Thai Embassy in New Zealand increases visa fee 600%

17 hours ago, Kiwifarang said:

That's because the single entry for 3 months for $65 is a maximum of 3 months, whereas the multiple entry maximum of 6 months is $325 for 12 months if you leave 2 days before it expires and return the day before it expires because multiple entry resets each time you leave and you get a further 6 months upon re-entry. So, look at it this way $65 divided by 3 is $21.66 x 12 = $260, so you could save if you got 4 labels, but for convenience they offer you one label and the opportunity to leave and return as many times as you want without buying a re-entry permit. It's multiple by the way, not double.

Yeah I don't think that is correct... The visa is valid for 6 months meaning you can only use it up until the expiry date. If you enter 1 day before the visa expires then you can get stamped in for 2 months (plus you can extend 1 month at immigration), so techinically you can get +/- 9 months usage out of it, but there is no resetting the validity date upon re-entry that I am aware of.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Because the cost of living in NZ is astronomical. 

Unless you own your own home expect to pay at least half your wage on rent... if you can find a rental. 

Price of food has skyrocketed due in part to having only 2 main companies controlling the majority of the supermarkets. 

Those with a job (middle income) are supporting the bludgers  who for generations have lived off the governments welfare pay outs.

Whereas corporate bosses pay their financial whizz kids to keep their tax liabilities low.  (To be expected). 

It's been that way in NZ for years.  The middle man works the hardest to make ends meet. And ends up paying the most in tax with F all relief from any government department. 

So yeah... I'm over NZ. 

Lovely place to visit. Just don't try to live there 

And the point being? Why would they pay $12,000 to come to Thailand when there's many other countries that they can go for 25 USD

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

You noticed! But disappointed that's all you have to say...

And I was disappointed you did not seem to notice any of the posts I made after the post you first responded to, why was that? 

What do you think it costs to maintain an embassy/consulate in New Zealand? Do you think this is some big money-maker for Thailand?

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

And I was disappointed you did not seem to notice any of the posts I made after the post you first responded to, why was that? 

What do you think it costs to maintain an embassy/consulate in New Zealand? Do you think this is some big money-maker for Thailand?

The visa/service revenue for Thai Embassies differs from the Thai Consulates.

The Thai Embassies remit the visa/service funds to Bangkok (to MFA/Govt.) while the Thai Consulates keep all visa fees to cover their costs for keeping office and pay staff etc, like a business.

Some consular posts are huge businesses (one perfect example is Thai Consulate-General in Penang, who can laugh all the way to the bank.

Thailand has one of the largest network of Embassies and Consulates around the world servicing Thais abroad and issuing visas to foreigners. Not sure how the "revenue split" is with the new e-visas. Could be a potential disaster for many of them, and a few had to close already, which impacts Thailand's service levels abroad. Could worsen with the e-visas.

I have no idea how much revenue RTE Wellington has though.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I'm sure the crown can afford it

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 4:11 PM, kingstonkid said:

SO ASEANNOW has joined the click bait world.  Can people not get a grop and report things properly in the headlines.

YOU LIED

ncreased visa fees by up to 600% expected at Thai Embassies and Consulates worldwide

Excellent. I will certainly cut my stay down of I can only do visa free entry only. I'm not paying a 600% increase and I will simply pocket the saving or spend 4 weeks Thailand 4 weeks phillapines 

16 hours ago, John Drake said:

Any follow up on this? Does this story have legs? Or is it just a New Zealand only thing?

Of course it’s not a New Zealand only thing. There is absolutely no reason why it would be. It was simply that the Thai embassy in New Zealand announced it first. New fees are coming soon to an embassy and consulate near you!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Poseidon said:

Excellent. I will certainly cut my stay down of I can only do visa free entry only. I'm not paying a 600% increase and I will simply pocket the saving or spend 4 weeks Thailand 4 weeks phillapines 

4 weeks phillapines .......WHERE ??............It's The Philippines !!!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, 747man said:

Probably next to NOTHING !!

From NZ's Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade:

"From January to July 2023, 46,925 New Zealanders entered Thailand. Extrapolated to a full 12 months, this will equate to around 80,000 visitors in 2023, down on the 112,680 who entered Thailand pre-COVID in 2019."

6 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

From NZ's Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade:

"From January to July 2023, 46,925 New Zealanders entered Thailand. Extrapolated to a full 12 months, this will equate to around 80,000 visitors in 2023, down on the 112,680 who entered Thailand pre-COVID in 2019."

Well I'm AMAZED by these numbers, But Then again it is AMAZING Thailand.....

8 minutes ago, 747man said:

Well I'm AMAZED by these numbers, But Then again it is AMAZING Thailand.....

I was just 'surprised' ... It's quite a percentage from a population just over 5m.

We're not in a high overseas tourist area, the only NZer I've met in Thailand since Covid was last year - at the NZ Embassy (a likely place!).

We've hosted various NZers over the years, mostly here on extended stopovers to or from UK/Europe; all were short stay visa exempt, there's no numbers I can't find any figures on how many actually visit on longer SETV or METV.

On 2/29/2024 at 1:44 AM, Masterton said:

Yeah I don't think that is correct... The visa is valid for 6 months meaning you can only use it up until the expiry date. If you enter 1 day before the visa expires then you can get stamped in for 2 months (plus you can extend 1 month at immigration), so technically you can get +/- 9 months usage out of it, but there is no resetting the validity date upon re-entry that I am aware of.

Yes, that's fully correct. 

So when you want to squeeze the max possible stay out of the METV, you should not apply too early for that Visa as it only stays valid for 6 months from date of issue.  And indeed when re-entering Thailand on the last day of the Visa validity you will get once again a 2 months Permission to stay which can be extended for an additional 30 days, so when timed right you can get almost 9 months of stay out of that Visa (with no need for Re-Entry Permits during the Visa validity period).

On 3/1/2024 at 11:21 AM, 747man said:
On 3/1/2024 at 11:13 AM, gomangosteen said:

Expand  

Well I'm AMAZED by these numbers, But Then again it is AMAZING Thailand

Well I'm amazed by the word Extrapolated!  

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

This source doesn't match what Thai Consulate in New Zealand says. Seems to be converting NZ$ to $US

Screenshot_20240303_151545_Drive.jpg

Yes, USD as the source is an American visa info site.