement sucks. 

We love the stress free life of not being tied down. Did the family, house and kid thing back home. I feel sorry for grandfathers having another round of raising kids again. This time of our lives is all about enjoying our time after working for years. FREEDOM FREEDOM. Can't but a price on that. 

• Like 1