Facebook is rubbish at preventing scammers

scubascuba3

I've given up reporting scams on Facebook, all you get is an auto-note reply in about 30 seconds saying it does not go against their policies.

I belong to a motorcycle group on FB and 3 or 4 times a week there's some scammer posting parts for sale using photos from an old post. 

A reverse image search on Google Lens will find the original photos, and the Group Mods are good at banning the scammers, but then a new one will appear a few days later.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

In person isn't the same as COD which refers to usually a delivery company involved

Nope.

C.O.D..... CASH ON DELIVERY

Its an acronym.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

I've given up reporting scams on Facebook, all you get is an auto-note reply in about 30 seconds saying it does not go against their policies.

They don't even care when someone is scamming in Facebook's name.

Two times, I got a direct message warning me that Facebook was about to close my account. I had to log in on a special page and ask for it not to be closed. It was of course a fake website and the message was not from an official Facebook company user. I reported the message and explained that it was an attempt to get my login code to Facebook.

The first time, I never got a reply. The second time, I got a reply after a couple of weeks saying that the user/the message did not contain anything against Facebook's policies.

• Like 1

OP, you found this out only now?

I started a similar thread, with similar result. several months ago.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1307611-fb-market-place-scammers-and-what-fb-does-against-it/

Anyway, I have looked several times on marketplace for particular items I'm interested in, and never found something that wasn't available cheaper from a credible online source

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Kinnock said:

I belong to a motorcycle group on FB and 3 or 4 times a week there's some scammer posting parts for sale using photos from an old post. 

A reverse image search on Google Lens will find the original photos, and the Group Mods are good at banning the scammers, but then a new one will appear a few days later.

The problem with the item involved i wanted to report to group administrators but there wasn't a visible group to report, more rubbish from Facebook

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BenStark said:

OP, you found this out only now?

I started a similar thread, with similar result. several months ago.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1307611-fb-market-place-scammers-and-what-fb-does-against-it/

Anyway, I have looked several times on marketplace for particular items I'm interested in, and never found something that wasn't available cheaper from a credible online source

marketplace is mainly for used items, what alternative credible online source did you find?

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I've bought used Montblanc fountain pens from two different Thai vendors on Marketplace with no issues after up-front payments.

i have also bought items with no issues, but this scammer would have been more difficult to spot, was followed by 1k friends so not a stereotypical fake profile

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

so the guy dropped off the item and you checked it, not really the same as COD using a delivery.

Not really or really, who cares.

Do you understand English?

Its Cash on Delivery.

OMG, what's wrong here, it seems everyone wants a bloody argument. 

That guy earlier from Liverpool gave me a hard time.

Is this a bait posting? 🤔

Edited by Cricky
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

No we don’t… 😎

2nd page and some bickering has already been removed.

it seems most want an argument. 😮

Edited by Cricky

19 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

However too many businesses here in Krung Thep use FB instead of creating their own webpage so I'm forced to use it from time to time.

If a business can't be bothered to set up a professional website then they aren't professional enough for me to deal with them. It really doesn't cost much, and their don't care attitude should be a red flag. It's very common in Thailand for the locals to do that, and it's just a sign of laziness and unprofessionalism.

On 2/12/2024 at 6:11 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Not the norm here on marketplace, even for COD you can't inspect the item before paying

Sometimes Kerry have opened the box from the bottom for me, if it looks damaged.

On 2/12/2024 at 8:20 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Where is as good as Facebook marketplace for buying and selling used goods? no not bahtsold that is dead now

Then keep using it and wait for a bad experience. Or maybe get a hobby besides buying and selling crap. 

• Love It 1

On 2/12/2024 at 8:20 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Where is as good as Facebook marketplace for buying and selling used goods? no not bahtsold that is dead now

Simple I don't buy used or sell goods, unless it is a car and there are good reliable sights for that.

16 hours ago, Cricky said:

Not really or really, who cares.

Do you understand English?

Its Cash on Delivery.

OMG, what's wrong here, it seems everyone wants a bloody argument. 

That guy earlier from Liverpool gave me a hard time.

Is this a bait posting? 🤔

Ole Loopy Loo ain't even from Liverpool so he has stated in the past, he will jump on 'yer back quicker than a Tick.

1 hour ago, The Old Bull said:

And always remember if a deal looks too good to be true then the odds are that isn't true.

Deals are not good on marketplace. Everything I have seen is overpriced

I had been looking for at least 6 months for a replacement monitor for a spare PC, checking daily

What I could find in the 22" > 24" segment cost between 2 and 3000 baht for 5 year and older monitors with imperfections, and of course no guarantee, and a lot of scams, as i have posted in my thread a while ago.

I finally bought a brand-new 23" Dahua with 3 years warranty for 1800 baht on Shopee

Edited by BenStark

On 2/12/2024 at 5:38 AM, HighPriority said:

It’s got nothing to do with Thailand it’s the fb world.

I received a friend request from a fb friend 2 days after he died… I reported but they didn’t shut the profile down.

I also received one from my aunt, which they also haven’t taken down.

The fb reporting system is a quagmire of bureaucracy.

As to your friend, just don’t pay until the item is inspected… convenient ? No.
Is it more convenient than losing your money… yes.

Is there any difference between Facebook scammers and Lazada with their cheating sellers?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Is there any difference between Facebook scammers and Lazada with their cheating sellers?

My post was in reference to fb’s lack of action to protect their customers.

As to your post, toerags abound.