Online 90-day Rejected

Filed as usual prior to 90-day expiry, but application was rejected due to conflicting data pertaining to address. My first thought was that the attending immigration officer who completed my last 90-day notice (at the time yearly extension to stay was granted) had possibly entered my residential address incorrectly. That proved inconsequential.

I'm thinking the one-night stay in Khao Lak three weeks ago has triggered a change. (I used my pink Thai ID card as identification as I didn't have my passport handy.) Then, being under the erroneous impression that short stays away from home didn't require filing another TM30, I neglected to do so.

Today I registered my Thai wife on the TM30 portal and filed notice of a foreigner (me) staying. A "Search" shows the status as "Informed". Now I'm not sure what to expect at this point... Will I receive confirmation by email stating that the foreigner (myself) is approved by immigration authority as staying at the registered address?

Within 7 days of the 90-day notice expiring, I'll attempt another online application. If that fails, and I'm, again, asked to visit Phuket immigration office, I'll try the drive-thru. If redirected to Room 101, I'll have in hand the completed TM30 paperwork that coincides with todays online registration. If the question arises as to where I stayed between January 18 and February 13, I'll say I went camping.

Any insights, information, or cautionary advice is welcome. 

Edited by Thailaces

9 minutes ago, Thailaces said:

Then, being under the erroneous impression that short stays away from home didn't require filing another TM30, I neglected to do so.

Irrespective of how long you are away from home it's not your responsibility to submit a TM30. 

@WhatMeWorry  -- As I noted on another thread, a few years back, I was late by a few days with the 90-day address report at Immo/CW.

Yes, I paid the 2,000 baht fine -- BUT, Immo/CW put a half-page red stamp in my passport saying I was delinquent in making the 90-day report.

Only a new passport can remove the stamp -- but it still may be in the database.

If IMMO still puts a stamp in your passport for being late, that means they want to alert other IMMO office(r)s about this and, perhaps, increase the fine for repeat infractions.

The law allows them to charge up to 5,000 baht for a late 90-day address report.

My advice to you and others:  Don't risk it.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

It takes 5 minutes to do them on-line and the vast majority are successful. Why waste 2,000 THB and risk censure?

I even do a 90 day report for an old farangy friend on my PC because he is bedridden.........🤗

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

It takes 5 minutes to do them on-line and the vast majority are successful. Why waste 2,000 THB and risk censure?

Some people live a good distance from their IO, so up to the individual on how he wants to play it. There and back 4 times a year to the IO plus travel time may make it worth 2,000 Baht.

5 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I would try another online 90 day report now. Why do it "within 7 days of the 90-day notice expiring" ? The 7 day grace period is only for reporting in person.

Right, thanks for the reminder re: 7 day Grace period. I'll try again tomorrow. Hopefully, the TM30 online process indicating "Informed" means I'm now registered in the system with the correct address. Does anyone know the significance of this "Informed" designation? Is there another step to confirming actual registration of where I'm staying?

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:
2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Some people live a good distance from their IO, so up to the individual on how he wants to play it. There and back 4 times a year to the IO plus travel time may make it worth 2,000 Baht.

What on Earth does the distance matter when you do it on-line?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Thailaces said:

Right, thanks for the reminder re: 7 day Grace period. I'll try again tomorrow. Hopefully, the TM30 online process indicating "Informed" means I'm now registered in the system with the correct address. Does anyone know the significance of this "Informed" designation? Is there another step to confirming actual registration of where I'm staying?

Informed (with regards to the TM30) means you have successfully informed immigration of your address. That's it.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TaoNow said:

...The law allows them to charge up to 5,000 baht for a late 90-day address report...

No law allows immigration officials to issue a fine of "up to 5000 Baht" for the late sumission of the notification of the intention to stay in Thailand longer than 90 days.

• Thumbs Up 1

That screen message is erroneous. No "application" for staying longer than 90 days was made. The legally required notification of the intention to stay longer than 90 days was submitted and no apprroval of this notification is legally required.

Imm changed to a new 'wonderful' 90 day reporting system recently.

I usually do my 90 day report on-line, but the last one (under the new system) was rejected.

I rang our local Kalasin Imm. mob and they couldn't find it and said to submit again, which I did and it was approved.

Give them a ring.

9 hours ago, Maestro said:

No law allows immigration officials to issue a fine of "up to 5000 Baht" for the late sumission of the notification of the intention to stay in Thailand longer than 90 days.

"If a foreigner staying in the kingdom over 90 days without notifying the Immigration Bureau or notifying the Immigration Bureau later than the set period, a fine of 2,000.- Baht will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he will be fined 5,000.- Baht."

https://www.immigration.go.th/?page_id=1666#:~:text=– If a foreigner staying in,be fined 5%2C000.- Baht.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

"If a foreigner staying in the kingdom over 90 days without notifying the Immigration Bureau or notifying the Immigration Bureau later than the set period, a fine of 2,000.- Baht will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he will be fined 5,000.- Baht."

https://www.immigration.go.th/?page_id=1666#:~:text=– If a foreigner staying in,be fined 5%2C000.- Baht.

The sentece "If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he will be fined 5,000.- Baht." is wrong. It is not based on any law or any regulation based on any law.

Immigration officials can arrest a foreigner, but the implication that immigration can then fine him 5000 Baht is wrong.

• Confused 2

10 hours ago, Thailaces said:

Direct snippet of screen capture...

Screenshot_20240213_205237_Proton Mail.jpg

4 hours ago, Maestro said:

That screen message is erroneous. No "application" for staying longer than 90 days was made. The legally required notification of the intention to stay longer than 90 days was submitted and no apprroval of this notification is legally required.

Do I understand correctly that even though an application is rejected, the applicant, having complied with the requirements, cannot be penalized as he has not committed any transgression of the law?

2 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

It's now a toss up 4,000 or 5,000 Baht.

• If a foreigner staying in the Kingdom over 90 days without notifying the immigration bureau or notifying the immigration bureau later than the set period, a fine of 2,000 Baht will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he will be fined 4,000.- Baht.

https://thaiconsulatela.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/foreigners-staying-in-thailand-more-than-90-days

A friend who went on a two week holiday last month around the North of Thailand found when he went to do his 90 day reportig was told they now had him registered at the hotel he stayed in for one night near Chaing Mai. and not at the home address in the south he has been living at for 10 plus years. File updated all is okay

It's now a toss up 4,000 or 5,000 Baht.

• If a foreigner staying in the Kingdom over 90 days without notifying the immigration bureau or notifying the immigration bureau later than the set period, a fine of 2,000 Baht will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he will be fined 4,000.- Baht.

https://thaiconsulatela.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/foreigners-staying-in-thailand-more-than-90-days

From your link "If fail to notify and be arrested the fine must be at least 4,000 Baht. And with an additional fine not exceeding 200 Baht for each day which passes until the law is complied with."

2 hours ago, Maestro said:

The sentece "If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he will be fined 5,000.- Baht." is wrong. It is not based on any law or any regulation based on any law.

Immigration officials can arrest a foreigner, but the implication that immigration can then fine him 5000 Baht is wrong.

Sorry, but what on earth are you on about? It is clearly stated on the immigration website. Do you think the webmaster at immigration just makes things up and publishes them ?

Immigration Act B.E. 2522 , Section 76 clearly outlines the fine for failure to do 90 day reporting (Section 37)

https://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/thai-immigration-act-temporary-stay-in-the-kingdom-sections-34-39/

https://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/thai-immigration-act-penalty-sections-61-84/

I would say that the Immigration Act is a law or regulation ?

If a foreigner staying in the Kingdom over 90 days without notifying the immigration bureau or notifying the immigration bureau later than the set period, a fine of 2,000 Baht will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he will be fined 4,000.- Baht.

If one cares to look on the online application it distinctly says 4,000 Baht. Not 5,000.

Important Note :

• The notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days is in no way equivalent to a visa extension.
  • If a foreigner staying in the Kingdom over 90 days without notifying the Immigration Bureau or notifying the Immigration Bureau later than the set period, a fine of 2,000.- Baht will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he will be fined 4,000.- Baht.
  • If a foreigner leaves the country and re-enters, the day count starts at 1 in every case.
  • Important note: Please checks the applicant’s information carefully and confirms the correctness. Incorrect information provided may render your appointment invalid

I acknowledge that I have read and agree to the above Terms and Conditions

11 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

If one cares to look on the online application it distinctly says 4,000 Baht. Not 5,000.

Important Note :

• The notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days is in no way equivalent to a visa extension.
  • If a foreigner staying in the Kingdom over 90 days without notifying the Immigration Bureau or notifying the Immigration Bureau later than the set period, a fine of 2,000.- Baht will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he will be fined 4,000.- Baht.
  • If a foreigner leaves the country and re-enters, the day count starts at 1 in every case.
  • Important note: Please checks the applicant’s information carefully and confirms the correctness. Incorrect information provided may render your appointment invalid

I acknowledge that I have read and agree to the above Terms and Conditions

Read the bottom line on a TM47 form:

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/Form-TM-47.pdf

image.png.9c606946509b27255e10634c04fce063.png

Edited by lopburi3