Retirement extension completed in minutes - NO AGENT

Let's face it, going to immigration is always a hit or miss proposition. I did retirement extensions 14 or 15 times and it never took me a few minutes. Get up at 6, take a taxi for forty minutes, stand outside the office in the queue for an hour, wait in the office for 3 or 4 hours, oops, lunch time. Come back after lunch, finally see the I/O. Twenty more minutes. Then another wait for an hour or more while the supervisor signs off on it. Then an hour taxi ride home in rush hour traffic.

That was my typical experience. And that was when it went smoothly.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

You mentioned agents in your OP and again throughout the thread.

The main reason some folk use agents to avoid the necessity of keeping 800k in a Thai bank. Also for some mobility issues. 

It's a personal choice and cost is 12,500b 

A thread with point form of what docs you provided for your extension would have been more useful than the old "agent" chestnut.  

Could you please give me the address of the agent you are quoting (for future Reference) i'm 85 ands it's getting increasingly difficult to go the personal route, i take it agents won't do marriage extentions on account you have to be present in person, is this correct? i would be using Jomtien I/O

2 hours ago, BenStark said:

So this was fake news?

Not fake news, but definitely a misleading use of a headline in an effort to buttress a weak position. Kind of like the title of this thread. 

From the article:

"The officers were allegedly involved in issuing visas to businessman Chaiyanat Kornchayanant and other Chinese nationals who were connected to "grey" businesses in Thailand."

"Chaiyanat and several of his associates are currently in custody on multiple charges, including narcotics trafficking, money laundering and involvement in organized transnational crime"

Jomtien wouldn't accept my income letter, despite it being legitimate according to Thai law. They happily directed me to use an agent to circumvent the need to keep 800k in a dead Thai bank account instead of back home making 5 percent interest. 

The agent has been quick and painless, so I've stuck to that method.  I think it's great that people jump through the hoops and follow the letter of the law. Sadly, I tried that approach and was rebuffed by a corrupt system.  

26 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Could you please give me the address of the agent you are quoting (for future Reference) i'm 85 ands it's getting increasingly difficult to go the personal route, i take it agents won't do marriage extentions on account you have to be present in person, is this correct? i would be using Jomtien I/O

If you are located on the Dark Side you might try <http://www.visakhaotalo.com/en/Home/Index> and talk to Thanita.

I have used them for a few years with no problems.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

The agent that I spoke with yesterday was Maneerat Soi 13/2 off Beach rd Pattaya. 

12,500b for extension (retirement)

4,000b for multi reentry permit (optional) 

Regards extensions marriage....there is no point.

Actually I'm amazed you still have the mobility to do your own extensions. 

I will be moving to agent as I slow up which certainly has occurred. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

The agent that I spoke with yesterday was Maneerat Soi 13/2 off Beach rd Pattaya. 

12,500b for extension (retirement)

4,000b for multi reentry permit (optional) 

Regards extensions marriage....there is no point.

Actually I'm amazed you still have the mobility to do your own extensions. 

I will be moving to agent as I slow up which certainly has occurred. 

How does one get around the 90-day report thing if you live nowhere near Patt's....?

2 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

A couple of weeks ago when I went to do a tourist visa extension at Jomtien I was standing around in the main building and it looked like I was waiting around in a geriatric ward. I'd say over 95% of the people there were of that age.

What I find annoying is why anyone over 50 is allowed to extend a tourist visa when they clearly all should be on retirement visas.

Sounds more as if the only geriatric in the building was you.

First of all, retirement extensions are also done in the same main building, as are a load of other things.

Did you ask everyone what they were there for and see their documents?

Secondly, did you know there are also tourists older than 50, and why would they be forced to have a retirement visa?

6 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

They should do a crackdown and make it anyone over 50 must be on a retirement visa if they want to stay for longer than 30 days, instead of gaming the system by using tourist visas and extensions,

And how long are you gaming the system with extensions on your tourist visa, while you are not a real tourist?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

How does one get around the 90-day report thing if you live nowhere near Patt's....?

The agent can do that also.

Time for this topic to close.

Has moved from appointments at Jomtien to debate about agents .