Non-O marriage can 400k be in foreign bank?

Hello finally getting married here after beating around the bush for a few years. I've seen some reports from late last year that in Sav I'll be able to get a Non 0 with my 400k being in a foreign bank. Is this still the standard in current landscape? If so is it only Sav that this is available or any other consulates like Penang,Vientenne,Nam etc?

I'm USA citizen and would prefer to keep my money in my home country bank rather then move it over here if possible. 

Thanks

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, what's your plan after obtraining the non O .

Are you asking about a single entry non O

I'd like to get the Non O where I dont have to leave for a year if possible. Just got the news a child is on the way and wont be able to do long stays with ins and outs to my home country. I'm on the final step of marriage registration with the appointment down at Amphur but going on my 30 day extension while thats going on. 

The process is really confusing to me but I'm under the impression I'll have to leave to get a Non-O at a diff country. I currently dont even own a Thai bank account I've got the funds there just in my USA account. Is it possible to get a year long Non-O without putting the 400k in a Thai bank for 60 days? I am correct in I can at least get a 90 day Non-0 without having those funds?

I was reading past threads and seen people mentioning they could get Non-Os with funds from overseas. Wasnt sure what category they meant. I know my end game is eventually going to be the 400k THB into Thai bank but I'm not in that position just yet.

Edited by lovesthespicy

only a non immigrant 'O''A visa will allow a 1 year stay without leaving Thailand, only available in home country

a single entry non immigrant 'O' visa will give a 90 day entry. a multi entry will be valid for 1 yaer but still only gives a 90 day entry each time you enter within that year, each entry can be extended for 60 days to visit Thai wife

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, steve187 said:

only a non immigrant 'O''A visa will allow a 1 year stay without leaving Thailand, only available in home country

a single entry non immigrant 'O' visa will give a 90 day entry. a multi entry will be valid for 1 yaer but still only gives a 90 day entry each time you enter within that year, each entry can be extended for 60 days to visit Thai wife

Ok thanks for clarifying very confusing. 

I take it the single entry has little requirements and the multi entry is going to require the 400k THB? Any idea if USA bank will cover or does it have to to be Thai?

32 minutes ago, lovesthespicy said:

I take it the single entry has little requirements and the multi entry is going to require the 400k THB? Any idea if USA bank will cover or does it have to to be Thai?

have a look on this thread look at page 5 onwards, someone asked on page 4 about non thai banks - 

3 hours ago, lovesthespicy said:

For the single entry non O foreign account will be sufficient. 

However.that visa provides a 90 day permission of stay.

You can obtain a 12 month extension however that requires 400k in Thai bank account and seasoned for 2 months.

You will receive better advice if you outline your plan moving forward.

Meaning how long you plan to live in Thailand year to year.

For extensions the funds do not need to remain in bank.

After extension is approved you can withdraw funds as you wish. 

Why is 400k an issue when you can use those funds.

Different for retirement. 

Re the Thai bank account you could consider an agent.

Which immigration office do you deal with.

Once married you could obtain 60 day extension to visit wife.

How old are you. 50+ ...?  Asking for other options. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

For the single entry non O foreign account will be sufficient. 

However.that visa provides a 90 day permission of stay.

You can obtain a 12 month extension however that requires 400k in Thai bank account and seasoned for 2 months.

You will receive better advice if you outline your plan moving forward.

Meaning how long you plan to live in Thailand year to year.

For extensions the funds do not need to remain in bank.

After extension is approved you can withdraw funds as you wish. 

Why is 400k an issue when you can use those funds.

Different for retirement. 

Re the Thai bank account you could consider an agent.

Which immigration office do you deal with.

Once married you could obtain 60 day extension to visit wife.

How old are you. 50+ ...?  Asking for other options. 

The plan for at least the coming years and potentially the long run is to raise the child in Thailand. I will still have some ties in the states that will require me to be home say 2months or so a year. Shorter term I plan to stay in Thailand through summer 2025 before visiting home though.

I wasnt aware I could spend the 400k. I assumed it was a 90 day check for some reason. That said  I'm not sure how the tax situation will work I dont want to get double taxed bringing money in(i know its likely not gonna be double taxed im just kinda wanting to see how it plays out). I still will likely prefer to have the 400k as a more locked in the bank nest egg to secure the visa every year then money I'll spend when i do get it here. I'd actually prefer to move the 400k next year if it made sense but maybe just moving it ASAP is the play.

I've actually never attempted to open a bank account here over all this time. I assumed it wouldnt be super difficult but I know the non-o or an agent would help if needed.

I'm soon to be 41. I was aware of the 60 day extension to visit wife. Maybe something like 90 day nonO into 60 day with a border run and a reentry would be ideal my current situation? I know I'll eventually want to lock in more of a permanent year long visa obv but if I can get 5 months a stay on a non-O with just having the money in my USA bank that would be ok for now.

Really appreciate the time and informative replies from ya over the years. You're for sure a treasure to this community Dr.Jack. 

6 hours ago, steve187 said:

I plan to follow Steve187 advice, my situation is similar to the OP.  I have a business in the UK which I plan to retire from in April 2025 and don't wish to transfer lump sums to Thailand for now.  The O-A if used correctly can allow you to stay unto 2yrs in Thailand.  I will open a Thai account this year in May and transfer 40,000thb a month from my Wise account for a year this giving me the required funds for immigration requirements for future extensions based on Marriage (400,000 thb or 40,000thb a month).

If you wish to keep your funds in your preferred country you could opt for the 40,000thb a month to your Thai bank which you can set up with the O-A visa.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lovesthespicy said:

I've actually never attempted to open a bank account here over all this time. I assumed it wouldnt be super difficult but I know the non-o or an agent would help if needed.

Actually from a Tourist Visa or visa exempt opening a Thai bank account is now difficult.

If you obtain a single entry non o outside of Thailand then the Non O would help.

However an agent for the bank account would be best option.

Here is a thread that outlines .... entering Thailand visa exempt then obtaining non O (marriage) and subsequent 12 moth extension. It also

Has links to similar threads.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1315828-visa-exempt-to-90-day-non-o-spouse-visa-conversion-in-thailand/ 

You really need to be in the states to obtain a non O-A so don't believe that is your best option.

To buy time you can apply for 30 day extension to visa exempt + a 60 day extension to visit wife.

Good luck. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, lovesthespicy said:

Hello finally getting married here after beating around the bush for a few years. I've seen some reports from late last year that in Sav I'll be able to get a Non 0 with my 400k being in a foreign bank. Is this still the standard in current landscape? If so is it only Sav that this is available or any other consulates like Penang,Vientenne,Nam etc?

I'm USA citizen and would prefer to keep my money in my home country bank rather then move it over here if possible. 

Thanks

I've renewed my annual marriage visa here 38 times. I assure you that the 400,000 baht must be in a Thai bank. Also you will need a bank statement on the same day as you go to Immigration.