Thai Embassy in New Zealand increases visa fee 600%

15 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I thought NZ had an agreement with Thailand so no visa was required for up to 90 days.

That was like 30 years ago!! Since been rescinded due to too many Thai hookers posing as tourists then working illegally in New Zealand.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Kiwifarang said:

Well if Srettha's plan comes to fruition for a Schengen style S.E. Asia Visa with Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia then the cost may well rise to the New Zealand rate for Vietnam too.

Unless border controls are eliminated, I don't like the sound of this visa at all. Leave sovereign countries alone to do their own thing with respect to visas. Cambodia is great in that it's still easy to stay long term with no money needed in the bank, no complicated visa applications, just $300 + $70 if you want your passport back the same day or next day (express processing). This could be ruined by a single visa system.

The last thing the region needs is some sort of 90 day visa that would cover all countries in the region (Thus far too short to see everything), which would force you out of the entire region for 90 days before being allowed to return (90 days out of 180 days rule). 

Sretta should focus on Thailand, or things like getting the railway link between Thailand and Cambodia up and running, seeing the line was completed 5 years ago but still no cross border services. 

Implementing one stop border crossings, where you stamp out of one country and into the next in the same building with officials working side by side would be another improvement, but the single visa scheme is NOT something that should be explored.

14 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

I think part of the problem is that Thailand doesn't adjust visa fees for inflation for many years and then does it in big jumps.  Fees charged by immigration got their last major uplift in 1999.  So there could a big increase planned there too.  These new fees for tourist visas do seem a steep though with all their talk of encouraging more long stay tourists.

Western countries increase visa fees every year. The US B1/B2 has gone up about 30% in two years but to be fair is still very good value.  6,660 baht for a multi-entry 10 year visa to a huge, developed country with climates ranging from the tropics to the Arctic and limitless tourist attractions is a lot less than Thailand is charging in NZ for a 6 month visa.  You are also allowed to do business on the US visa which is not the case with these Thai tourist visas.  I think they need to look value for money and competitiveness.

You can do certain types of business in Thailand on tourist visas and now Japanese nationals are officially allowed to do business without a visa as well. Depends on the nature of what you're intending on doing.

It was always possible, certainly in practice, to attend a workshop or conference on a visa exempt stamp when coming to Thailand. 

What you can't do is anything that constitutes "work", but meetings, attending conferences, site visits, signing documents, no problem.

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

I just checked to see if the fees increased for Canadians. I don't recall what they were before, but the "e-visa" and the Consulate websites are very cryptic about the fees. Took some digging to finally find the Consulate (in Canada) "fees".

And then noticed the difference they charge for a Single Entry and a Double Entry Tourist Visa. $65 for a Single Entry (3 month validity) but $325 for a Double Entry (6 month validity) !!
FIVE times more !!
Date effective - last October so just a 4 months ago.

And they want to increase tourism ?!?!?

fees.jpg.faa0d106a39c6c13ed4e3b7bfdeee9e7.jpg

I've never heard of anyone getting this 3 year non-B visa. Do you know how to get one? What documents are needed? 

Even if each stay is limited to 90 days, the ability to come and go for 3 years + 90 days would be suitable for business travelers who have a Thai family, spend most of their time in Thailand but also need to travel to Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Vietnam, China, Japan or anywhere else at least once every 3 months. That would apply to my circumstances. I've held multiple consecutive 1 year non-Bs in the past, mostly obtained from honorary consulates in Australia, which, apparently are no longer in existence. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Gilligan In Drag said:

They're trying to keep Stickman out of the country.

He's a bit of a cheap Charlie. Decided not to come back more often, due to "high flight prices". Thus he's only been back once since the end of Covid restrictions.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

People with no money should stay home. 

With respect may I ask "why"?

Come to Cambodia, no need to have a bank account or show money in a Cambodian bank. As long as you have the cash for a visa and living expenses, then no problem.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

With respect may I ask "why"?

Sure

2 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Come to Cambodia, no need to have a bank account or show money in a Cambodian bank. As long as you have the cash for a visa and living expenses, then no problem.

So? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, khunpin said:

Smart move. 

It will definitely help to boost the tourism ... 555

One step forward (Chinese, Russians, and Kazakhs visa-free), but two steps back (GREED!)... Guess, soon all visa fees will be up by 600%... LODSIE - Land of dollar signs in eyes...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, mstevens said:

That was abolished 24 years ago, after New Zealand changed the rules on Thais who until that point could visit New Zealand visa free for 90 days. When NZ changed the rules on Thai passport holders, Thailand did the same to NZ passport holders.

Well, Thailand simply went from granting 90 day visa waivers down to 30 days (for NZ citizens). New Zealand by contrast, introduced a visa requirement for Thais. 

26 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

He's a bit of a cheap Charlie. Decided not to come back more often, due to "high flight prices". Thus he's only been back once since the end of Covid restrictions.

Read somewhere that he lives with his Mum and Dad as he can't afford to rent his own place. What a life!

13 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

So? It's a better place for expats to live because it's easy. Thailand makes it more difficult with each passing year and with Cambodia developing fast, the advantages that Thailand once had are fast disappearing.

It was easier when I was working, but since I retired five or six years ago, living in Thailand does not really seem to be getting any more difficult to me. A day a year to apply for a visa and a half-day to pick it up. 

I don't know what advantages Cambodia might have over Thailand that would interest me. 

Kazaks are very friendly guys, I studied with many of them in China years ago. They apparently seems rude but it's just their traditional warrior culture. If you're lucky enough to be friend with them they'll throw themselves in the fire to protect you.

During my life I only met two kiwis. Both were gay. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

Well, Thailand simply went from granting 90 day visa waivers down to 30 days (for NZ citizens). New Zealand by contrast, introduced a visa requirement for Thais. 

It could also be that people were taking advantage. Tourism is people with a little dough coming for a couple weeks and going home. 

As Thais become more affluent, expats that spend little money are less desirable, and immigration/tourist programs should be designed such that they primarily benefit the citizens of the host county, not the people visiting. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, McTavish said:

Kiwi's can enter Visa-Exempt for 30 days. 

Seems like the Thai embassy in Wellington is simply moving to online Visa's and jacked fees to pay the webmaster, among others.😎

Most visa fees and conditions between countries are reciprocal. So recent Thai increases are probably a tit-for-tat reaction. 🤔

48 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

Most expats living in Vientiane, Laos, live in palatial settings compared to the way people, including expats live in Thailand. Way bigger properties (hardly anyone lives in a condo), fancy cars, the works. Even if you think Vientiane is "boring", it's not nearly as boring as Khon Kaen or Udon Thani, which have absolutely nothing to do except shopping at Central Mall.

I must say that I've only been to Vientiane for visa purposes at the Thai consulate,  therefore my view of the place is not large. 

There is some nice eating places in Vientiane I must admit.  I did see quite a few foreigners there too and some big houses etc. 

One visit we were eating at a well known establishment and enjoying a cold beer Lao and I overheard a conversation at a neighbouring table. 

Initial thought was that they had to be UN workers.  Within 5 minutes my suspicions were confirmed. 

There was this pretentiousness or maybe arrogance in the way they were talking rather loudly.  About a new car or the new residence they had moved into. 

Was I shocked?  Not really.  Most UN staff I've met were a bit self entitled.  But there are those that really believe in the 'cause' and can be genuine people. 

For me Vientiane would be out.  Cambodia and Vietnam however look to be interesting prospects. 

Cambodia having a retirement programme is ahead of Vietnam because they don't. 

But tying it all together as has been mentioned.... You could just spend 3 months in each of:

Thailand/Laos/Cambodia /Vietnam 

Could be the life? 

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

It could also be that people were taking advantage. Tourism is people with a little dough coming for a couple weeks and going home. 

That's exactly what happened after Australia waived the visa requirement for Malaysians; many decided to work (illegally) rather than travel...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

18 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

bageeeeezzzzz... who else but ruskies and chinese and indians do they want here?

This was foreseeable, extending free entry visa's to their Asian brothers and other select countries would cause a drop in immigration revenue.

The short-fall has to be made up somewhere, seems they think the wealthy Caucasians can afford it

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, arick said:

Why would a kiwi want to come to an ugly country like Thailand when they have such a beautiful country and just stay at home.

Because the cost of living in NZ is astronomical. 

Unless you own your own home expect to pay at least half your wage on rent... if you can find a rental. 

Price of food has skyrocketed due in part to having only 2 main companies controlling the majority of the supermarkets. 

Those with a job (middle income) are supporting the bludgers  who for generations have lived off the governments welfare pay outs.

Whereas corporate bosses pay their financial whizz kids to keep their tax liabilities low.  (To be expected). 

It's been that way in NZ for years.  The middle man works the hardest to make ends meet. And ends up paying the most in tax with F all relief from any government department. 

So yeah... I'm over NZ. 

Lovely place to visit. Just don't try to live there 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

This forum would empty up very quickly if the 600% increase applied to everything to do with permissions of stay. Like... 800k increasing by 600% to 5.2 million in the bank. The agent visa fee going from 20k to 140k per year. Permanent residence from 200k to 1.4 milion. Elite visa from ....

I guess that would not have any effect on you.

Is 800k increased by 600% not 5.6 million?