Simple question

Confuscious

On 2/19/2024 at 1:53 PM, gomangosteen said:

As a cyclist I find these various small electric vehicles one more hazard to cope with, not fast enough for the car lane, too slow for the left motorcycle/ cycle lane.

I've seen this yellow/black one on the highway out of our town, competing with trucks, racing D-Max pick-ups etc. there's also a larger four-seater one, minus doors, appears to have a top speed of 20kmh.

spacer.png

Is it wrong that my first thoughts were that I want one of those?  

Alternative to the bike for 7-11 trips during the monsoon season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/24/2024 at 3:29 PM, billd766 said:

Could you please tell me what model you have and how much it cost. Would it be possible to fit some 12V led lights to it to make it easier to see, even in daylight.   

I live 6 km from the big village in rural Thailand and I use my pick up truck to get to the shops and back. and back.

I am 79 with bad knees and a bad back.

It’s a Lion X6-3, cost 19,900฿.

It already comes with factory fitted LED lights and they can be switched on anytime. The headlight, however, will also be on.

I too have back trouble and am very grateful for this set of wheels.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stanton681 said:

It’s a Lion X6-3, cost 19,900฿.

It already comes with factory fitted LED lights and they can be switched on anytime. The headlight, however, will also be on.

I too have back trouble and am very grateful for this set of wheels.

3 hours ago, Stanton681 said:

Thank you for the information. The led lights I was thinking about are the flashing ones you around on cars etc but they are 12v, and the trike has a 48v battery. Not a big or insolvable problem. The Lion website is terrible to read.

Where did you buy it?

There are some other models for sale , at higher prices, naturally, including 4 wheel models and come with a roof to keep most of the rain off, (if it ever does rain this year).

https://www.lion-ev.com/tricycle

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

Thank you for the information. The led lights I was thinking about are the flashing ones you around on cars etc but they are 12v, and the trike has a 48v battery. Not a big or insolvable problem. The Lion website is terrible to read.

Where did you buy it?

There are some other models for sale , at higher prices, naturally, including 4 wheel models and come with a roof to keep most of the rain off, (if it ever does rain this year).

Looks familiar to me.

20231104 150743.jpg

20231104 150748.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, billd766 said:

Where did you buy it?

Can’t advise on installation of the flashing lights, sorry.

I bought it at an independent store on the ground floor of Big C in Nittayo Road, Udon Thani. I had looked elsewhere but this particular shop stocked a very good selection of trikes. 

There were 3 versions of the X6-3: 500w, 600w plus the version I bought, 700w. It has 3 forward gears and reverse, disc brakes, full set of lights, and indicators, built in alarm and masses of storage space.

The 600w version @ 16,900฿ was attractive but on the day I went to buy,  the more potent-looking 700w had appeared. I was able to test both models and the 700w had a more comfortable seat (the 600w sloped back), which was wider and upright. Important for me.

In 1st gear it reaches 28kph (17.4mph), in 2nd 38kph (23.6mph), and in 3rd 48kph (29.8mph).

It’s a great vehicle, I looked around for a year before finding this one.

I too am in my seventies (mid).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stanton681 said:

Can’t advise on installation of the flashing lights, sorry.

I bought it at an independent store on the ground floor of Big C in Nittayo Road, Udon Thani. I had looked elsewhere but this particular shop stocked a very good selection of trikes. 

There were 3 versions of the X6-3: 500w, 600w plus the version I bought, 700w. It has 3 forward gears and reverse, disc brakes, full set of lights, and indicators, built in alarm and masses of storage space.

The 600w version @ 16,900฿ was attractive but on the day I went to buy,  the more potent-looking 700w had appeared. I was able to test both models and the 700w had a more comfortable seat (the 600w sloped back), which was wider and upright. Important for me.

In 1st gear it reaches 28kph (17.4mph), in 2nd 38kph (23.6mph), and in 3rd 48kph (29.8mph).

It’s a great vehicle, I looked around for a year before finding this one.

I too am in my seventies (mid).

Thank you for the update. I am just in the early days of looking at the moment. Sadly I will need a very long extension cord to keep it charged up to get it home as I live in rural Kamphaeng Phet about 800 km away.

Locally there is only 1 short uphill bit close to the house, and the rest of the road to the big village is fairly flat.

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2024 at 6:46 AM, Confuscious said:

...My question: is a Driving License required for these vehicles and why/why not?
Why is a driving license required  for vehicle "A" and not for vehicle "B"?

You posted images of three different vehicles but didn't label any of them with "A" or "B"

Therefore my question is: which of the three vehicles is "A" and which one is "B"?

1 hour ago, Puccini said:

You posted images of three different vehicles but didn't label any of them with "A" or "B"

Therefore my question is: which of the three vehicles is "A" and which one is "B"?

There is no image "A" or "B".

Most of the posters have figured that out without further questions.

The question was why a driver license is not required for a particular image (wheelchair assisted by electric traction) but is required for another image (electric 3-wheeler).

When assigning random images to a question they can be named by "A, B, C, etc"

• Haha 1

On 2/19/2024 at 2:05 PM, Dan O said:

Still puzzled as to why she had the right of way but doesn't matter at this point. 

The police were just winging it and got that one wrong - she didn't have right of way when attempting to 'undertake' you on the left hand side.

The requirement for a license for these 'mobility-vehicles' is a grey area in Thailand...

A lot of the discussion is covered in this thread - the first hand information provided (by Colinneil) is that the head of the DLT in his area advised him that as a '3 wheeled electric mobility-trike' is a disability aid, no registration or license is required. 

Other information suggests that if the power is greater than 500w the vehicle requires a license. 

Of course - with all the samlors, food-cards, push-carts etc on the roads these 'mobility-vehicles' clearly fit into that same 'grey area category' until there is an incident - but it seems a license and registration is not a requirement.

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The requirement for a license for these 'mobility-vehicles' is a grey area in Thailand...

A lot of the discussion is covered in this thread - the first hand information provided (by Colinneil) is that the head of the DLT in his area advised him that as a '3 wheeled electric mobility-trike' 

I thought Colin Neil passed away???

20 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Why don't you state the subject matter in the title?

I agree, I'm surprised the mods allow click bait of this kind. Of course it probably isn't intended as click bait but ignorance, nevertheless click bait it is.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm not sure - but the linked thread is from 2017.

I remember him quitting this forum and moved to another....    

If he has passed away - RIP

Moved to another country you mean?

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The police were just winging it and got that one wrong - she didn't have right of way when attempting to 'undertake' you on the left hand side.

Yes I know that and told the policeman the same thing. She was claiming she was beside me not behind me and never tried to pass me..  if that were the truth then yes she would have had the right of way. He was trying to make the Thai girl whole as possible and not file any charges against anyone (read me) since my insurance agreed to pay the claim if there were no charges and the family stayed  reasonible and didn't try to milk me. He kept his word and held them in place. He was also directly honest that if he had to press charges I would lose in court as a foreigner with no proof and the thais that showed up claimed they saw it and I was at fault even though they were not there and never saw anything.