American expat escapes Thai jail time for scathing hotel review

snoop1130

3 hours ago, arick said:

It was koh chang a few years back did the same to a guest over his own bottle at the table.  Is this the same hotel ?

Just another regurgitated story, I have no Idea why AN decided to post it again years later. :sad: 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Thonburi-tales said:

I would have thought every American male has a rap sheet for gun offences and unruly behaviour. Goes without saying in Texas doesnt it.

6000b for a night in a provincial hotel???  jesus

I pay that per month for a two storey home just over the river from Chinatown.

Thailand is a 3rd rate tourist destination that charges 5 star prices. I havent been down to Pattaya or Phuket in over 20years.

Overated dumps full of old farang and dirty cops.

So other than that it's OK is it?:wink:

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Yes. This is "news" from 2020. I believe that the hotel received a lot of negative publicity for their over-reaction and (IIRC) has since changed name.

Having said that, the guy who posted the bad review was (IMO) quite a dick. He brought a bottle of gin(?) from the 7/11 and expected to drink it in the hotel restaurant (not in his room) - then he was upset when the management challenged him and asked for a corkage fee.

what a cad

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, steven100 said:

you can't tell the truth here ...  If your hotel is dirty,  or the service isn't good ... you can't say anything. ...

if you go to a restaurant and the meal was well below what should have been provided, or the table waiter is rude or the service is non-existent ....  you can't say anything. 

you must lie .... 😂

No....you just smile and leave.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Yes. This is "news" from 2020. I believe that the hotel received a lot of negative publicity for their over-reaction and (IIRC) has since changed name.

Having said that, the guy who posted the bad review was (IMO) quite a dick. He brought a bottle of gin(?) from the 7/11 and expected to drink it in the hotel restaurant (not in his room) - then he was upset when the management challenged him and asked for a corkage fee.

This may seem off topic but it is much like the corkage fee. When I go to Pattaya I used to enjoy a good English breakfast but I do not like yellow label or lukewarm tea, I prefer English breakfast tea boiling hot so I took a flask of my own tea and the staff did not mind. That place is closed now so I just have a breakfast in my hotel room.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Banana7 said:

One can write a critical review but just craft the review carefully. He could have said the service did not meet his expectations and is the worst he has ever experienced and did not have a happy enjoyable experience. Just talk about your own feels and not say the staff did a XXXX job.

Who is it that decides about the interpretation of this stupid rule, what can you say and what can't you?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, steven100 said:

you can't tell the truth here ...  If your hotel is dirty,  or the service isn't good ... you can't say anything. ...

if you go to a restaurant and the meal was well below what should have been provided, or the table waiter is rude or the service is non-existent ....  you can't say anything. 

you must lie .... 😂

No!! Make up a false Facebook page and then tell that thev are c..p. Truth Done!!!!😏😏😏😏

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, LetsGoJoe said:

No....you just smile and leave.

and there lies the problem .... if everyone always did that even though there's legitimate complaint or things not correct how the heck can anything ever be fixed or improved. 

So your saying just shut up and it'll never get better .....     that's why Thailand doesn't move forward.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, steven100 said:

and there lies the problem .... if everyone always did that even though there's legitimate complaint or things not correct how the heck can anything ever be fixed or improved. 

So your saying just shut up and it'll never get better .....     that's why Thailand doesn't move forward.

Just one of many reasons.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, worgeordie said:

No comment  ....the only sure way not to be sued 

regards Worgeodie

Yep, this has been my policy, for all Thai services... Bargain ruthlessly through the various platforms and never review, if asked I refer to the Seaview scandal, and explain that any good review of a Thai entity can be suspected of having been written under duress, hence useless.

• Haha 1

Maybe a poor memory but wasn't someone (unrelated to this article) charged with defamation because they "liked" an internet post that critizied a Thai business' customer service as a violation of the Computer Act?

7 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

It's almost like the saw it got pages and pages of replies the last times they did the story  so they put it on again. 

The last time this same story was posted on AN, it got 32 pages of posts;

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, AlexRich said:

It’s true that some people abuse the Trustpilot system but taking someone to Court defeats the purpose. They might save face but they also garner much wider publicity worldwide … as a place to avoid. 

Then you have to have brains to understand that, but that is what is sometimes lacking here.

Brainless my father used to say.

Edited by Peterphuket
additional supplement
  • Haha 1

Reading reviews shouldn't be a challenge, as more than enough across different platforms.  Many reviewer provide photos to back their review, especially if negative.  Only take minimal time to sort through them.

Due diligence saves a lot of headache.  If a vendor has limited or no reviews simply avoid, unless someone you personally know & trust recommended.   

I've rarely been disappointed, and usually impressed, as I tend to read the latest mid to low level reviews.   Don't need to read the "OMG'" reviews.

Bookng.com is good, as have to be a verified customer.

Gmap (my 'go to') is good, as plenty of photos from visitors, along w/streetview, and you can judge the reviewers, by how many reviews they've done.   Even cross reference, to see if you and reviewer have the same mindset, if been to same places you've visited.

Takes a little time, but you won't be disappointed with your choice.  Hotels, never book more than one night, if you book ahead at all.   We rarely do, but self drive, so options abound, if we didn't like the room when peeking, "before paying".

It really isn't rocket science.  Don't forget to make your own review, w/photos if needed, and real info.  ex: don't just state pet friendly, let people know how much the pet charge is, if there is one.

Edited by KhunLA

3 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

It's almost like they saw it got pages and pages of replies the last times they did the story  so they put it on again. 

It seems it is happening quite a lot now on AN, so much I'm beginning to doubt my own memory, can I sue AN for that? Do you always get that feeling of Deja Vu, do you always get that feeling of Deja Vu, do you always yet that feeling of Deja Vu.  

• Haha 2

If you write any honest review of a place and do not attack the character of the people then its usually ok. But even then, one would think that it  all would have blown over. Sounds like the guy had  very a very personal drunk run in with the manager on the spot. Or maybe was trying to impress his young Thai GF?

3 hours ago, RobU said:

Surely this is rehashing of old news. Exactly the same story was published last year. The American in question in that article had a police arrest warrant out in his home county for firing a handgun at a bar he had been ejected from for his abusive manner. 

But here we all are (me included) commenting on it, which is just what the website/forum needs to boost its SEO and to keep advertisers happy and coming back!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1