Using a webcam on a PC for photos

jingjai9

I want to use a webcam on my PC to take a photo. However, the photos are not clear. Does anyone know how to improve the quality of photos using a webcam.
I have two webcams - a Microsoft webcam and General Webcam (that is all it says on the product's box).

Is there any software available to aid with the quality of PC webcams?

There are settings on the webcam application, but they do not really improve the quality. 

Is there a particular way to hold the webcam or an optimal distance?

I am trying to photograph documents like passports, driving licenses, etc. My own personal documents. 

I recommend using your phone and a software called "U Scanner". I works well, does a great job at cropping and de-scewing the image, correcting the exposure. It can save your image as a graphic or as PDF. And it is free.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, jingjai9 said:

I want to use a webcam on my PC to take a photo. However, the photos are not clear. Does anyone know how to improve the quality of photos using a webcam.
I have two webcams - a Microsoft webcam and General Webcam (that is all it says on the product's box).

Is there any software available to aid with the quality of PC webcams?

There are settings on the webcam application, but they do not really improve the quality. 

Is there a particular way to hold the webcam or an optimal distance?

I am trying to photograph documents like passports, driving licenses, etc. My own personal documents. 

Recommend using your mobiles camera. Much clearer and can more easily align documents. My camera automatically syncs to my computer but I use all Apple (iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air).

• Thumbs Up 1

A post with flaming comments to another member contravening our Community Standards and the replies have been removed:

• Please be polite and respectful to others
  • Do not flame, troll or stalk other members

Off topic posts about Google Lens on Android phones and the replies have been removed as this topic is about using webcam on my PC.

Edited by metisdead
  • Thanks 1

As another person already wrote, what you probably need is a scanner.

Of course, you can also use your smartphone, but to have good photographic archives of your documents, the scanner is best. Scanners are a good investment because they last a very long time. I still have a working Agfa scanner in France that I bought in 1997!

In Thailand, I still use a Canon LiDE 110 which must be well over 10 years old (yes, it also works under the latest version of Windows 11). This model is apparently no longer sold, but you can find much more recent similar models, like the Canon LiDE 300, for example, for less than 2000 baht in stores or online. I am convinced that this scanner will be of use to you for a very long time.

Otherwise, one can improve the quality of webcam images a little bit with editing software, but the result will generally remain quite mediocre because webcams do not have very good image definition (resolution in pixels), much lower than that of (smartphone) cameras and scanners.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just use your android mobile if it has a decent camera ....  buy a 20 baht clip on support extension that holds your camera still .... and take the photo.   I've used it for passport, documents, license etc ....

Even "good" webcams often have only 1080p (1080 pixel) resolution on the long side.

My fairly average Android phone has 4624p. And that is just good enough under ideal conditions. Camera holder, exact alignment. Good light. Paper/document lying plane.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A cheap camera "holder" is any plain chair/table/shelf. Camera placed so that lenses are just over the edge looking down.

Freehand will hardly give satisfying results.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1