Full Page Replies - Why?

17 minutes ago, Dolf said:

The decline includes digital newspapers. People don't care anymore. They look at facebook or whatever.

Possibly, I don't know but believe it or not 'Facebook' is on the internet!

I didn't mention digital newspapers.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Dolf said:

So people are writing 300 words that nobody reads

Those that want to will, those that don't, won't - as I said, a pointless post.

Its called choice.  When I write a long post its because that's what I feel is necessary to get the point across or what is called for by way of an answer.  People are free to read it or not.

Quite often its possible to post a topic or write a reply in a succinct manner - sometimes its not.  Quite often when someone replies succinctly it leads to many further replies from people who have failed to understand.

If I have any complaint,  and its not really a complaint, it would be against those who jump in and out of threads making one line quips aimed at point scoring or insulting others. I consider people who do that to be socially inadequate.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, MangoKorat said:

Those that want to will, those that don't, won't - as I said, a pointless post.

Its called choice.  When I write a long post its because that's what I feel is necessary to get the point across or what is called for by way of an answer.  People are free to read it or not.

Quite often its possible to post a topic or write a reply in a succinct manner - sometimes its not.  Quite often when someone replies succinctly it leads to many further replies from people who have failed to understand.

If I have any complaint,  and its not really a complaint, it would be against those who jump in and out of threads making one line quips aimed at point scoring or insulting others. I consider people who do that to be socially inadequate.

I read 20% of that. The rest is just repetitive. That's the point of the topic.

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

You speak for others now? A post based on nothing at all, except your own limitations.

Well prove me wrong then.

1 minute ago, Dolf said:

I read 20% of that. The rest is just repetitive. That's the point of the topic.

Nope... thats your take away from the topic because by your own admission you don't even scratch the surface of what someone is written if its beyond your attention span. 

You are not the target of people comments, no one cares if you read the full paragraph or not... 

It is clearly others who will engage in intelligent discussion that are the intendent reader of comments that aren't dumbed down and simplified into a dumbed down one liner. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Agreed. I've been a journalist for over 40 years, mainly for most of the UK nationals. The industry has been in decline for much of that time. But when has there not been cutbacks, belt-tightening almost everywhere you look? Not only newspapers, but social services, NHS, policing, closing this and that. Most recently it's been high street banks closing and now even ATMs. We live in an age of constant cutbacks. Automated contact numbers for AirAsia, anyone?

The internet played a part in newspaper revenue decline and that is why some publications demanded a subscription to read on-line. It also resulted in a reduction in staff, with less reporters and no sub-editors so now we have more errors published. 24-hour tv news also played a major part, of course. There are now more choices for news. It is more readily available from more sources. At the same time, many feel they do not have the time to be properly informed as there are so many distractions that they consider more important to their life, and they are happy to live in their ignorance. It's called dumbing down, and there is evidence of that on a daily basis.

Twitter fed perfectly into that inability or unwillingness to look at anything in depth, and it bred or brought to the surface those who like to post one-liners on AN, for any number of reasons (no time, know nothing, posting pointless comments). As for those who don't like to read more than 50 words, don't. Up to you. But also know that others might be better informed than you. If you care. Many don't.

I used to really like reading the newspapers. Living up NE before the smart phone craze exploded, going into town to buy an english newspaper and going to have a cold beer while reading paper was a good day. Reading about things and learning is great. Unfortunately this is not the case with most posters here. Oh no, they will retell a story that took place 40 yrs ago in a far away place. 

I've got friends who when they tell a story it gets so, so long winded and full of useless details that don't interest anyone.

• Love It 1

39 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

image.png.70bef97c051b28f3627a60ecb1f4eba1.png

Old habits....

Hard to break.

image.png.c9b287c5befde28124f50d1dbe1a6bd2.png

American PSYCHO Association, that is....maybe?

You keep on marching to your own drummer. Cheers.

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Prove your own limitations ??...   You are already doing a good enough job of that. 

If you don't want to read a post of more than two lines, thats entirely up to you....  You'll find that you be unable to assimilate the information and have an intelligent discussion in many of the threads. 

Intelligent people don't want to read 300 words of rubbish. 

5 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Well prove me wrong then.

Keep digging your hole. It is  up to you to prove your claim. Which, of course, you can't. You just posted nonsense with no evidence at all to back it up.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

Keep digging your hole. It is  up to you to prove your claim. Which, of course, you can't. You just posted nonsense with no evidence at all to back it up.

How do you dig a hole on the internet? World's dumbest saying.

Why don't you do a poll and ask people. I bet you won't cause we both know most people won't read 100% of a 400 word post.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Dolf said:
4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

How do you dig a hole on the internet? World's dumbest saying.

You don't know what a metaphor is ???

2 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Why don't you do a poll and ask people. I bet you won't cause we both know most people won't read 100% of a 400 word post.

There a couple of quotes which you are adding a great deal of validity to... 

1) “it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt.”

2) "When you are dead you don't know you are dead, its only painful for others, they same apples for being stupid"

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

You don't know what a metaphor is ???

There a couple of quotes which you are adding a great deal of validity to... 

1) “it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt.”

2) "When you are dead you don't know you are dead, its only painful for others, they same apples for being stupid"

Dumb cliches on the internet. Nothing more tryhard. Only a fool would think most people read 100% of long posts.

If you think I'm wrong them put money on it and produce a poll.

16 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

You keep on marching to your own drummer. Cheers.

I can be terse , or expand a bit more if I feel it is necessary.

Double spacing is a courtesy to other people who don't like reading sentences packed like sardines.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Do an opinion poll. See what the results are.

What would an opinion poll do? I have no doubt that most would say they prefer short posts.

The point is that you have to option to read or not read. 

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Agree 1

Just now, MangoKorat said:

What would an opinion post do? I have no doubt that most would say they prefer short posts.

The point is that you have to option to read or not read. 

So you just admitted I'm right :cheesy:

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Dolf said:

Dumb cliches on the internet. Nothing more tryhard. Only a fool would think most people read 100% of long posts.

You can't generalise to that extent, everyone is different and every topic is different. Some topics are learning topics and some people read them to learn and understand. Not every post and every topic is a twenty word throw away. Here's a 1,300 word post that at least 50 people read and appreciated whilst  many thousand viewed it, try writing it in under that and relay the same information., 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Only a fool would be as a bothered about it as you seem to be.

13 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Why would I bother ?...  no one cares how much of a post you read, and we each read all of a post or part of a post as we see fit...  

Its not exactly something we get hung-up on...  We leave that pathetic stuff for the simple minds of those unable to engage in discussion with the adults. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

As a result of your posts on other topics, I had already formed an opinion as to your intelligence - you have just confirmed it.

And me likewise. I rate you lowly and you rate me lowly. Yet none of it matters.