Julian Assange: Australian parliament calls for release ahead of extradition appeal

Social Media

image.png

Australia's parliament has taken a significant step in advocating for the release of Julian Assange, the founder of Wikileaks, ahead of a crucial extradition appeal. The motion, supported by Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and a majority of MPs, calls for Assange's return to Australia, signaling a united front in the effort to address his legal plight.

Assange, who has been held in Belmarsh prison since his arrest in 2019 after leaving the Ecuadorian embassy in London, faces extradition to the United States over allegations related to the publication of classified documents. The case has garnered international attention, with supporters expressing concerns about the implications for press freedom and Assange's personal safety.

The upcoming appeal hearing at the High Court in London will determine whether Assange can continue to challenge his extradition or if he will be sent to the US to face trial. The charges against him stem from the release of confidential information regarding the Afghanistan and Iraq wars, which Assange denies.

Australia's involvement in advocating for Assange's return underscores the significance of the case for the country. Prime Minister Albanese emphasized the importance of a resolution that respects legal processes while also addressing humanitarian considerations.

The motion passed by the Australian parliament reflects a growing sentiment that Assange's situation warrants intervention to ensure a fair and just outcome. Efforts to engage with US authorities, including discussions between Australia's attorney-general and his US counterpart, demonstrate a commitment to seeking a resolution to the matter.

As the appeal hearing approaches, the international community will be closely watching the proceedings, with hopes for a decision that upholds the principles of justice and human rights. The outcome will not only impact Assange's future but also have broader implications for press freedom and the protection of whistleblowers worldwide.

Source

image.png

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

In the meantime Australia could show a bit of diplomatic generosity and pay the cost of their citizen to the British Taxpayers.

No need. We're happy to do them a solid. They don't try to interfere in our internal politics like Irish Joe. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Assange must have a very incriminating deadman switch to have survived as long as he has.  It'll be interesting if and when it finally comes out.  But I suspect it'll be like the JFK truth that will take 60-70 years to leak out.

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Australia bang on the money once again. The US is clearly desperate to keep secrets about their illegal warmongering but that shouldn't trump human rights. 

As for extradition to the US for trial, hopefully the British refuse the US government's request - certainly at least until Biden is gone in November. After that, we can consider co-operating with them again on such matters, although in this particular case Assange should be sent to Australia, not the US. Hopefully us British stick with our Antipodean cousins and don't placate the meddling, "Oirsh" Joe Biden and his merry band of authoritarian Dems in their justice legal system.

Good luck Australia. Good luck Julian. The British are with you.  💪

Well, your last sentence is incorrect. This Brit - and many others - certainly aren't with Assange.

Nothing in your post mentions the legal position. Your sole reason for opposing the US request for co-operation in this, or any other, matter is political.

• Sad 1

Assange isn't some persecuted, doe-eyed innocent he's an individual who broke his bail conditions in the UK in order to avoid facing charges of rape and sexual assault in Sweden.

Edited by RayC
Spelling

Just now, RayC said:

Well, your last sentence is incorrect. This Brit - and many others - certainly aren't with Assange.

Nothing in your post mentions the legal position. Your sole reason for opposing the US request for co-operation in this, or any other, matter is political.

I meant the majority of decent, level headed Brits.

Not internet trolls and race baiters.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

As usual, your "argument" is unable to withstand even the slightest challenge so you resort to insults.

Fortunately the overwhelming majority of decent, level headed Brits are not right-wing racists, despite your attempts to redefine and portray us as such.

Edited by RayC
Rewrite
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, RayC said:

As usual, your "argument" is unable to withstand even the slightest challenge so you resort to insults.

Fortunately the overwhelming majority of decent, level headed Brits are not right-wing racists, despite your attempts to redefine and portray us as such.

You literally just proved my point :laugh::laugh:

Jog on Ray, go troll someone else :coffee1:

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RayC said:

seems like ya holler racist at everyone you disagree with

makes ya look kinda dumb man

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You literally just proved my point :laugh::laugh:

No idea how you can logically come to that conclusion but then that's nothing new.

11 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Jog on Ray, go troll someone else :coffee1:

I'm not trolling you, Jonny, I just won't let your views go unchallenged.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, EastBayRay said:

seems like ya holler racist at everyone you disagree with

Not in the slightest. If you look at my exchanges with others I disagree with, accusations of 'race baiting' and 'racism' have never been mentioned.

7 minutes ago, EastBayRay said:

makes ya look kinda dumb man

I'd say that anyone who comes to a conclusion based on a false premise and  extremely limited information looks a bit stupid.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, impulse said:

Assange must have a very incriminating deadman switch to have survived as long as he has.  It'll be interesting if and when it finally comes out.  But I suspect it'll be like the JFK truth that will take 60-70 years to leak out.

Ever the crackpot conspiracy 

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

‘Race’ gets its first mention in the thread and in your unprompted use of the term ‘Race Baiting’.

A pattern is emerging.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RayC said:

No idea how you can logically come to that conclusion but then that's nothing new.

I'm not trolling you, Jonny, I just won't let your views go unchallenged.

I'm having far more interesting debates on other threads Ray.

If you can drop the race baiting and trolling for 5 minutes you could come and join us. Try it, you might actually enjoy a break from all that negativity. 

25 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

‘Race’ gets its first mention in the thread and in your unprompted use of the term ‘Race Baiting’.

A pattern is emerging.

More trolling from you Chomps. It's a lovely day, I'll rise above it.

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I'm having far more interesting debates on other threads Ray.

If you can drop the race baiting and trolling for 5 minutes you could come and join us. Try it, you might actually enjoy a break from all that negativity. 

I'm willing to engage in constructive debate with you at any point, Jonny. However, for that to happen you'll need to stop playing the 'race bait' card whenever you are challenged to justify your position. 

• Agree 2

55 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

What has race got to do with this rapist and spy's totally abhorrent behaviours?

Absolutely nothing.

(I think that you directed your question to the wrong person. Someone else decided to introduce race into the discussion)

• Agree 1