Jump to content

Ready-to-Drink Fresh Milk Prices Approved to Increase


snoop1130

Recommended Posts

1708314618_400007-tnamcot.jpg

 

BANGKOK, Feb 19 (TNA) – The Department of Internal Trade has approved price increases for six producers of milk and dairy products.

 

These changes are set to take effect within 1-2 weeks, following the depletion of old stock.

 

The price hike affects six brands of popular fresh milk, including UHT milk, pasteurized milk, sterilized milk, and bottled milk in sizes ranging from 180-225 milliliters, with an average increase of 0.50 baht per bottle or carton.

 

Full story: Thai News Agency 2024-02-19

 

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

 

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

 

Join us now!

  • Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good for the dairy farmers, they margins are getting tighter a lot of farms are still giving  up, can not make it pay.

They still is a about 25 % short fall of fresh milk in the country, last time farm gate price went up 2-baht, milk in 7-11 etc. went up, then no one brought it, to expensive ,so the price came back down, so did the farm gate price.

But at the time feed prices went up, so it was back to square one.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My question is how many batts does it have to go up in the store before the farmer gets one batt?  They say in Canada if the wheat farmers got 5 cents from every loaf of bread sold they would all be multi millionaires.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

I admit I've not bought milk in the UK for years.  I remember seeing cream on the top few inches (till they introduced 'white water' for the Health conscious). 

I have never seen this in Thailand nor any significant herds of dairy cattle (merely scrawny, sad-eyed beasts in Issaan.  I was under the impression the milk was re-constituted powder imported from Malaysia.

This might explain the ludicrously high price of cheese & other dairy products?

https://www.tridge.com/news/overview-of-thailands-dairy-sector

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I just buy dried milk from New Zealand , much better than any Thai produced milk ,

but I expect the price of that will go up too , and the Government still says inflation

is only1 % , 

 

regards worgeordie

Not only does it taste better, but only ~฿32 per liter when buying a box (฿2700) of 12 one kg bags of Dairy Rich (full cream milk powder), and , delivered to your house.

 

~฿38 per liter if mix the ratio like I do.  Get 6 L from 1 kg bag vs 7 L recommended ratio powder/water.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not only does it taste better, but only ~฿32 per liter when buying a box (฿2700) of 12 one kg bags of Dairy Rich (full cream milk powder), and , delivered to your house.

 

~฿38 per liter if mix the ratio like I do.  Get 6 L from 1 kg bag vs 7 L recommended ratio powder/water.

Geezus, I'm a bloody kiwi and haven't twigged onto this yet! 

 

Best I get me some pronto. 

 

I've been buying the All Season pasteurised milk in the 2 litre round plastic container.  At 93 baht it's quite good. In NZ you pay anywhere from 67 to 100 baht. IMG_20240220_093827.thumb.jpg.b7c442dbc901c62c06725b513be64579.jpg

 

 

Edited by Korat Kiwi
Spelling
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Geezus, I'm a bloody kiwi and haven't twigged onto this yet! 

 

Best I get me some pronto. 

 

I've been buying the All Season pasteurised milk in the 2 litre round plastic container.  At 93 baht it's quite good. In NZ you pay anywhere from 67 to 100 baht. IMG_20240220_093827.thumb.jpg.b7c442dbc901c62c06725b513be64579.jpg

 

 

Makro carries the Diary Rich milk powder, and makes 7 L if following directions (860gr w/160gr DR).   I haven't found it cheaper online, with shipping added in, unless buying a box of 12.   Which the wife found.  Some vendors charge same shipping for 2 bags, so works out cheaper than Makro.   Last time at our local Makro (฿265).   Just saw it on Makro website, for ฿300, and a silly price.

 

Good for test run, see if you like it.  I think it tastes great, compared to store bought fresh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Geezus, I'm a bloody kiwi and haven't twigged onto this yet! 

 

Best I get me some pronto. 

 

I've been buying the All Season pasteurised milk in the 2 litre round plastic container.  At 93 baht it's quite good. In NZ you pay anywhere from 67 to 100 baht. IMG_20240220_093827.thumb.jpg.b7c442dbc901c62c06725b513be64579.jpg

 

 

Only 85bht in BigC.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Makro carries the Diary Rich milk powder, and makes 7 L if following directions (860gr w/160gr DR).   I haven't found it cheaper online, with shipping added in, unless buying a box of 12.   Which the wife found.  Some vendors charge same shipping for 2 bags, so works out cheaper than Makro.   Last time at our local Makro (฿265).   Just saw it on Makro website, for ฿300, and a silly price.

 

Good for test run, see if you like it.  I think it tastes great, compared to store bought fresh.

If you live in Chiang Mai

Makro 300bht.

YoK 222bht.

Edited by BritManToo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If you live in Chiang Mai

Makro 300bht.

YoK 222bht.

Yea, that was a shocker, as I was there just last week pricing Dairy Rich, to work out best buy.  And it was 265.   Thought I'd check Makro online before posting the above, and yikes, glad I did.  A 12% increase in 1 week.   Still see it online for 228-ish, but they add about 40 baht shipping, although as stated, some if ordering 2, it's still the same shipping charge.   When I keyed in 3 or 4, shipping increased, but not doubled.   And ... delivered to the house.

 

Wife found LAZ or Shoppe vendor, 2600 (corrected price) for box of, and called them direct.  Same price, but no shipping charge, so worked at best, and we'll use 12 pcs with no problem.  Expires next year anyway.

 

Happy Shopping

Edited by KhunLA
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Makro carries the Diary Rich milk powder, and makes 7 L if following directions (860gr w/160gr DR).   I haven't found it cheaper online, with shipping added in, unless buying a box of 12.   Which the wife found.  Some vendors charge same shipping for 2 bags, so works out cheaper than Makro.   Last time at our local Makro (฿265).   Just saw it on Makro website, for ฿300, and a silly price.

 

Good for test run, see if you like it.  I think it tastes great, compared to store bought fresh.

 

Do you mix it 1 liter at a time with a whisk, then just keep it in a bottle to be used over a few days, and repeat 6 or 7 times, or what is your milking method? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

 

Do you mix it 1 liter at a time with a whisk, then just keep it in a bottle to be used over a few days, and repeat 6 or 7 times, or what is your milking method? 

Yes, and simple enough.  6 L per bag for us, 165gr of DR / 835gr of water vs their recommended 140gr / 860gr ratio.   Last a few days, as I usually only use for cereal.   I drink kefir as a beverage & use as a yogurt. 

 

Strange, I still buy Magnolia fresh milk, to make Kefir, as does a better job than my preferred DutchMill.  Milk powder milk doesn't seem to work good with my Kefir grains.  That's a daily prep,  explained at this link.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I just buy dried milk from New Zealand , much better than any Thai produced milk ,

but I expect the price of that will go up too , and the Government still says inflation

is only1 % , 

 

regards worgeordie

What was that scandal regarding melamine in milk,  some years back?

Dried milk powder,  is it really so good? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, ravip said:

What was that scandal regarding melamine in milk,  some years back?

Dried milk powder,  is it really so good? 

That was in China ..... This milk is produced in NZ , no Chinese involved 🙄

 

regards Worgeordiie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, stratocaster said:

Thanks for this;

No wonder (farang) prized raw materials are in short supply or horribly expensive!

 

'Thailand's domestic raw milk supply is insufficient to meet the country's demand,'

'In terms of exports, Thailand's main dairy exports are pasteurized and ultra-high temperature (UHT) milk, condensed milk, evaporated milk, ice cream, drinking yogurt, yogurt and butter'

' majority of Thailand's dairy exports are produced from imported dairy products,'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, worgeordie said:

That was in China ..... This milk is produced in NZ , no Chinese involved 🙄

 

regards Worgeordiie

The raw product was from NZ,  however 'additives' were used in China to 'boost' the product to be used as child/infant formula. 

 

This was done without the parent companys' (Fronterra) notification. 

 

Some think it was a ploy/scam by an opposition corporation to undermine Fonterras reputation. It did cause a drop in market shares.... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/20/2024 at 9:44 AM, Korat Kiwi said:

Geezus, I'm a bloody kiwi and haven't twigged onto this yet! 

 

Best I get me some pronto. 

 

I've been buying the All Season pasteurised milk in the 2 litre round plastic container.  At 93 baht it's quite good. In NZ you pay anywhere from 67 to 100 baht. IMG_20240220_093827.thumb.jpg.b7c442dbc901c62c06725b513be64579.jpg

 

 

 

does this one not have 100 gram of sugar added per liter?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/20/2024 at 7:21 AM, mikebell said:

I admit I've not bought milk in the UK for years.  I remember seeing cream on the top few inches (till they introduced 'white water' for the Health conscious). 

I have never seen this in Thailand nor any significant herds of dairy cattle (merely scrawny, sad-eyed beasts in Issaan.  I was under the impression the milk was re-constituted powder imported from Malaysia.

This might explain the ludicrously high price of cheese & other dairy products?

Thailand has a thriving dairy industry of its own.

Milk is the most perishable of all fresh foods, no dairy farm in Thailand has any cooling facilities , just too expensive to install and run, for just a few cows, after milking AM and PM ,with in an hour milk is pickup from the farms ,some farmers take it themselves ,to a milk center that check the quality, cools and stores the milk ,before sending it to milk factory's ,and it is the milk centers that pay the dairy farmers.

Most of the milk centers take milk from about a 20 km radius, that is why you never see a dairy farm in a rice field in the middle of Issan.

In my area of about 100 ton of milk is produced per day, all sent to 5 milk centers in the area.

Butter and cheese in Thailand are expensive because it is all imported.

About 25 years ago, the Thai Denmark milk company had a Danish guy over here trying to produce some cheese, that never worked, one of the milk centers near me was looking into it, but I think the costs were to high. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2024 at 1:35 PM, KhunLA said:

Yes, and simple enough.  6 L per bag for us, 165gr of DR / 835gr of water vs their recommended 140gr / 860gr ratio.   Last a few days, as I usually only use for cereal.   I drink kefir as a beverage & use as a yogurt. 

 

Strange, I still buy Magnolia fresh milk, to make Kefir, as does a better job than my preferred DutchMill.  Milk powder milk doesn't seem to work good with my Kefir grains.  That's a daily prep,  explained at this link.

 

Just tried my first Dairy Rich purchase (222bht from YoK), 240ml of water + 40gm milk powder (6:1 as advised on the packet).

No need to whisk, it dissolved right in taking under 60 seconds, no residue on top or bottom.

Tasted fine in my tea, handed a glass to my misses and son (they didn't know it was made from powder), "does this milk taste odd?"

And they both agreed it tasted totally normal ..........

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/19/2024 at 8:16 PM, still kicking said:

The Vegans will love that.

Well actually, listening to the Mrs, veg prices are very much on the up too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/20/2024 at 7:21 AM, mikebell said:

I admit I've not bought milk in the UK for years.  I remember seeing cream on the top few inches (till they introduced 'white water' for the Health conscious). 

I have never seen this in Thailand nor any significant herds of dairy cattle (merely scrawny, sad-eyed beasts in Issaan.  I was under the impression the milk was re-constituted powder imported from Malaysia.

This might explain the ludicrously high price of cheese & other dairy products?

I have seen quite extensive dairy farming in some parts - around Pak Chong and on the Korat plateau for example - although it is chiefly comprised of family operations with small herds.

 

What I have noticed is that a couple of times I have bought a "cows egg" ( I drink quite a lot of milk) they have had a distinctive taste - I suspect the old reconstituted stuff is being mixed in with the fresh milk when their is a shortage.

 

I suspect that the high prices of other dairy products are due to a lack of volume in sales - outside western circles it doesn't really feature in the normal diet here.

Edited by herfiehandbag
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...