Chinese Man Falls to His Death From Pattaya Condo

webfact

On 2/13/2024 at 12:08 PM, CDG931 said:

Why are there so often such tragic events in Thailand? 
If this happens so frequently, whatever the reason, why not impose MUCH higher railings for balcony edges? 
If this could prevent 50% of accidents, that would already be something.

While they are at it they could impose a ban on not wear helmets, driving the wrong way down a one way street, they could ban drink driving... etc etc.

...  If you haven't picked up on the point I'm trying to make - its that there are perfectly good laws in place, but they are not enforced. 

I'm not sure of the law on balcony height... but at a couple of condo's I've stayed at in the past the height is near my chest.

In some cheaper hotels it was a lot lower and my assumption has always been that some 'city inspector' was paid off.

41 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Because you are reading news about incidents in Thailand.

This same thing happens in all areas with high tourist footfall... Spain, Cancun....

I'm not sure if the numbers of 'balcony falls' in Thailand or specifically, Pattaya, are disporportinately high compaured to the number of tourists.

It would need to measured in: Number of falls per 100,000 tourist days...  to achieve a comparable metric, 

If that was the case there would be headlines a few times everyday of this happening in Bangkok given the population but there isn’t.

10 minutes ago, Startmeup said:
54 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Because you are reading news about incidents in Thailand.

This same thing happens in all areas with high tourist footfall... Spain, Cancun....

I'm not sure if the numbers of 'balcony falls' in Thailand or specifically, Pattaya, are disporportinately high compaured to the number of tourists.

It would need to measured in: Number of falls per 100,000 tourist days...  to achieve a comparable metric, 

If that was the case there would be headlines a few times everyday of this happening in Bangkok given the population but there isn’t.

This happens in Bangkok too and there has been plenty of news...  but you are comparing 'gross population' of Bangkok to the 'gross population of Pattaya'... (Bangkok is about 7x larger than Chonburi).

It does seem that Pattaya has a disproportionately high number of balcony falls... but I wonder if thats not just because it also has a disproportionately higher number of people getting mashed...  

Or is it something as simple as balcony railing are actually lower in Pattaya and thats the difference ?

When authorities don't care about enforcing motorcycle helmet laws (with 20,000 motorcyclist dying a year), they're not going to care about balcony heights.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Startmeup said:

It doesn't happen daily in Pattaya either, but the demographics in Bangkok differ. Actually could not find comparative data, but quite a few balcony deaths for Bangkok do occur. 

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

but I wonder if thats not just because it also has a disproportionately higher number of people getting mashed...  

Likely so, in an altered state of mind from chemicals of some sort, mixed with failed relationships.

Also whats the best way to knock someone off in Pattaya if you’re connected well enough that it won’t be looked into? A balcony jumper is news for three days.