Thailand’s democracy index ranking drops due to unelected govt

webfact

image.jpeg

The yearly Democracy Index compiled by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) has seen Thailand’s ranking fall by eight places, a change largely ascribed to the latest government formation by unelected senators rather than voters.

The EIU placed Thailand in the 63rd position among 167 countries and territories in 2023, a drop from its 55th position in 2022. The country’s score also saw a decrease from 6.67 to 6.35 points.

The EIU’s annual evaluation rates countries on a zero to 10 scale. Any country scoring above eight is classified as a full democracy, whereas those with scores under four are considered authoritarian regimes. With scores ranging between six and eight, Thailand joins the broad category of flawed democracies.

The top five positions on the index were dominated by Norway, New Zealand, Iceland, Sweden, and Finland, respectively, all scoring above nine.

The scores are determined based on performance in five sub-categories. Thailand achieved a 7 for the electoral process and pluralism, 6.07 for the functioning of government, 7.78 for political participation, 5 for political culture, and 5.88 for civil liberties, reported Bangkok Post.

The country’s overall score hasn’t seen significant changes since 2019. That year, following five years of military rule, Thailand’s score rose sharply to 6.32 from 4.63, as per EIU data.

In the 2022 index, Thailand’s score experienced an upturn as opposition parties were provided more freedom to compete in local and national elections, due to increased political participation, stated the EIU.

However, the 2023 general election saw the Move Forward Party earn the majority of votes but fail to establish a government due to a lack of support from the unelected Senate.

The suspension of party leader Pita Limjaroenrat, ordered by the court for several months while a ruling on a precarious media share ownership case was pending – ultimately judged in his favour – further emphasised the hurdles, commented EIU analysts.

“Thailand evidently lacks established or accepted rules regarding the democratic transfer of power, and its judiciary does not operate independently.”

According to the survey, out of the 28 countries in the Asia and Australasia region, only five are full democracies (Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Australia, and New Zealand), in stark contrast to the 13 non-democratic regimes.

by Mitch Connor

Picture courtesy of jcomp, Freepik

Source: The Thaiger 2024-02-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

With scores ranging between six and eight, Thailand joins the broad category of flawed democracies.

A more accurate description might be: Weak autocracy.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

“Thailand evidently lacks established or accepted rules regarding the democratic transfer of power, and its judiciary does not operate independently.”

Very true, however, evidently should be deleted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

Thailand has no democracy. The army and elite is in charge even behind the scenes and they approve or disapprove who is going to be in the government and what is going to be done or not. The peoples voice is not important as Prayuth said already" Thailand has its own democracy" and those who stand up are being silenced even for nothing as the section 112 can used for everything. Democracy also  has a freedom of speech and writing, but in Thailand censure is common in the media, newspapers on the streets and even on your facebook. It is a constitutional monarchy, but not a constitution democracy. Democracy is far away but it is a totalitarian system.

constitutional monarchy.........Well said.....

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Thailand censure is common in the media, newspapers on the streets and even on your facebook.

I don't think so. This very site disproves what you say, and FB ignores protests about anything the Thai elite don't like, as brushing off the occasional threat by an outraged government to block FB in Thailand proves.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I don't think so. This very site disproves what you say, and FB ignores protests about anything the Thai elite don't like, as brushing off the occasional threat by an outraged government to block FB in Thailand proves.

I bet you if I posted a video of Dr John Campbell it would be taken down. It certainly happened before. Free speech and censorship is now a problem globably. 112 is now a political weapon to supress opposition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

That ius exactly what I meant

Actually, this site proves the point. I had a reasonable comment removed because future discussions might have gone over the rules.

19 minutes ago, smedly said:

no surprise really, the election result was ignored - how is that even close to democracy, the fact remains that it isn't 

This is not a Thai thing Take a look at Pakistan.  To a greater extent, this is an Asian thing.  How many countries in Asia have free elections that are not controlled.

24 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Actually, this site proves the point. I had a reasonable comment removed because future discussions might have gone over the rules.

If it was about the Royal Family then I wouldn't be surprised. But name me anything else that is off-limits. Certainly nothing to do with the government or any official body such as Thailand's largest criminal organisation. Daily comments on here.

27 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If it was about the Royal Family then I wouldn't be surprised. But name me anything else that is off-limits. Certainly nothing to do with the government or any official body such as Thailand's largest criminal organisation. Daily comments on here.

x

Edited by kingstonkid

45 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

This is not a Thai thing Take a look at Pakistan.  To a greater extent, this is an Asian thing.  How many countries in Asia have free elections that are not controlled.

Not just Asia, there's just not that many fully democratic countries.

2024-02-1912_52_20-DemocracyIndex_Bangladeshslipstwonotches_TheDailyStar-Brave.jpg.4999ef1021a16ad3a890af0aa6a0c1e3.jpg

• Like 1