Favourite Word In Thai

lampard10

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai south word I believe:

lahk tdahn (no idea of the spelling) --its a superlative meaning really or very. ie rohn lahk tdahn--really hot. In a semi-crass but not quite rude sort of way :o

**edit*** just found out from my husband, this is a word used on the islands; Samui, Phangan and Tao and not in use on the mainland.

sbk,

You will find that these words are most definately used on the mainland. My wife is from Nakhon Si Thammarat and it is used there. We have friends and family from Surat and Chumpon and they all use that word as well.

I have to go with ler-ee (meaning "at all" if put after not as in "not .... at all")

My teacher taught us to say it with oomph! so whenever I use the word it has a big ass EMPHASIS on the sentence. For example:

poo-ying phalang mai sew-oy LER-EE [Don't forget to say it with OOMPH!]

I often say "ฉลาด " (chà-làat = clever) if my g/f does something, er, clever. :D

I don't say it that often. :o

Heh .. I LOL'd

I’m always being told to stop being ขี้เกียจ kêe-gìat. I don’t know why, there’s nothing wrong with relaxing all day is there. :D

Hells no there isn't! :D

Edited by Wizzard of Oz

To me the word Sanook just sounds fun. However, I do love to say Chatujak, if thats how you spell it.

My favorte phase is Ma La Kut...Kut La Ma. I tell that to Soi dogs that seem to dislike farangs.

Edited by Options

If your ever in Isaan, keep your eye out for a pickup truck driving around with a load speaker on top the roof. The ol'boy on the speaker will be saying Ma La Kut....Kut la Ma along with other things. The back of pickup will be full of stary dogs or unwanted dogs. He is saying Dog for a bucket...bucket for a dog. They will also trade a basket for a dog.

I just say it to the dogs on the street to be funny, I don't think I could ever really trade one for a bucket myself. From my experience in the LOS, there are some Thai dogs out there, that just seem to dislike farangs for some reason or another.

I can only speak a little Thai, but do enjoy a good laugh.

Edited by Options

If your ever in Isaan, keep your eye out for a pickup truck driving around with a load speaker on top the roof. The ol'boy on the speaker will be saying Ma La Kut....Kut la Ma along with other things. The back of pickup will be full of stary dogs or unwanted dogs. He is saying Dog for a bucket...bucket for a dog. They will also trade a basket for a dog.

I just say it to the dogs on the street to be funny, I don't think I could ever really trade one for a bucket myself. From my experience in the LOS, there are some Thai dogs out there, that just seem to dislike farangs for some reason or another.

I can only speak a little Thai, but do enjoy a good laugh.

What's the pronunciation of Kut?

Meadish: thanks for unlocking the dubious mystery of that preposterous font idea. I'd have never guessed it, and after a complete waste of time trying to understand it even with your clues, could only conclude that the entire notion itself is seua beua maak-maak jang leuy...

<br />
If your ever in Isaan, keep your eye out for a pickup truck driving around with a load speaker on top the roof. The ol'boy on the speaker will be saying Ma La Kut....Kut la Ma along with other things. The back of pickup will be full of stary dogs or unwanted dogs. He is saying Dog for a bucket...bucket for a dog. They will also trade a basket for a dog.<br /><br />I just say it to the dogs on the street to be funny, I don't think I could ever really trade one for a bucket myself. From my experience in the LOS, there are some Thai dogs out there, that just seem to dislike farangs for some reason or another.<br /><br />I can only speak a little Thai, but do enjoy a good laugh.
<br /><br /><br />What's the pronunciation of Kut?<br />
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /

I hope I have not caused a problem. To me they are saying Kut or Koot. I really can not speak very much Thai. I am trying to learn, so I can talk more with my family when we go to Isaan. The Thai Dictionary says Thang or naahm is used for a pail, bucket or cistern. I'm not sure why it sounds like Kut or Koot to me. Maa La Koot...Koot La Maa something like that. Anyway.

Again I did not mean to post something misleading, or to get off topic.

But now I understand why, the dogs don't even understand my Thai.

Edited by Options

The sentence is หมาแลกคุ คุแลกหมา (maa lek ku ku lek maa) dog for a bucket, bucket for a dog

หมา dog

แลก exchange

คุ bucket (คุ is the issarn equivalent of ถัง) bucket

So if you have a bad dog you don't want you can exchange it for a bucket

Definately sirburr.jpg:D

Uh...what language would that be?

He means ซื่อบื้อ ... the font is a mockup font for writing Roman letters that look like Thai... If you try to read it as Roman letters and apply a liberal interpretation of phonetics, you'll see what it says.

one of my favorite words too.I also like a word from the northern dialect,but it's very rude and refers to a part of the body. :o