Thailand’s democracy index ranking drops due to unelected govt

webfact

9 hours ago, webfact said:

“Thailand evidently lacks established or accepted rules regarding the democratic transfer of power, and its judiciary does not operate independently.”

they didn't come up with something new, this one we all know it 555

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

the fact that you can be walking down he street, be \heard having a friendly talk, and be charged.

Okay. Get back to us with any personal experience you have of that. I and we would be interested to know, I'm sure.

Thailand’s democracy index ranking drops due to unelected govt

Note that other than Bangkok and Pattaya City (and maybe the village headman), there are no elected provincial officials. All provincial officials, including the Governors, are controlled and appointed by the Minister of the Interior (Anutin).

Thai-style democracy is not democracy, it's just made up and presented as such to placate pesky foreign investors.

It's a plutocracy with one person at the top. 

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If it was about the Royal Family then I wouldn't be surprised. But name me anything else that is off-limits. Certainly nothing to do with the government or any official body such as Thailand's largest criminal organization. Daily comments on here.

for me it's the MU forum, got kicked out/denied access without any explanation  555

Edited by Mavideol

2 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

for me it's the MU forum, got kicked out/denied access without any explanation  555

I don't know what the MU forum is. But if you are 'censored' by admin they email you and message you why, and you have to acknowledge your guilt before they let you back.

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I don't know what the MU forum is. But if you are 'censored' by admin they email you and message you why, and you have to acknowledge your guilt before they let you back.

Manchester United and no, didn't receive anything, only the below pop up.... but it's off-topic here

Oops!

You do not have permission to view this topic.

•  
Edited by Mavideol

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You would deem the  military coup  of 2014 more democratic? I find that incredulous!

Roughly the same. A stolen election, with the army as part of the government. A coup. Not much difference. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If it was about the Royal Family then I wouldn't be surprised. But name me anything else that is off-limits. Certainly nothing to do with the government or any official body such as Thailand's largest criminal organisation. Daily comments on here.

Covid posts that don't fall in line with the narrative aka so-called conspiracy theories. At least that was most definitely the case during the pandemic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Note that other than Bangkok and Pattaya City (and maybe the village headman), there are no elected provincial officials. All provincial officials, including the Governors, are controlled and appointed by the Minister of the Interior

That's incorrect. Whilst the provincial governors are appointed by the Minister of the Interior, the local council and the mayor of each city and town municipality are directly elected by the local electorate.

Edited by Stocky

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Covid posts that don't fall in line with the narrative aka so-called conspiracy theories. At least that was most definitely the case during the pandemic.

I don't remember anyone being arrested for it. I might be wrong.

21 hours ago, retarius said:

The Economist is a shameless rag full of capitalist and imperial propaganda. I'm surprised anyone reads it any more. 

I don't know why you're bringing the Economist into the discussion, but your comment is nonsense.  If you scan the Letters section of any edition you'll find some very important people read it and feel it is worth their time to comment.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

I don't know why you're bringing the Economist into the discussion, but your comment is nonsense.  If you scan the Letters section of any edition you'll find some very important people read it and feel it is worth their time to comment.

The Economist is extreme capitalist propaganda and capitalists read it. Yes, some important people read it because some important people are capitalists unfortunately. Personally, I don't like very important people capitalists.

And I brought the Economist into it because I thought the EIU (Economist Intelligence Unit) is credited with being the compilers of the Democracy Index. Maybe I'm wrong, you might like to read the article. 

• Sad 1