meet for coffee or....

kingstonkid

5 hours ago, Cricky said:

There was this recent Phuket thread.

Not too many interested.

I made a comment below.....

Heavy security would be required, From what I read on these forums most of the guys are quite rude and hostile on the keyboard, lots of warriors.     I'm sure there'd be some casualties at a meeting. ⛑️       

That seems to be a somewhat truncated conversation.

On 2/19/2024 at 1:27 PM, kingstonkid said:

Has anyone ever tried to set up a meet up for expats living in BKK.

Next question how many would be interested in meeting for a coffee. Or....

Man you gotta a lot of hate on this one.I would meet some of the guys on here for coffee or beer but I'm in rural Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I used to attend some of the Nana Plaza meetups with K. Sanuk and Stickman, good fun, but that was like 20+ years ago. Mostly just sexpats eating burgers and drinking beer while chatting about their time in Thailand.

There used to be a ThaiVisa bar just off lower Sukhumvit, and there were regular meet-ups.  

I went a couple of times, but without the common interest of say, a business meeting or a sports club or hobby gathering, the conversations are awkward.

Just because you happen to be strangers in a strange land, doesn't mean you're friends.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Jake72 said:

I used to attend some of the Nana Plaza meetups with K. Sanuk and Stickman, good fun, but that was like 20+ years ago. Mostly just sexpats eating burgers and drinking beer while chatting about their time in Thailand.

Americans you mean?  🙂

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Then there are others such as Sheryl - who I’d bring flowers and say thanks for everything she does for this online community….

And plenty of others…

100% agree about Sheryl.  

• Like 2

Sure for a laugh.  but cant, I'm not in Bangkok.

and the venue would need to serve alcohol as well as coffee.

How about an afternoon on the slash down Soi 6 pattaya.

just after Songkran, I will be in town

any takers. ?

3 hours ago, smokie36 said:

I'm hosting a meetup on Sunday...2pm kickoff on lower Sukhumvit.

Only proper pissheads send a PM please no halfazzed 3 pint girly types thanks.

and no pot heads .... they can stay at home and bong there brains out ...

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

& the GOM from the famed Grumpy old man thread…

I went to Emporium for morning coffee at the Oriental Cafe for weeks, sitting in every chair in the hopes of a thrilling encounter !!! 🫣

I sighted the GOM a few times sitting in his favourite seat hogging the newspaper (the one that cannot be named).

However, following the Emporium renovation and relocation of the Oriental Cafe I never saw him again. No doubt profound disappointment with the layout of the new Oriental Cafe. (Mr. Toad used to keep track of him almost like an obsession although he hasn't been seen on the forum for many years.)

Edited by mark5335
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

Not interesting at all, non existent actually, besides my significant other, and very happy that way.

Having a chat over coffee with soi dogs did seem a bit, eeeer, strange.........😋

• Haha 1

On 2/20/2024 at 11:35 PM, Kinnock said:

There used to be a ThaiVisa bar just off lower Sukhumvit, and there were regular meet-ups.  

I went a couple of times, but without the common interest of say, a business meeting or a sports club or hobby gathering, the conversations are awkward.

Just because you happen to be strangers in a strange land, doesn't mean you're friends.

but it does mean you have a common language and maybe tribe

• Like 1

Just now, ravip said:

Well... we have a great community here at AN.

The camaraderie is overwhelming! :heart_001:

Just thinking the same.....although in their defense their reaction might stem from experiences of  "meeting expats in bars"..........with one exception the ones I have met, I've left a beer on the bar and quietly slipped away.

• Agree 1