111 couples tie the knot on Rama IX Bridge, Bangkok

snoop1130

Screenshot-2024-02-15-130249.jpg

In a display of affection, 111 couples defied air pollution to tie the knot on the sleek new bridge adjacent to Bangkok’s iconic Rama IX Bridge.

Amidst the backdrop of the bustling cityscape, Governor Surachet Laophulsuk of the Expressway Authority of Thailand (EXAT) kickstarted the Luck Lock Love festival, inviting citizens to partake in pre-opening festivities on the bridge.

The focal point of the event? The marriage registration of 111 couples, a number symbolising the 111th anniversary of the Transport Ministry. Adding sparkle to the occasion, lucky pairs had the chance to snag diamond jewellery worth over 200,000 baht from Jubilee Diamond. But it wasn’t just bling that elevated the ceremony. Buddha’s relics adorning the bridge’s towers lent an air of sacredness, believed to bless couples with lifelong prosperity.

Surachet conveyed that registering marriages on this avant-garde bridge symbolised the journey of unity and resilience towards a radiant future. As couples exchanged vows amidst the gentle flow of the Chao Phraya River below, the symbolism was profound. The water embodied serenity and life’s nurturing essence, while the expressway represented unwavering resolve against life’s adversities, reported The Nation.

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Caption: Photo courtesy of The Nation

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-02-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

50 couples at Saphan Khao (White Bridge Park) near Doi Khuntan in Lamphun. 

Screenshotfrom2024-02-1518-52-52.png.f0cfdd082d4844a5c97418ded4937e38.png

So basically, the bigger the city, the fewer marriages.  They are gonna have to change the Immigration laws as the Thai Boomers die off and the younger generations stop having kids.  😉 

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Surachet conveyed that registering marriages on this avant-garde bridge symbolised the journey of unity and resilience towards a radiant future. As couples exchanged vows amidst the gentle flow of the Chao Phraya River below, the symbolism was profound. The water embodied serenity and life’s nurturing essence, while the expressway represented unwavering resolve against life’s adversities,

AI ?

I found out recently that Thais don't say "Rama". The word is actually พระราม which Google Translate pronounces as "Phraram". I guess the Hoi polloi would say "Palam".

I also found out that Sukhumvit is pronounced with a W sound and not a V sound.

I was quite flabbergasted to find this out. What other tricks with the transcription of Thai names are they playing on us?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

I found out recently that Thais don't say "Rama". The word is actually พระราม which Google Translate pronounces as "Phraram". I guess the Hoi polloi would say "Palam".

Yes!  Only yesterday, we were on a trip to Bangkok, and on Rama road, my GF insisted it was "Phalam" road and we argued for a bit over the name.

Feeling embarrassed now....