Escaping the heat in April

April, the hottest month of the year is coming up. I'm in the north and looking for best options to escape it. Chiang Mai is hot, Pai is hot. Doi Inthanon looks an option due to altitude. What other options are cooler nearby? Not really planning on going to beach.

Edited by uttradit
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, uttradit said:

April, the hottest month of the year is coming up. I'm in the north and looking for best options to escape it. Chiang Mai is hot, Pai is hot. Doi Inthanon looks an option due to altitude. What other options are cooler nearby? Not really planning on going to beach.

You don't have an air conditioner?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

(I have been to Dalat a dozen times during my seven years of working in Vietnam, but I have never been there during April, so I'm not sure how it will be.)

What's the air quality like? We nixed India for April for that reason. 

Last year, we did The Cameron Highlands. Pretty and mellow, but very dull, Just a strip of samey S.Indian chapati joints. But very cool for most of the day.

(I'll be in Borneo and Sulawesi this year).

Edited by Prubangboy
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

What's the air quality like? We nixed India for April for that reason. 

Last year, we did The Cameron Highlands. Pretty and mellow, but very dull, Just a strip of samey S.Indian chapati joints. But very cool for most of the day.

(I'll be in Borneo and Sulawesi this year).

As I'm sure you know, India is a big country with varying conditions throughout. The air quality in the mountains was always fine when I was there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, BangkokHank said:

Can you explain why? You might just save me an unnecessary trip someday.

My apologies - it's a Brit thing. The Brits reading will get it. Might not find it particularly funny though although one person apparently has.

39 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

Can you explain why? You might just save me an unnecessary trip someday.

Darjeeling is an area of India famous for its tea. Assam is another (of many). So the tea from those regions is called Darjeeling tea or Assam tea.

When ordering a cup of tea, one may be asked to select from a variety of teas. 

One could say "Darjeeling is not my preference", i.e. not my preferred cup of tea.

The expression (in British parlance) is applied to many situations where there is a choice. For example: I prefer olive skinned girls, white girls are not my cup of tea.

Edited by chickenslegs
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BangkokHank said:

As I'm sure you know, India is a big country with varying conditions throughout. The air quality in the mountains was always fine when I was there.

Try Manali in Himachal Pradesh. Absolutely spectacular.

Manali is already at altitude and has lovely fresh air, carrying the glorious scent of the deodar cedar trees that pepper the landscape. Though it might be a tourist spot, I've never seen another tourist there. That part of India is predominantly Buddhist, not Hindu. Lots of bell-wearing yaks around town. There are small guest houses and one nice hotel, rooms with a fireplace and a large balcony, where the snow-capped Himalayas are in full view.

From Manali it's a gut-wrenching drive up to Rohtang Pass, but well worth it (provided you survive). The road is gravel, winding up another 8-10,000 feet to Rohtang. Boulders sometimes roll down the moutain and cross the road, so one must keep his eyes open. Traffic obviously goes in both directions, but generally there's only space for one vehicle, and there are no guardrails. The traditional wood-framed trucks common to India roads come at you full speed, with Shiva as their co-pilot, so to speak, so caution is not their byword. There are a few spots along the drive where the drop is around 5000 feet, straight as a beggar can spit. Plenty of cars and buses do not make it, and their wrecks are still sitting untouched near the bottom of the drive. So common are bus mishaps that take dozens of lives on India's Himalayan roads, that the reporting makes maybe Page 29 of The Times of India newspaper. It's a 'dog bites man' sort of tale.

Keep going after Rohtang and you hit the Ladakh area. The entire area gives one the feel of the Sean Connery/Michael Caine film "The Man Who Would Be King", based on the Kipling tale. In honor of that film, the first time I went I grew the beard as worn by Connery in the movie (the under-chin area clean shaven).

There was a TV show in the US called Ice Road Truckers or something like that, and one of the drives they did was up over Rohtang Pass.

Edited by Walker88
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Try Manali in Himachal Pradesh. Absolutely spectacular.

Ah, yes, I am aware of Manali, but I've never been there as it's a bit difficult to get there. Maybe someday though.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder.

2 hours ago, BangkokHank said:

Ah, yes, I am aware of Manali, but I've never been there as it's a bit difficult to get there. Maybe someday though.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder.

It is a bit of a trek. I usually do Delhi-Chandigarh, stay a night, then do Chandigarh-Manali. Roads are.....bad, on the second leg.

• Thanks 1

Kunming and Xian China. I visited both in 2023 to escape the heat/smog in BKK.

Both had much cooler weather and far cleaner air. 

Both cities are served by AirAsia and return tickets were about 6000 Baht from DMK. 

15 hours ago, Keeps said:

My apologies - it's a Brit thing. The Brits reading will get it. Might not find it particularly funny though although one person apparently has.

I get it now. Ha. It's what we would call an "inside joke".

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

My office and bedroom have a/c - and my car has terrific a/c... 

who could ask for anything more? 

What about your carbon footprint...think of the planet and Greta 😋

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, uttradit said:

It is the hottest month of the year everywhere in Thailand. What will you do on Doi Inthanon for a month or more?

I live in Northern Thailand and in February so far, nearly every day already 34C (air temperature) - and it is going to get even hotter and may last until October - yes, including the rainy season.

Keep going North until you reach somewhere you like - you might need to go 10 degrees of latitude from where you are - that means another country.

Edited by ChrisKC
typo 2

2 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

It is the hottest month of the year everywhere in Thailand. What will you do on Doi Inthanon for a month or more?

I live in Northern Thailand and in February so far, nearly every day already 34C (air temperature) - and it is going to get even hotter and may last until October - yes, including the rainy season.

April is always the hottest month. 37 to 40.

Cities are in valleys so resorts in the hills be cooler.

15 minutes ago, uttradit said:

April is always the hottest month. 37 to 40.

Cities are in valleys so resorts in the hills be cooler.

For the last two years the temperature here in April and May has been up to 45C

So you have answered your own question - anywhere there are hills will be cooler and if you are in Northern Thailand you won't need to go far!

Not all cities even capital ones are in valleys, Chiang Mai for example, right here in Thailand, is 1,000 feet above sea level.

• Thumbs Up 1