American expat escapes Thai jail time for scathing hotel review

snoop1130

49 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Yes. This is "news" from 2020. I believe that the hotel received a lot of negative publicity for their over-reaction and (IIRC) has since changed name.

Having said that, the guy who posted the bad review was (IMO) quite a dick. He brought a bottle of gin(?) from the 7/11 and expected to drink it in the hotel restaurant (not in his room) - then he was upset when the management challenged him and asked for a corkage fee.

If this was only over a corkage fee, which I assume is a fairly common fee in many countries, then yeah my review is 1 star dick.

• Like 1

He sounds like a five-star dick if he attempted to bring his own booze and not pay any corkage in the restaurant.

Some places charge you corkage for the total value of the bottle, not just a 200 baht opening charge.

He must have posted under his own name for all to see, for them to trace him. So, not only was he being malicious in his reviews (posting multiple under different names) he was also challenging them to take him on.

I, as a former hotelier, have posted a few negative reviews on trip advisor, but not nasty or untrue ones.

I usually give the benefit of the doubt if it's borderline. People shouldn't trash other peoples businesses just for vindictiveness, which is what we seem to be seeing in this instance.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

Surely this is rehashing of old news. Exactly the same story was published last year. The American in question in that article had a police arrest warrant out in his home county for firing a handgun at a bar he had been ejected from for his abusive manner. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, RobU said:

Surely this is rehashing of old news. Exactly the same story was published last year. The American in question in that article had a police arrest warrant out in his home county for firing a handgun at a bar he had been ejected from for his abusive manner. 

Really?

If true, it about sums up what we are dealing with here.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

He sounds like a five-star dick if he attempted to bring his own booze and not pay any corkage in the restaurant.

Some places charge you corkage for the total value of the bottle, not just a 200 baht opening charge.

He must have posted under his own name for all to see, for them to trace him. So, not only was he being malicious in his reviews (posting multiple under different names) he was also challenging them to take him on.

I, as a former hotelier, have posted a few negative reviews on trip advisor, but not nasty or untrue ones.

I usually give the benefit of the doubt if it's borderline. People shouldn't trash other peoples businesses just for vindictiveness, which is what we seem to be seeing in this instance.

This story is nearly one year old and has already been discussed in this forum. The Thaiger is dredging up old news and publishing it as new. The man in question also had an arrest warrant in place in his home county USA for firing a weapon at a bar he had been ejected from for unruly behaviour

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1