Full Page Replies - Why?

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Only a fool would be as a bothered about it as you seem to be.

Why would I bother ?...  no one cares how much of a post you read, and we each read all of a post or part of a post as we see fit...  

Its not exactly something we get hung-up on...  We leave that pathetic stuff for the simple minds of those unable to engage in discussion with the adults. 

Adults admit when they are wrong.

10 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

What would an opinion poll do? I have no doubt that most would say they prefer short posts.

The point is that you have to option to read or not read. 

Agreed....  

And also, those who'd state they prefer 'short posts' are not exactly the height of critical and intellectual thought to make any such poll worthy of critical evaluation anyway....   

... its like asking a bunch of juveniles if they prefer bubble-gum or beef-wellington...  the results are not likely to be of of any intelligent use whatsoever. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

At the risk of upsetting you, more than 40 years ago I lived one summer in a far away place, Helsinki, and at nine each evening I'd walk to the Central Station to buy that day's London Times and take it back to my flat and spend a few hours informing and educating myself. Sadly, I don't remember having an accompanying beer though. Back then it took that long for the papers to arrive. A decade or so later I was able to receive the Daily Telegraph at my hotel breakfast table in Holland. And now.... Times change, and so do people's reading habits. Not for the better, I'd suggest.

The world moves faster now. I read 3 papers daily, 5 days a week and they weren't tabloids but broadsheets. It was a different world 25 years ago.

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

Clearly you are not one. Thank you for the confession.

Thanks Barry for such an amazing discussion. 

2 minutes ago, Dolf said:

The world moves faster now. I read 3 papers daily, 5 days a week and they weren't tabloids but broadsheets. It was a different world 25 years ago.

Indeed it was... there was far less scope of reaching a wider audience with an inanity of irrelevant comments about lengths of someone else's comment on a discussion forum... 

This post got me 4 pages and folks are still arguing about who's smarter. I'm sure the blowhards will continue with the zzz fest posts and that's just fine because in the end this is just entertainment.

• Haha 1

Just now, EVENKEEL said:

This post got me 4 pages and folks are still arguing about who's smarter. I'm sure the blowhards will continue with the zzz fest posts and that's just fine because in the end this is just entertainment.

I gave them a chance to prove themselves right. They declined. 

4 minutes ago, Dolf said:

You do know that The Times and Daily Telegraph are considered to be broadsheets, don't you, only published in tabloid size now as that makes them easier to read while travelling to work or while sitting somewhere with a coffee or beer. I guess not. Every post you make here reflects your ignorance. Why you persist in that is difficult to understand. I can only surmise that you believe you are smarter than you actually are. And that's my final comment to a troll.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed it was... there was far less scope of reaching a wider audience with an inanity of irrelevant comments about lengths of someone else's comment on a discussion forum... 

They used to be hidden from us before the internet and social media came along. They've always been there among us but we didn't know, which is disturbing. At least now we know who they are.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Dolf said:

And me likewise. I rate you lowly and you rate me lowly. Yet none of it matters. 

Some of us are given access to a good education, some are not.  Some of those that were excluded educate themselves in later life, some do not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You do know that The Times and Daily Telegraph are considered to be broadsheets, don't you, only published in tabloid size now as that makes them easier to read while travelling to work or while sitting somewhere with a coffee or beer. I guess not. Every post you make here reflects your ignorance. Why you persist in that is difficult to understand. I can only surmise that you believe you are smarter than you actually are. And that's my final comment to a troll.

Telegraph is a lightweight paper full of trash and its been a tabloid for many years. 

1 minute ago, MangoKorat said:

Some of us are given access to a good education, some are not.  Some of those that were excluded educate themselves in later life, some do not.

What's that got to do with the topic?

They used to be hidden from us before the internet and social media came along. They've always been there among us but we didn't know, which is disturbing. At least now we know who they are.

True, but doesn't knowing such people exist and are given a voice through the internet disappoint you? Disappoint you in terms of knowing how many there are?

1 minute ago, Dolf said:
3 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

What's that got to do with the topic?

Thats kind of the issue... much like the rest of the topic, you'd need to be educated up to a certain standard to grasp the points you keep failing to comprehend. 

2 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Clearly over your head.  I could explain but that would mean a long post.

So you are saying you received a poor education and therefore you read a lot now to catch up?

Edited by Dolf

6 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

True, but doesn't knowing such people exist and are given a voice through the internet disappoint you? Disappoint you in terms of knowing how many there are?

Some disappoint, some frighten as they are dangerous and are able to attract hundreds of thousands, millions even, of like-minded individuals. I cannot imagine what the world will be like in 20, 30, 40 years, if the human race survives.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

2 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

I think its important to know such people exist. 

Its important to know they are around us, its important to know they may be driving motorised vehicles which is also somewhat frightening. 

Its easy to slip into the assumption that all of those around us are not gallacticially idiotic - its good that we have such examples provided in this thread, so that we can learn to make allowances for others.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Dolf said:

So you are saying you received a poor education and therefore you read a lot know to catch up?

Yet another stupid comment, written for effect.

In the UK we have a saying:

When you're in a hole, stop digging!

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, MangoKorat said:

Yet another stupid comment, written for effect.

In the UK we have a saying:

When you're in a hole, stop digging!

How do you dig a hole on the internet champ?

• Sad 1

Some disappoint, some frighten as they are dangerous and are able able to attract hundreds of thousands, millions even, of like-minded individuals. I cannot imagine what the world will be like in 20, 30, 40 years, if the human race survives.

Hadn't thought about it that way but yes, you're correct - Trump for example.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Some disappoint, some frighten as they are dangerous and are able able to attract hundreds of thousands, millions even, of like-minded individuals. I cannot imagine what the world will be like in 20, 30, 40 years, if the human race survives.

Well, they will be a lot smarter than you. A 14yo in 2024 knows more than a 40yo in 1990.

1 minute ago, MangoKorat said:

Hadn't thought about it that way but yes, you're correct - Trump for example.

What's Trump got to do with the topic? 

11 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

You guys know who you are.

Hey guys, why do some of you think a full page reply is necessary? Are you so wrapped up in yourself that you imagine anyone cares to actually read all of it.

Then we have the guy who double spaces each sentence........

Why do people start topics that are utterly pointless?

PH

1 minute ago, Dolf said:

I more educated than you will ever be. You repeat cliches. That's bottom of the barrel stuff. 

Along with numerous other factors, your standard of socio-phonetics is confirms quite the opposite...      

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1