Retirement extension completed in minutes - NO AGENT

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

In the past it didn't work but apparently if you bowled in they might let you go in anyway, maybe that happened to you

It has always worked, your post was after I already posted I used the appointment system last year. Your claim was then that it may have worked in the past, but not anymore.

Now you reverse your comments

The appointment system works perfect, you get an instant email confirmation, and a reminder email the day before the appointment. Nothing to do with bowling in

Edited by BenStark
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Oh yes there are, and quite a few have been the subject of a thread in the news forum already.

Using an agent without having the funds in the bank is definitely illegal.

Not illegal according to Immigration officers, and not illegal for the Head Boss at the IO who very knowingly signs off retirement extensions...

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Been here  25 years, never used an agent.  Renewed 'O' Visa Retirement yesterday, 20 minutes at the bank followed by 1 hour at Immigration.  Job done.  1,900 baht + a couple of hundred at the bank.  Why the heck should I waste money on an agent?  (Yes, I know it does depend on where your are.  This was Korat.)

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Why would someone who ever has used an agent, be required to continue using an agent forever?

Well, re-posting this, again, for you sir....

"

Re-posting this one here... Seems like you might need this knowledge as well.....  

"Well yes, in this land, situations are mostly related to money and territory.  

I am located in Phuket, and there are many Agents who offer a service of dealing with an IO on a customer behalf, for a fee. And this fee is shared between the Agent, and at a very high level at the IO, then further shared...

And strangely, some of the Agents are able to conduct their business directly with the local IO, while others go through a remote IO, such as Nakhon Sawan. Now why is that, I have no idea. Appears like Agents must be 'accredited' for the use of such a service at a given IO.

And those Agents who appear to not be able to be accredited locally here, are always able to find a remote IO that is willing to offer such a service to Agents.

But the consequence of getting a 'retirement extension' from a remote location, would mean that the IO doing a 90 day for example, would be required to do that 'free' work, while knowing very well that a non-local IO got a share of the money for the initial 'extension' work. Not happy with that.

So some Agents who deal with a non-local IO, for whatever reason, will offer a free service of obtaining all 90 day reports from the IO that was used to obtain the 'retirement visa'. This of course would entail having to send the passport again and again through mail to obtain the 90 day stamps.

Something that of course anyone would like to avoid. An IO can tell what process was originally used to obtain a service, through a quick glance at the passport. That is what they do for a living. A few seconds will do it...  

And to add to the complexity of this situation, once a foreigner has used an Agent, the IO will try as they can to keep this individual to keep on putting money in the system. Lots of money in there. Trying to do further 'retirement extensions' on your own, at the lower fee of course, will get you to be faced with all sorts of problems, being raised by the IO, to make the process as long and difficult as possible. With the aim of breaking you down and getting you back at an Agent's office, and paying the bigger fee. If one is intent on not paying for an Agent, make sure that your income taxes are in order in your country, make sure that your embassy will offer a service of confirming your income, and accept to be patient time and time again when you are told that "Oh, the for that you used is an out-dated one. Use this one, and come back some other day.....

I was initially forced to go see an Agent, after the onset of the Covid era, with airport closed here, borders of neighboring countries closed, so not being able to leave the country to extend my OA visa, and not being able to stay in the country, as my visa would soon expire. 2019, 2020.

When I explained that at the IO, I was told that there was nothing that they could do. The law was written this way.

Then I was told in a whisper, go see an Agent, they will fix it up for you.

And Agent, Oh yes."

3 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

Not illegal according to Immigration officers, and not illegal for the Head Boss at the IO who very knowingly signs off retirement extensions...

So this was fake news?

• Haha 2

Not Jomtien, but Chaiyphum yesterday.....extension based on marriage.......... six ******* hours.

Refused to accept statement from bank as the transaction, putting money in, didn't show up.

Back to the bank ....oh this happens all the time.......it can take hours to show up....what do we do?.....just show immigration your bank book......they'll accept that......WHAT!!!!

Back to immigration....no queuing system....no one knows what's happening or whose turn it is.......sit there like dummies.

Sorry closed for lunch now ...bye.

Back after lunch......found some queue tickets on a bench.....two different colours.....not in numerical order.....people arrive late and pick up a low number and go before people who have been waiting all morning.

Finally get to the desk and the guy was desperate to find something wrong......went through the financial statement like a forensic accountant....all good.

Computer systems goes down......nothing working.....finally get out of there at 1630........

Oh forgot to say......had all the forms filled in....got there....sorry we have new forms now....plus an extra three to fill in......completed them....sorry no good have to use blue ink now...please do again.

Edited by Will B Good

22 minutes ago, BenStark said:

My point is that many, and particular you, have claimed that appointments are not possible at jomtien, and you are required to queue up

If you look at Pattaya City Expats info there's only about 3 reports of the online booking system working and it's not conclusive it is working just that staff let you and them in. Lot's of people have tried the online system and were told to queue up

25 minutes ago, BenStark said:

It has always worked, your post was after I already posted I used the appointment system last year. Your claim was then that it may have worked in the past, but not anymore.

Now you reverse your comments

The appointment system works perfect, you get an instant email confirmation, and a reminder email the day before the appointment. Nothing to do with bowling in

This is an excerpt from Pattaya City Expats latest info, look and learn, but i doubt it.

"Although this system has been available for use for some time, we have not previously announced it because of several reports that when the person making the appointment arrived, they were told to get in line to get a queue number. Thus, to use it to make an appointment offered no benefit.

However, we now have 3 very recent reports regarding this service with 2 having positive results (retirees) and 1 having negative results (extension for Visa Exempt entry)"

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

This is an excerpt from Pattaya City Expats latest info, look and learn, but i doubt it.

"Although this system has been available for use for some time, we have not previously announced it because of several reports that when the person making the appointment arrived, they were told to get in line to get a queue number. Thus, to use it to make an appointment offered no benefit.

However, we now have 3 very recent reports regarding this service with 2 having positive results (retirees) and 1 having negative results (extension for Visa Exempt entry)"

This is not about Pattaya expats, it is my experience for years already.

You're grasping at straws to make your point, similar to when there is a thread about the usefulness of a yellow book

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

You have to visit the agents at least twice, once to drop off passport, then accompany them to the immigration to have your picture taken, and then again to pick up your passport.

Your argument is flawed Lou

Sent my passport from Bangkok to a Pattaya agent. Sent a photo of me by email.

Passport with visa was posted back to me.

I did not visit Pattaya, yet alone immigration.

Ben you are wrong and Lou is right.

I have used the same agent in Chiang Mai for seven years. I meet all of the financial requirements so no funny business. She picks up all the documents at a coffee house near my house. Later that day she calls and says be at immigration at some time the next day. I go at that time, meet up with her or her staff, get shown to a desk, take photo, and pick up my passport. This year was typical and I was in and out in less than ten minutes. One trip. No hassle. Well worth it.

So agents can do it faster? They put the stamps in your passport while you wait at their desk?

You mentioned agents in your OP and again throughout the thread.

The main reason some folk use agents to avoid the necessity of keeping 800k in a Thai bank. Also for some mobility issues. 

It's a personal choice and cost is 12,500b 

A thread with point form of what docs you provided for your extension would have been more useful than the old "agent" chestnut.  

Just now, kidneyw said:

Sent my passport from Bangkok to a Pattaya agent. Sent a photo of me by email.

Passport with visa was posted back to me.

I did not visit Pattaya, yet alone immigration.

Ben you are wrong and Lou is right.

When was the last time you applied for an extension, since you can't get a visa within Thailand, as you falsely claim.

There have been several reports on this forum over the past few months, from people who use an agent, that now they have to accompany the agent to the immigration office for a picture, and even Lou confirmed this

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

The main reason some folk use agents to avoid the necessity of keeping 800k in a Thai bank. 

It's a personal choice and cost is 12,500b 

And you should know that this procedure is illegal

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BenStark said:

of course I had prepared all my documents in advance, as they are stored on my PC, and just need some dates edited and printed out.

👍 Way to do it. I even include the Terms & Conditions and the Overstay Penalties. All's neatly typed.

in the meantime the officer checked the document for the extension, declared them correct and stapled them together, before handing them back to me.

SHOCK!!! This is what happens when your docs are complete and correct. WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT?

To those that use an agent my message is, keep wasting your money because you can't be bothered to do due diligence.

Stay with the rebellion, brotha.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Not Jomtien, but Chaiyphum yesterday.....extension based on marriage.......... six ******* hours.

Refused to accept statement from bank as the transaction, putting money in, didn't show up.

Back to the bank ....oh this happens all the time.......it can take hours to show up....what do we do?.....just show immigration your bank book......they'll accept that......WHAT!!!!

Back to immigration....no queuing system....no one knows what's happening or whose turn it is.......sit there like dummies.

Sorry closed for lunch now ...bye.

Back after lunch......found some queue tickets on a bench.....two different colours.....not in numerical order.....people arrive late and pick up a low number and go before people who have been waiting all morning.

Finally get to the desk and the guy was desperate to find something wrong......went through the financial statement like a forensic accountant....all good.

Computer systems goes down......nothing working.....finally get out of there at 1630........

But it wasn't 3 days!:smile:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Yeh - maybe he does - lets see where it goes and how he responds.

@bamnutsak  Looks like you were right - clearly the OP has an issue with other people using an agent.  I agree with that statement - 'why do some blokes have the need to attack and criticise what other people do'.  Me thinks there are far too many Expats in Thailand that have far too many bees in their bonnet.  That is why we mostly avoid Expat strangers in public, because you talk to them and only then do you find they are one the 'them' - and they are hard to get away from.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Not retirement extention but marriage extention at jomtien yesterday 28th Feb had all paperwork etc. ready (c/o wife) took approx 50 minutes including the waiting in line time, the place was heaving, so pleasanty surprised, don't think you can get an agent for marriage extentions, so next year (God willing) might look at the appointment angle as at 85 yrs old with balance problems lineing up is not so easy these days!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

@bamnutsak  Looks like you were right - clearly the OP has an issue with other people using an agent.  I agree with that statement - 'why do some blokes have the need to attack and criticise what other people do'.  Me thinks there are far too many Expats in Thailand that have far too many bees in their bonnet.  That is why we mostly avoid Expat strangers in public, because you talk to them and only then do you find they are one the 'them' - and they are hard to get away from.

The only one with an issue is you, maybe because your limited brain function, since in another thread you are also twisting my words and posting confused emoji's to my post

• Confused 5

To those that use an agent my message is, keep wasting your money because you can't be bothered to do due diligence.

IMHO the use of agents should be restricted to the truly difficult things in life, like renewing your passport from Thailand if you're a Brit.

Obviously an illegal agent, maybe you shouldn't brag about on the open forum

Oh, so his illegal because it took you 3 days using an agent and his didn't......Bwaaaaaah.....🤣

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

It is none of your business if people choose to use Agents, especially when it is to hold hands an NOT bypass any financial etc requirements!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, OJAS said:

IMHO the use of agents should be restricted to the truly difficult things in life, like renewing your passport from Thailand if you're a Brit.

I do all this admin' myself, including the wife's visas to the UK....and to be honest, the easiest task of all was getting a new UK passport????

Edited by Will B Good
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

As is yours, my passport is collected from my home and delivered back to my home with an extension in it.  I do have to have a photo taken though, you're right about that.  But, using the flawed logic of the OP, that "only takes minutes"!

So did you likewise use this agent to make a couple of extremely time-consuming trips on your behalf to a dilapidated office building located somewhere or other in deepest, darkest Bangkok when you last had to renew your British passport? IMHO the use of agents should be confined to the truly difficult things in life, like negotiating the highly burdensome procedures relating to the renewal of your passport from Thailand if you're a Brit.

Edited by OJAS

4 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

It is none of your business if people choose to use Agents, especially when it is to hold hands an NOT bypass any financial etc requirements!

Neither is it your business to criticize people who don't need holding hands

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

the easiest task of all was getting a new UK passport????

So presumably you live within a stone's throw of either of the VFS offices in Bangkok or Chiang Mai? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OJAS said:

I'm a Brit and I use my wife to go to BKK and renew my passport. She's done it twice for me in the last 17 years or so.