Simple question

Confuscious

I was last week a few days in Pattaya and watched these "vehicles"  driving on public roads (the side walks were all occupied by parked motorcycles or selling stands) and many of them were developping a decent speed.
My question: is a Driving License required for these vehicles and why/why not?
Why is a driving license required  for vehicle "A" and not for vehicle "B"?

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

w3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

These contraptions shouldn't be on the roads, however we all know cops here turn a blind eye, if it means they have to work for no extra money, only time they will get involved is when someone has an accident, then blame who they think fits the bill and will take their cut out of it.

• Sad 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

One has to wonder how many on AN have actually been involved in a collision and had dealings with the RTP. 

I have a mate who found them to be polite, efficient, and professional. His words, not mine. 

It does occur to me though that it might depend on the location. 

I was involved in a bad traffic accident a long time ago and I agree with your mate.

I have also been involved in a few other cases (murder, theft and others) and again, the same observation.

Various locations - Bangkok, Hua Hin, Samui etc.

I also include the judges in that description.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

found them to be polite, efficient, and professional

Ditto re house burglary. But they became extra cheerful when my b/f happened to mention in passing that he had just paid a tidy little sum in to the police Knees Up fund.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I have a mate who found them to be polite, efficient, and professional. His words, not mine. 

It does occur to me though that it might depend on the location. 

I had an accident with a motorcyclist. The guy only had one leg. (Keeping the story short.) They thought me to be at fault until my insurance agent showed them my dash cam footage. They then decided that the one legged man was at fault but because he was poor they didn't fine him the 1,400 Baht that they were going to.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

5 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Here in Khon Kaen I see them everywhere. Seems like every little old lady has one. 

If you got one , I don't think anyone would bother you 

IMO they are only for around town, they seem pretty slow and keep to the side. 

I dee them for sale everywhere, including the mall. 

• Thumbs Up 2

23 hours ago, Moonlover said:

There is some information in this article in the Pattaya Mail. 

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-seniors-turning-to-electric-trikes-331830

Yeah this article spells it out pretty good.  

Does anyone have one? I am wondering what the electric bill is like and how long the average battery charge is?  

As a cyclist I find these various small electric vehicles one more hazard to cope with, not fast enough for the car lane, too slow for the left motorcycle/ cycle lane.

I've seen this yellow/black one on the highway out of our town, competing with trucks, racing D-Max pick-ups etc. there's also a larger four-seater one, minus doors, appears to have a top speed of 20kmh.

spacer.png

20 hours ago, sirineou said:

Here in Khon Kaen I see them everywhere. Seems like every little old lady has one. 

If you got one , I don't think anyone would bother you 

IMO they are only for around town, they seem pretty slow and keep to the side. 

I dee them for sale everywhere, including the mall. 

There are plenty of them around our village now, many of them being driven by kids of primary school age. I have pointed out to the Phu Ya Ban (AKA my wife's nephew) regarding the hazards of the kids riding out on the main road leading to the local school. But as always, it's the usual Thai response, 'it's up to them'. 

Most of the cheap ones for sale everywhere have lead-acid batteries which probably have a life span of less than 2 years, on average. Typical top speed would be up to 25 km/hr witha range of 10 km (when new).

Expect to pay at least 20,000 Baht for one with a decent Li-Po battery and life span.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

20 hours ago, Dan O said:

I had one about a month ago and just finished settling it. I was driving in the left  lane and girl on a scooter was behind me on the right side of the same lane. I put on my blinker to turn left into a soi and she was still behind me. Just as I started to turn left she decided to pass me on the left side and ran into the side and slide down the length of the truck and landed in the street. All the locals came over and immediately blamed me because "she was beside" me when collided, duh. The police arrived and questioned me and the girl and a couple bystanders. I went to the police station while the girl a went to the hospital. The brother showed up and demanded to know why they didn't drug or alcohol test me. The police man just looked at him and asked if he was on the scene which he wasn't. The policeman told the brother to mind his own business and to leave. No charges for me but my insurance agent suggested I agree that I didn't see her passing me before we collided so he could cover the bills. Police said the girl had the right of way since she was going straight (???) and I should have stopped to let her pass, but then added but she was stupid and shouldn't have tried to pass me on the shoulder. He told the insurance if they covered the damages then he would sit on the family to keep them in line and no compensation from me and no charges. He kept his word at the sign off meeting when the family asked for money and told them how poor her action was and she should be glad she wasn't dead. So all in all he was more than decent and not the typical type story you always hear on AN. Still puzzled as to why she had the right of way but doesn't matter at this point. 

On my 1st accident in Thailand, I hit a pedesstrian (on a Sunday) who was crossing a 6 + 4 lane and stoned drunk.
I had no camera at that time and the cameras on the street was out of service.
The pedestrian flew about 20 meters away and broke his leg.
As this was happening at a crossing with a police booth, police was very quick to handle the case.
After the police took notices, I was told to go home and to present myself at the police station the next day.

The next day, I went to the police station and the whole family + extended family of the pedestrian was there.
The sister, who used to work in Pattaya and spoke some English, asked 300,000 Baht for damages to her brother.
The police officer who was handling the case advised me to get a lawyer and let handle the case.
Which I did.
The lawyer send one of his "female" servants to visit the pedestrian in the hospital and recorded the meeting.
He told her that "he was stone drunk and didn't see me".
"He was also too drunk to do the stairs of the pedestrian bridge."
2 days later the case was handled at the police station and my insurance agreed to pay 25,000 baht if they dropped the charges.
Everybody accepted and the case was closed.
The lawyer charged me 15,000 baht for his services.
That was the lesson when dealing with the Thai authorities.
Get a lawyer and let him handle the case.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, jesimps said:

I guess they have to use the road because they have beggar all chance of going more than a few yards here on the "pavement".

Yes, there is no much choice in Thailand.
But are they allowed to drag a girl on their lap in a wheelchair and driving like Niki Lauda?
I saw several of these "Tri-Cycles" with 2 people on it.
And this apparently is not limited to Pattaya.

18 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

Most of the cheap ones for sale everywhere have lead-acid batteries which probably have a life span of less than 2 years, on average. Typical top speed would be up to 25 km/hr witha range of 10 km (when new).

Expect to pay at least 20,000 Baht for one with a decent Li-Po battery and life span.

Wheelchair Tractor 36V 500W 12inch Attachment speed from www.risunmotor.com
36V 350W/500W 12inch Electric Handcycle Wheelchair Tractor Conversion Kits with Battery ... Forward speed: 15-20km/h. Backward: 6km/h. Brake: Dual Disc-brake;Hand ...
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Dan O said:

I had one about a month ago and just finished settling it. I was driving in the left  lane and girl on a scooter was behind me on the right side of the same lane. I put on my blinker to turn left into a soi and she was still behind me. Just as I started to turn left she decided to pass me on the left side and ran into the side and slide down the length of the truck and landed in the street. All the locals came over and immediately blamed me because "she was beside" me when collided, duh. The police arrived and questioned me and the girl and a couple bystanders. I went to the police station while the girl a went to the hospital. The brother showed up and demanded to know why they didn't drug or alcohol test me. The police man just looked at him and asked if he was on the scene which he wasn't. The policeman told the brother to mind his own business and to leave. No charges for me but my insurance agent suggested I agree that I didn't see her passing me before we collided so he could cover the bills. Police said the girl had the right of way since she was going straight (???) and I should have stopped to let her pass, but then added but she was stupid and shouldn't have tried to pass me on the shoulder. He told the insurance if they covered the damages then he would sit on the family to keep them in line and no compensation from me and no charges. He kept his word at the sign off meeting when the family asked for money and told them how poor her action was and she should be glad she wasn't dead. So all in all he was more than decent and not the typical type story you always hear on AN. Still puzzled as to why she had the right of way but doesn't matter at this point. 

Very interesting, my little understanding of Thai law/road rules are who ever is in front is pretty much in the right, so in your case that would apply, they way yours was handled pretty much tell you its a free for all and you better hope the policeman is having a good day...

1 hour ago, Njoku said:

Very interesting, my little understanding of Thai law/road rules are who ever is in front is pretty much in the right, so in your case that would apply, they way yours was handled pretty much tell you its a free for all and you better hope the policeman is having a good day...

I think it actually boiled down to the policeman trying to cut it down the middle and make everyone whole. Also avoid more paperwork and a numerous court appearances. My insurance guy left it up to me to accept saying I didn't see her when we collided. I got no ticket or charge and the paperwork doesn't even say i was at fault. That enabled him to pay out for the injuries and damages vs getting into a pissing match and ending up in court and paying out bigger in the end. The cop handled the family as promised. I cant find anything about the right of way issue but they definitely allow scooters a wide range of infractions without batting an eye, both in providing they can drive on the shoulder or in the lanes which makes for a dangerous situation. I have to say it was handled well even though I think anyone would say it was her fault and she should never have tried to pass on that side when she had a clear lane ahead and the inside passing lane was open as well. Seems to be typical as a lot of thai's lack the ability of thinking ahead for what happens next in many situations

On 2/19/2024 at 1:37 PM, kingstonkid said:

Yeah this article spells it out pretty good.  

Does anyone have one? I am wondering what the electric bill is like and how long the average battery charge is?  

Mine, an electric 3-wheel, is economical to run. Charging via a separate charger takes from 6 to 13 hours depending on how low the lead-acid battery is. Electric bill is minimal.

It’s top speed is 48kph and range on a full charge is 45 kilometers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stanton681 said:

Mine, an electric 3-wheel, is economical to run. Charging via a separate charger takes from 6 to 13 hours depending on how low the lead-acid battery is. Electric bill is minimal.

It’s top speed is 48kph and range on a full charge is 45 kilometers.

Could you please tell me what model you have and how much it cost. Would it be possible to fit some 12V led lights to it to make it easier to see, even in daylight.   

I live 6 km from the big village in rural Thailand and I use my pick up truck to get to the shops and back. and back.

I am 79 with bad knees and a bad back.

On 2/18/2024 at 12:46 PM, Confuscious said:

I was last week a few days in Pattaya and watched these "vehicles"  driving on public roads (the side walks were all occupied by parked motorcycles or selling stands) and many of them were developping a decent speed.
Why is a driving license required  for vehicle "A" and not for vehicle "B"?

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

w3.jpg

I like the red third one best. I don't use a wheel chair (yet) and #2 doesn't look particularly safe to me.