Quickest way to get to know a city

Dolf

Condo - cafe - condo - lunch - condo - cafe - condo - afternoon snack - condo - dinner

With guesthouses that do monthly rentals it should be easy to get a room inspection but not sure with proper condos.

I worked out a nice loop to do in Chiang Mai. Then be off to Chiang Rai. I think it would be a good day out. See different parts of a city and different room types. Then at the end of the day you have a better overall view of a city.

The first 6 cities I want to do are Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Nong Khai, Udon Thani, Khon Kaen and Korat. Any place that offers monthly rentals can be guesthouse, hotel or condo.

Any suggestions please add. Budget is 5,000 to 15,000.

I would also like to add in Hua Hin, Luang Prabang and Siem Reap later on. I'm exciting about doing this. Should be great way to see each city from different angles.

Edited by Dolf

1 hour ago, Dolf said:

Any place that offers monthly rentals can be guesthouse, hotel or condo.

Any suggestions please add. Budget is 5,000 to 15,000.

Is that the budget for a day or a month or what?

What do you expect for that money? 

2 hours ago, Dolf said:

I'm thinking of doing condo tours in every major city. Use the app drivers  and visit 5 condos in different locations plus check out the cafe and restaurant scene in each location. Talk to people in each location. In one day you have a good idea what a city is like.

When you settle on a favorite location, rent something and live there for a year. If you still like it after that m buy something there, if you don't try your second choice.

Something I wish I had done before I build.  

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Chiang Rai is smaller and maybe more intimate than Chiang Mai, which is just a big city. Both are too big for me long term. OK for a day or two.

What places do you like?

7 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Chiang Rai is smaller and maybe more intimate than Chiang Mai, which is just a big city. Both are too big for me long term. OK for a day or two.

Looking at condos in CR and thinking that is how most people live would totally miss the way most people in chiang rai live....Until a few years ago there was ONE condo in all of Chiang Rai that I was aware of...now there are several new ones but part of CR living that makes it special  is having a house on a piece of land with a yard and  usually out in the rice paddies and small villages around CR city center.

2 minutes ago, pomchop said:

Looking at condos in CR and thinking that is how most people live would totally miss the way most people in chiang rai live....Until a few years ago there was ONE condo in all of Chiang Rai that I was aware of...now there are several new ones but part of CR living that makes it special  is having a house on a piece of land with a yard and  usually out in the rice paddies and small villages around CR city center.

The countryside is very nice. I was going to visit Chiang Kham, Chiang Khong and Chiang Saen. Get all the Chiangs done.

Just now, FritsSikkink said:

Seeing a couple of condo's won't help you much to know more about the city too.

I think it does if you spend time in the area. See about restaurants and cafes. I can usually tell within 1 hour if I like an area. 

28 minutes ago, Dolf said:

What places do you like?

Cannot answer for you as I do not know what you like. I think I am OK where I am but it is a bit quiet. Because it is quiet we don't want too many people making it noisy. There is only one condo building here that I know of. 

To paraphrase:

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Please stay away from Chiang Rai, there are enough idiots here already.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Dolf said:

Condo - cafe - condo - lunch - condo - cafe - condo - afternoon snack - condo - dinner

With guesthouses that do monthly rentals it should be easy to get a room inspection but not sure with proper condos.

I worked out a nice loop to do in Chiang Mai. Then be off to Chiang Rai. I think it would be a good day out. See different parts of a city and different room types. Then at the end of the day you have a better overall view of a city.

Reads a bit like a tourist adventure, though a good start.  A month at each city is a good time period, enough to see what's there, during the week, day & night, and weekends, day & nightly activities.

Before buying in, if your intent, you do really need to live there, renting, at least 1 full year   To experience the high heat & humidity, low overnight temps, if any, along with horrendous months long of air pollution and rainy season.

Happy Travels

Personally myself,  wouldn't consider any location North of Hua Hin, or even Chumphon.   Seems you want to be in a metro  area, which doesn't leave many options on the Southern half of Thailand:

Surat Thani

Nakhon Si Thammasat

Hat Yai

Yala

That 4-6 months of nasty air pollution would get very old, very fast, and not exactly healthy for you.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That 4-6 months of nasty air pollution would get very old, very fast, and not exactly healthy for you.

It is only 1-2 months in CR, you are exaggerating.

Nothing that a couple of air purifiers can't fix. Two years ago, I didn't even need to switch them on.

Mid Feb to mid April is the bad air in my experience. The problem with the south is much of the food is bad. Don't like southern food. Phuket has diverse food but it's Phuket and the Russians have taken over.

18 hours ago, Dolf said:

I'm thinking of doing condo tours in every major city. Use the app drivers  and visit 5 condos in different locations plus check out the cafe and restaurant scene in each location. Talk to people in each location. In one day you have a good idea what a city is like.

Best way to get to know a city is to cycle or walk around it

19 hours ago, Dolf said:

There is only one major city in Thailand - Bangkok

Where do you think the other 4 are?

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It is only 1-2 months in CR, you are exaggerating.

Nothing that a couple of air purifiers can't fix. Two years ago, I didn't even need to switch them on.

PM2.5 monitoring sites would definitely disagree with you.  

Do you think this just started today, or will clear up tomorrow ... :coffee1:

image.png.a3d01da1046e6b1fa958a4fd4367e4d6.png

Edited by KhunLA

Just now, KhunLA said:

PM2.5 monitoring sites would definitely disagree with you.  

I have my own monitor in the condo. I switch the purifiers on when the PM 2.5 hits 100.

I have seen readings of 500. IME as soon as the rains start, the air clears. 6 months is BS.

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I have my own monitor in the condo. I switch the purifiers on when the PM 2.5 hits 100.

I have seen readings of 500. IME as soon as the rains start, the air clears. 6 months is BS.

I hope you mean AQI hits 100, as PM2.5 should be single digits.   So you are saying, you don't venture outside much during smog season ?

I turn mine on when AQI is above 50, or PM2.5 is in double digit territory.  

image.png.93f31ae3fdd0eed1385c53163f0f07a1.pngimage.png.6680037d015450ab8f5d38da7b5656bb.png