PM Buys Oil Painting At Pattani Market For 30,000 Baht

webfact

image.jpeg

PRIME MINISTER SRETTHA Thavisin today (Feb. 27) purchased an oil painting entitled “Peace” for 30,000 baht in cash from an artist in Pattani.

At a community market in the capital district of the southern province, the prime minister viewed and obviously admired the oil painting on display and bought it for 30,000 baht in cash out of his pocket from Sulaiman Yamo.

The oil painting depicts a Muslim boy pulling a lever to draw up water from an artesian well for a Buddhist monk to drink with his cupped hands.

By Thai Newsroom Reporters

TOP: Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin, left, and the artist from whom he bought the oil painting entitled “Peace”, above, and full view of this painting. Photo: Matichon

Full story: THAI NEWSROOM 2024-02-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I don't know why this would be a news item, what's the big deal, a wealthy guy spends $850 on a painting and supports a local artist. So what? 

It's a publicity stunt to show the Thai people that he support Thai artist and what ever other self-servings 

messages he's hoping to get with this purchase...

6 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I don't know why this would be a news item, what's the big deal, a wealthy guy spends $850 on a painting and supports a local artist. So what? 

The new government seems to be making some headway with peace talks in the South. Appointing a civilian negotiator on the Thai side instead of a military man is seen as a positive.

The painting is entitled "Peace" and shows a young Buddhist and Muslim working together.

As mfd101 suggests, symbolism.

Still not sure how they'll square the "independence" circle?

ISOC's Road Checkpoints Removal Signals Strategic Peace Negotiations with BRN

ISOC's bold move to dismantle road checkpoints in Thailand's Deep South signifies a symbolic gesture towards peace talks with the BRN rebel group, fostering trust and reconciliation in a region long plagued by conflict.

https://bnnbreaking.com/politics/charting-a-new-course-for-peace-the-dismantling-of-checkpoints-in-thailands-restive-south

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The oil painting depicts a Muslim boy pulling a lever to draw up water from an artesian well for a Buddhist monk to drink with his cupped hands.

Now make a painting the other way round A Buddhist Monk pulling a lever to draw water for a Muslim Boy. Of course that would never happen a monk doing any work.... :coffee1:

• Thanks 1

Did he buy it or was it just a photoshoot for the camera 30,000 is a lot more than the average Thai earns in a month last time I was in Bangkok I was so dismayed with all the poor souls sleeping outside my hotel I purchased the contents of the local food cart and got the lady to hand the food out cost me 2,500 baht maybe he should take a walk around Bangkok at 2am in the morning and put his hand in his pocket when he witnesses people with there kids sleeping on the pavements !

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

It's a publicity stunt to show the Thai people that he support Thai artist and what ever other self-servings 

messages he's hoping to get with this purchase...

Well of course it is, everything this man does is a publicity stunt, everything this man does is for show, he's all talk and no action, and he has accomplished absolutely nothing so far as PM. So all we can hope for is a show, that's all he has, there's nothing in his bag of tricks.

He is the very definition of an empty suit.