What are you cooking today?

2 hours ago, Negita43 said:

I have 1 medium chest freezer, 1 big freezer in my large fridge and 1 small freezer in another fridge. They are all totally FULL and as soon as one of them has some space available it fills again.

My gf was a teacher and she was also responsible for the catering at her school of around 120 students and staff. She has now retired but when she cooks at home (often) she still thinks she's cooking for the school!!!

I want to make a giant pork pie in my air fryer and it will be in an 8 inch diameter springfoil baking tin. I need 500g of pork belly, chopped small, 1kg of minced pork shoulder, lard, so my wife will have to get that lot and I will render the pork fat down into lard. She will keep the skin to make pork cracklings.

Including the hot water pastry it will probably weigh close to 2 1/2 kg and take a couple of days to assemble and cook. Hopefully there will be some space available in the fridge/freezer by then.

Just now, billd766 said:

Including the hot water pastry it will probably weigh close to 2 1/2 kg and take a couple of days to assemble and cook. Hopefully there will be some space available in the fridge/freezer by then.

If not I will be happy to make room in mine:cheesy:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

If not I will be happy to make room in mine:cheesy:

I am sure that you would but this is just a tester, and I would hate to get it wrong and poison you.

I do have some HP sauce and also some hot German mustard to go with it.

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

I am sure that you would but this is just a tester, and I would hate to get it wrong and poison you.

I do have some HP sauce and also some hot German mustard to go with it.

Loewnsenf

20 hours ago, sirineou said:

Wife made my favorite today Cashew Chicken, with the right amount of fire

I can't stop eating it, every time I walk by the kitchen I take another bite. 

chickenthai.thumb.jpg.c5cafec111237ed28724c9083ec15489.jpg

It's one of my favourites also. Looks very nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, marin said:

Cooked up a big breakfast prior to the Dubs vs Suns NBA game.

IMG_20210502_094650.jpg

Bacon, Homefries, sunny side up eggs and sausage .Love it!! My favorite breakfast 

• Love It 1

19 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Bacon, Homefries, sunny side up eggs and sausage .Love it!! My favorite breakfast 

Missing the sourdough toast...

May favorite breakfast is two over medium (cooked in ghee) on top of a plate of biscuits gravy. Preferably, gravy made with good Italian sausage. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Another day, another loaf ...

... point of posting, switched up the recipe, 50/50 bread/whole wheat.  Like the flavor better, but not the denser loaf.   Whole wheat sucking up the water, so next one, adding 15% more water, and hope that will compensate.   In the past, used 400gr/100gr, and except for flavor, not much difference in density.

Used this whole wheat flour (no bits, fine flour), 5kg @ ฿300, wife found onlne.

image.png.6bcb86973f764266063d66528338d28d.png

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 11:22 AM, sirineou said:

Don't remember who, when we were talking about Japanese curry that he made it with pork meatballs. 

Who ever it was take a bow !! They say "  Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

So today I thought I'll give it a try, But I used Beef, as I had some good Australian beef that I grinded myself. 

Made the meatballs and baked them in the airfryer first 

In a pot water, salt, pepper ,chopped onions m dill, and a few small tomatoes that I parboiled . removed the skin. and chopped them up.

The put the meatballs in and boiled them together until the carrots were soft. 

My Thanks to whoever mentioned, It was a great idea. 

jappanesemeatballs.jpg.c2dffec609ac7e575ee67fa2518ba039.jpg

Looks nice. Reminds me of the panackelty my mam used to make. Great on a cold day. All that's missing is a few dumplings.

34 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

image.jpeg

Nice ... been thinking about pancakes the past couple days myself.   Have a flavorless pancake mix I sample, falling under, "you get what you pay for"  ...  or ... "stick with what you know ... idiot".

Also have a bunch of pandan powder to test out ... 2 birds with one stone :coffee1:

• Love It 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Haven't had tater tots, in probably 40+ yrs ...  image.png.f8552834cb8298f60feba0f150ee8ebe.png

Tater tots remind me of the cafeteria in Highschool  :smile:. I haven't seen them here, Where did you find them? I used to fry them . scramble a few eggs and pour them over and make a tater tot  omelet .

Have you ever tried that?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Tater tots remind me of the cafeteria in Highschool  :smile:. I haven't seen them here, Where did you find them? I used to fry them . scramble a few eggs and pour them over and make a tater tot  omelet .

Have you ever tried that?

Makro had them (฿139), along with the hash browns. 

image.png.0edd77764bce8af049eb70cac91ff72c.png

On 2/13/2024 at 1:18 PM, KhunLA said:

Nice ... been thinking about pancakes the past couple days myself.   Have a flavorless pancake mix I sample, falling under, "you get what you pay for"  ...  or ... "stick with what you know ... idiot".

Also have a bunch of pandan powder to test out ... 2 birds with one stone :coffee1:

This turned out OK.  Used the crap pancake mix, photo below, DO NOT BUY.  Stick with Imperial or different brand.  I tested the crappy brand, because the Imperial went from ~฿80 to ฿120, simply because the renamed it from 'Pancake Mix' to ... "American Pancake Mix" :cheesy:

Anyway, crap mix w/pandan powder, topped butter, honey & cinnamon, and tasty:

image.png.61cfc20dc0fc73028fcbe58cc59506e4.png

Avoid this brand, get Imperial, or just make your own:

image.png.e43d808a7a22a7b90f9db8f368721371.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

This turned out OK.  Used the crap pancake mix, photo below, DO NOT BUY.  Stick with Imperial or different brand.  I tested the crappy brand, because the Imperial went from ~฿80 to ฿120, simply because the renamed it from 'Pancake Mix' to ... "American Pancake Mix" :cheesy:

Anyway, crap mix w/pandan powder, topped butter, honey & cinnamon, and tasty:

image.png.61cfc20dc0fc73028fcbe58cc59506e4.png

Avoid this brand, get Imperial, or just make your own:

image.png.e43d808a7a22a7b90f9db8f368721371.png

Do you not have flour anyway? Why buy mix? 

49 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Do you not have flour anyway? Why buy mix? 

Simply easier, and habit I didn't get out of, when daughter was younger at the house, and she wanted pancakes.  She could easily make herself.

But yea, can't see me buying mix again, especially since I like the pandan flavor, or will simply do with bananas & flour.  All a bit too easy.

Some things, I'd rather just buy at 7-11.   Although has a better Pandan flavor, a PITA to make, and now have about 10X of what a serving is at 7-11 (weight wise), and really don't need to have this sitting here.

Guess I could freeze half till next month.  

image.png.28f0712d47024812b0d9c40db6760081.png

Edited by KhunLA

Curry puffs

filling like a traditional curry puff.  (potatoes , onions, carrots . ground pork , salt pepper curry powder/

and I use the Puff pastry dough from Macro.

Don't buy the Arro. I did not like it. 

currypuffs.jpg.2b79e43daa1ae60832c43dd10805b414.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I make a batch of Kefir every day.  Actually starting to make more than I can drink/eat in a day.   Use Magnolia 100%  fresh milk, to make Kefir, as does a better job than my preferred (taste wise) DutchMill.  Milk powder milk doesn't seem to work good with my Kefir grains. 

Make every 24 hrs for 2-3 cups yield of Kefir, using about 700ml of fresh milk.  Kefir is really thick, yogurt thick, after 6+ hrs in frig.  Next day, and I can't even poor it out of the glass.

Kefir packs more nutrition than yogurt, especially the very desirable K group (K1-2-3-4-5), K2 to keep them blood vessels clear of calcium build up. 

Natto providing even more K2, along with good gut bacteria, same as Kefir.image.png.2020345eedee7a6ee25f3e1e6b7613fb.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I make a batch of Kefir every day.  Actually starting to make more than I can drink/eat in a day.   Use Magnolia 100%  fresh milk, to make Kefir, as does a better job than my preferred (taste wise) DutchMill.  Milk powder milk doesn't seem to work good with my Kefir grains. 

Make every 24 hrs for 2-3 cups yield of Kefir, using about 700ml of fresh milk.  Kefir is really thick, yogurt thick, after 6+ hrs in frig.  Next day, and I can't even poor it out of the glass.

Kefir packs more nutrition than yogurt, especially the very desirable K group (K1-2-3-4-5), K2 to keep them blood vessels clear of calcium build up. 

Natto providing even more K2, along with good gut bacteria, same as Kefir.image.png.2020345eedee7a6ee25f3e1e6b7613fb.png

I will admit, i know very little about Kefir, I will research it,  but from your description it sound like a lot of work. Knowing myself, I try to work things with in my life style (things I enjoy to do) rather than things I should be doing because they are better for me, but I know I will not do in the long run because they are not part of my Freestyle. 

I am way too busy arguing the merits oh Hydrogen Fuel Cells over conventional EV batteries :laugh:

For breakfast , I try to have a ball of Greek Yogurt, with honey and crashed walnuts. 

But since you guys ruined my boyish figure by turning me on to the joys of pastry puff dough sold at Makro, I have been doing intermittent fasting ( no food after 6 pm and not food before 12 pm. 

So reakfast is out, and its all your fault, so I hope you are all happy with yourselves.  :tongue:

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I will admit, i know very little about Kefir, I will research it,  but from your description it sound like a lot of work. Knowing myself, I try to work things with in my life style (things I enjoy to do) rather than things I should be doing because they are better for me, but I know I will not do in the long run because they are not part of my Freestyle. 

I am way too busy arguing the merits oh Hydrogen Fuel Cells over conventional EV batteries :laugh:

For breakfast , I try to have a ball of Greek Yogurt, with honey and crashed walnuts. 

But since you guys ruined my boyish figure by turning me on to the joys of pastry puff dough sold at Makro, I have been doing intermittent fasting ( no food after 6 pm and not food before 12 pm. 

So reakfast is out, and its all your fault, so I hope you are all happy with yourselves.  :tongue:

I mix up the Dairy Rich milk every few days, and less effort than a cup of coffee, or same as instant.  Water in jug, add milk powder & stir.  Put in frig.

Keir is easy enough, bought the grain on LAZ, and simply add milk, wait 24 hours.  Push through a fine strainer into a bowl, put grains back in the jar (Mason type).  Takes all of 15 ish minutes, but does have to be done everyday.   Started off with 20gr of grains, and now have 30+ (two weeks later), and probably why it's as thick yogurt now, after a day in the frig.   Actually preferred vs thick milk.

Natto, now that's a bit more involved, since no pressure cooker, and wife does that.  Soak soy beans 12-18 hrs, then cook the beans for about 4 hrs in slow cooker, till squishable soft.   Then ferment in the Natto cooker, for simplicity, with added Natto or Natto spores, for 18 hours.   Basically, kept at a low temp, same as making yogurt but that only takes 8-10 hrs.  Only bought the 'cheap A$$' Natto cooker, so no need to pay attention to temp & time of or fermentation of the beans.  And doesn't tie up the oven, as where most people stick it while fermenting.  Natto cooker can be used to make yogurt, Natto or Sake, with presets for 8/18/36 hrs, respectfully.   

Natto is what you really want, for K2 and clearing your blood vessels.  Along with good gut bacteria/probiotics.  Need to take care if already on any heart or BP, thinner or anti clotting meds, as it does the same thing ... naturally.  Screw Big Pharma, pushing their side effecting poisons ... :cheesy:

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a DOC, so consult your doc before mixing Natto (nattokinase) or any supplements with your meds :coffee1:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I mix up the Dairy Rich milk every few days, and less effort than a cup of coffee, or same as instant.  Water in jug, add milk powder & stir.  Put in frig.

Keir is easy enough, bought the grain on LAZ, and simply add milk, wait 24 hours.  Push through a fine strainer into a bowl, put grains back in the jar (Mason type).  Takes all of 15 ish minutes, but does have to be done everyday.   Started off with 20gr of grains, and now have 30+ (two weeks later), and probably why it's as thick yogurt now, after a day in the frig.   Actually preferred vs thick milk.

Natto, now that's a bit more involved, since no pressure cooker, and wife does that.  Soak soy beans 12-18 hrs, then cook the beans for about 4 hrs in slow cooker, till squishable soft.   Then ferment in the Natto cooker, for simplicity, with added Natto or Natto spores, for 18 hours.   Basically, kept at a low temp, same as making yogurt but that only takes 8-10 hrs.  Only bought the 'cheap A$$' Natto cooker, so no need to pay attention to temp & time of or fermentation of the beans.  And doesn't tie up the oven, as where most people stick it while fermenting.  Natto cooker can be used to make yogurt, Natto or Sake, with presets for 8/18/36 hrs, respectfully.   

Natto is what you really want, for K2 and clearing your blood vessels.  Along with good gut bacteria/probiotics.  Need to take care if already on any heart or BP, thinner or anti clotting meds, as it does the same thing ... naturally.  Screw Big Pharma, pushing their side effecting poisons ... :cheesy:

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a DOC, so consult your doc before mixing Natto (nattokinase) or any supplements with your meds :coffee1:

Interesting. I am not a doctor either but I believe most doacs are not K2 antagonists like coumadin (warfarin) is.

I like a you tuber named Brad Stanfeld who has many videos where he assesses various supplements.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

Sorry to hear about that.. After such a sad day you would not be interested in a slice or 2 of pork pie. Even with 2 slices taken out is still weighs 2.25 kg. made in an 8 inch springfoil dish and cooked in an air fryer. It took 2 days to assemble (4 hours) and 2 hours to cook. The first slice had HP sauce and the second had hot German mustard. Both were very tasty.

It was just an experiment and I will go back to normal size pork pies again.

20240217_144455.jpg

20240218_125129.jpg

Edited by billd766
added extra text
  • Thumbs Up 2

Not exactly homemade, just home cooked.   I like shrimp cakes/donuts, but hit & miss at vendors.   These had decent flavor, and 10 pieces so about half price what most vendors would charge.   May want to sample, cheap enough.

image.png.a347e2195b8500d65b3cdad291936aa6.png

Optical illusion, realistic size, the one in the back :coffee1:

image.png.b82182874dc353689fe36be2b6c326f5.png

Edited by KhunLA

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not exactly homemade, just home cooked.   I like shrimp cakes/donuts, but hit & miss at vendors.   These had decent flavor, and 10 pieces so about half price what most vendors would charge.   May want to sample, cheap enough.

image.png.a347e2195b8500d65b3cdad291936aa6.png

Optical illusion, realistic size, the one in the back :coffee1:

image.png.b82182874dc353689fe36be2b6c326f5.png

That's interesting . I never heard of them before . Sounds like they would be good .

They look lie far onion rings. Where did you get them? 

11 minutes ago, sirineou said:

That's interesting . I never heard of them before . Sounds like they would be good .

They look lie far onion rings. Where did you get them? 

oops ... Makro

Wish I could find decent onion rings.  All seem to be the 'formed' same size, and not much actually onion ring or flavor to them.  Usually too lazy to make them.  Occasionally find good ones at vendor, but rare.

Edited by KhunLA