Thai Embassy in New Zealand increases visa fee 600%

Who is coming up with these numbers 8 billion Chinese tourists coming to Thailand 🇹🇭 👀 

There will be no hotels or accommodation available for other  tourists to stay 

Plus the airports will be over welmed 😱 

54 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

bageeeeezzzzz... who else but ruskies and chinese and indians do they want here?

Funny sidenote - I always that the word "Russkies" was an ethnic slur created by Americans, but in fact that's what Russians call each other!

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

Did I miss something???

What's the current price

What's the percentage of the increase 

yes, you missed the headline: "Thai Embassy in New Zealand increases visa fee 600%"

You also missed: The current price is $300. And here's the math: Current price ($300) reflects  600%  of the old  price (six times the original amount) so you divide it by 6 and the answer is the original cost of $50. Be careful how you phrase this. The new cost is 600% of the old. But the percent of the increase amount (your third question) which is $550 on top of the old price of $50, there the math gets weird - the increase amount of $550 is 1100% of the original price $50. ($50 being 100%)  And if you say that the increase amount is 600% of the original price, in other words it went up BY 600%, then it's $50 PLUS $300 = $350. This is why there is a difference when you say something is 5 times more than, or five times as much. People mess that up all the time. 

Edited by Jonathan Swift
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pouatchee said:

8 billion? thats more than the world population.

these numbers from the TaT?

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand anticipates welcoming 8 million Chinese travellers

Not sure where your getting 8 billion from but even 8 million is 21,857 per day, every day.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

So why will this not apply to ALL countries?

And what has the exchange rate got to do with it, quote the price in THB and any moron  potential visitor can work that out in his own currency.

should rename the source Thaigerlfriend, maybe more believable

• Thumbs Up 1

I hear all the talk about the visa fees not being increased for a while, and that they normally have a big jump when they do decide to increase them. 

OK so what difference have they made to their immigration/tourism etc to warrant such a leap?  

Is it now 600% easier to get through immigration (airport)?  Are the tourist attractions 600%,better? 

Bang for the buck doesn't really add up. 

I agree what another post says.  Come here for 30 days under visa exempt. Apply for an extension if required.  And if you want to stay longer.... Do a border run. 

I think this may just be the start...  Other visas may get hit with a price hike soon. 

It may no longer be the land of smiles for us retirees. 

I'm thinking Robbie Williams... 

Good Morning Vietnam has a nice ring to it. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nickcage49 said:

Well that will really encourage people to come to Thailand. How to kill tourism, by the land of fake smiles.

Sadly, despite the complaints, it will make no difference. People will just moan and pay up.

• Haha 1

Not to be racist, but my "sample" of New Zealanders I've met hasn't been exactly great. Some weirdo with Tourette who kept swearing at us, some angry white boy and his Maori friend who tried to fight me for no reason (we talked to the same girl or something), others who have hurled racist remarks at me once they've learned my nationality, and there's always the NZ rugby team who used to terrorize Roppongi bars every time they were in town. I have yet to meet a decent New Zealander. I'm sure they exist, but the ones I've met were rude and/or violent. So....anything that reduces their numbers here is welcome. Next please do Russian and Chinese. Indians can stay- they might be annoying but they're not violent and they don't push prices upwards, coexist lol.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Not sure where your getting 8 billion from but even 8 million is 21,857 per day, every day.

look who i quoted... you will find the answer...  ; )

and bear note... the translation came from the notorious petch pailin... god she  su.. ks

Edited by Pouatchee

1 hour ago, Nickcage49 said:

Well that will really encourage people to come to Thailand. How to kill tourism, by the land of fake smiles.

You say that as if less tourists is a bad thing... the sad reality is that for us - expats - the more tourists, the worse it gets. Higher prices, more competition for everything, more crowded, etc. I love the low season for a reason...

5 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I personally like to have a beer or 2, but know my limit.  Have a great time and leave if I think it could go pear shaped. 

I'm more than willing to change my opinion, lol. Thanks for reaffirming you guys (decent kiwis) exist! 🙂

5 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Maybe these visa increases will keep the riff raff away? 

Hope so! Come to think of it, it might be a good idea across all nationalities... not that it really matters as they can still get in visa exempt anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Add another country to the list of folks that won't be coming to Thailand.

Pretty soon it will be only Russia, China, and North Korea in the LOS's

What a great country to retire in.. 

Edited by Gknrd

I agree its a test country.  Probably even a 50% drop wont he much.  Maybe a bit of a jab at the price of a thai visa to NZ.   Maybe NZ people do cause more ruckus than average.  This free to ruzzians pisses me off. 

• Agree 2

To me this looks like a retaliation about the visa fees Thais might have to pay to visit New Zealand. I tried to work it out and it looks like 7000 to 9000 THB. I that's the case there would be nothing to complain about.