Tofago tabl. for migraine?

george

Anyone has experience of medicine for migraine?

Im traveling right now and don’t have access to my doc, so bought Tofago 1mg  tablets at local pharmacy. Will se a doc asap, but in the meantime asking if anyone has used them and your experience?

When Googling it it’s sounds like a pretty scary medication..

Really supposed to take them several times a day?

IMG_3219.jpeg

Can't help with that one but I've relied on Cafergot for my chronic migraines.  Usually only ever have to take one tablet to be effective, very occasionally a second is needed, but never more than that.  You have my sympathy for something that only migraine sufferers can understand.

• Like 2

Supposed to take only when there is migraine. 2 tablets at a time. Repeat only if no relief and do not exceed  3 doses (6 tabs) in a day or 10 tabs in a week.

Side effects can be significant and this is no longer recommended as a first line treatment. Contra-indictaed in  high blood pressure and heart disease.

read these carefully:

https://www.mims.com/thailand/drug/info/ergotamine + caffeine?mtype=generic

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/ergotamine-oral-route/proper-use/drg-20526910

Preferred treatment would be Sumatatriptan (brand names Siagran and Sumigran).

Has a doctor diagnosed you as having migraines? As not every severe headache is a migraine.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Can't help with that one but I've relied on Cafergot for my chronic migraines.  Usually only ever have to take one tablet to be effective, very occasionally a second is needed, but never more than that.  You have my sympathy for something that only migraine sufferers can understand.

I get far less headaches by taking better care of the diet.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

Ergotamine is very effective or was for me, but it made me vomit. In the UK they have it as a spray. I agree with @Mahseer above, Relpax, at about 250 baht for two tabs is very effective and widely available. It is made by Pfizer. 

3 hours ago, uttradit said:
3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I get far less headaches by taking better care of the diet.

Good for you but migraines are not just headaches!

Just now, uttradit said:
1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Good for you but migraines are not just headaches!

Just a bad headache...

Garbage.  If that's what you think then you've never had a migraine attack.  Some drama queens like to call headaches "migraines" just as they refer to a cold as "the flu".

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

59 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Garbage.  If that's what you think then you've never had a migraine attack.  Some drama queens like to call headaches "migraines" just as they refer to a cold as "the flu".

What causes migraines? Look it up

Try avoiding MSG altogether. All sources. Including sauces that contain 'spices'.

Maggi is one of the main source of MSG.

If your headache, or migraine as you call it, goes away, then you are simply allergic to MSG...

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Are migraines just headaches?  No, they're not,   Look it up.  I'm not commenting about the causes.

A migraine is a very bad headache or severe headache. That's the definition of a migraine.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

@georgeI can only talk out of my own experience. I am using Tofago for migraine, that I get approx. 2 times per month. To me, it is the most effective treatment I have tried. Have tested many, but only a few have been working. As a second choice I use Cafergot, that also do the job.

Using Tofago, I take 2 tablets and it always works. So, for me it´s all good, and not been feeling any side effects for the 5 years I have been using them. 

Me too for years Ive used exact same ingredients  marketed as Cafergot

I get the 'alarm bells' when I get weird illuminated zigzag lines in my vision, scramble for two Cafergot (I have strips of them in wallet, car, house etc etc) take it easy for half an hour and like magic the symptoms abate.

Lifted from the 'net:

What Cafergot is used for Cafergot is used to treat attacks of migraine with or without aura. These headaches are thought to be caused by temporary changes in the size of small blood vessels in the brain. These blood vessels swell, causing the pain and visual disturbances that often happen during an attack. Cafergot stops the attack by causing the blood vessels to constrict (shrink) back to normal size.

2 hours ago, uttradit said:
2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Are migraines just headaches?  No, they're not,   Look it up.  I'm not commenting about the causes.

A migraine is a very bad headache or severe headache. That's the definition of a migraine.

There is much more to a migraine attack than a headache, if that's all it was it'd just be called a headache or all headaches would be called migraines.   Head aches are nuisance, migraines can be seriously debilitating.

3 hours ago, uttradit said:

No it is not.

Migraine disease is  a neurological condition that features not just headache but other symptoms as well.

There are severe headaches that are not migraine.

8 hours ago, Regyai said:

i get the 'alarm bells' when I get weird illuminated zigzag lines in my vision, scramble for two Cafergot (I have strips of them in wallet, car, house etc etc) take it easy for half an hour and like magic the symptoms abate

That also happens without meds, BTW usually you'll get a visual disturbance before the aura

On 2/18/2024 at 1:43 PM, uttradit said:

Caffeine is more likely to give a headache than solve one. It dehydrates you. Take 2 pouches of electrolytes from 7/11 plus 2 panadol.

A migraine is not the same as a headache.

Been taking these for years, slowing trying to ease of the amount taken, Tafago doesn't seem to like me but no problems with Cafagot. Average twice a week but can feel when a migraine is coming, moods, different food wants etc so ! tablet usually stops it. Now using Tramadol 50mg as an alternative to get the body away from the Cafegot, yep I know addictive but use sparingly and at then back to the Cafegot.

The big one is I've started Accupuncture once a week, 5 weeks now and down to ! attack a week and not so severe, also the general well being is improving, probably because of less meds. been through all the foods, drinks, sleep tests etc. Very fit,etc for an old git!! Good luck. 

My wife has migraines.  She was taking a similar medication.  She went to the hospital to see our normal general practitioner and he said she should stop using that and switch to Replax.  It's pretty expensive, a box only has 2 pills.  These medications are used only once you start feeling a migraine coming on.

She saw a neurologist about a week later and he gave her a couple of medications that are supposed to help prevent migraines before they happen.

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

That also happens without meds, BTW usually you'll get a visual disturbance before the aura

Not to me it doesn't

No meds means two days of debilitating hell

I use SIAGRAN.  Each tab is 50mg. I found half will do the job in under 2 hours if taken as soon as I feel one coming on.

No side effects for me.

It is available from my local pharmacy, no script needed.

Sometimes alcohol can cause it, a few times a year. If the trend is progressing, I will take a half after drinking, no matter how small the drink.