what are some stories about Russians trying to make $$?

Foroitalico

19 hours ago, johng said:

No I don't think so,  but believe what you want and if you believe that then get ready for WWIII.

Their supposed logic is: "If we let Putin take more land he will become a threat to NATO. However if we make Ukraine a part of NATO he will not become a threat to NATO...."

Which makes 0% sense.

Their real logic is: "Russia's sphere of influence is getting too big this last decade, let's drag this war out as long as possible, draining them economically and also use the war as a justification to impose massive sanctions blocking their economic recovery during and after".

Let's call a spade a spade.

I'm not necessarily against it as it seems Putin has become a dictator, purging many adversaries (like Xi). But playing influence games under the threat of nuclear war is pretty dumb.

• Sad 1

On 3/6/2024 at 12:53 PM, Hakuna Matata said:

Stop cannabis in Thailand!

Yes and move the nation backwards into reefer madness territory. We finally make a little bit of progress and people without knowledge of the matter want to give up that progress, and move it backwards again. I don't think so. 

Banning alcohol would be considered more logical, as it's infinitely more toxic and damaging to one's health. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Agree 1

On 3/6/2024 at 12:53 PM, Hakuna Matata said:

Stop cannabis in Thailand!

On 3/6/2024 at 12:59 PM, Lacessit said:

You'd actually have less violent crime if you stopped alcohol. Problem is making it stick, as Prohibition demonstrated.

You'd actually have less violent crime if you stopped all drugs.

Interesting story in the BP about a cannabis addict killing his father and blind sister because they would not give him money for his next joint.

Sorry, I cannot post a link but it is in the social and lifestyle section

• Confused 1

On 3/6/2024 at 8:11 AM, zzzzz said:

they brought the rights off the thais to rent the loungers on Karon beach
have taken over many motorcycle rentals in Kata, Karon, Patong ( often undercutting the thai rental operators 
have opened up their own travel agents to assist other Russians with visas|
have opened up language schools to help fellow russians with ed visas
weed shops everywhere

Does anyone really think the average Russian who has a routine type job back in Russia can afford to visit Thailand and stay several months, let alone purchase property? If so you are deluded.

6 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

You'd actually have less violent crime if you stopped all drugs.

Interesting story in the BP about a cannabis addict killing his father and blind sister because they would not give him money for his next joint.

I can recall a very senior policeman in Australia saying " We can't arrest our way out of the drug problem". IIRC he was referring to methamphetamine, which is a scourge in rural Australia.

How many billions has America spent fighting drugs? How far has it got the authorities there?

The evidence from places such as Portugal and Sweden indicates the crime statistics improve significantly when drugs are made legal. There's no money in it for the criminal element anymore.

I am in favor of legalizng all drugs, with one caveat. Commit a crime under the influence of any of them, get tried as if you were stone cold sober. No BS about mental impairment.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

For absolutely no other reason whatsoever?   That's absolutely astonishing,  A  full blown cannabis "addict"  driven to slaughtering  his own family, solely  due to the intensity of the psychosis suffered  during withdrawal ?     That's probably a "world first"  I have never heard a report of that nature, ever

if it was true it would probably occupy a more prominent position in a news paper  than the social and lifestyle section of the Bangkok Post.

Its no surprise that its readership would easily fall for such a ridiculous  attempt at anti cannabis reefer madness   rubbish

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I can recall a very senior policeman in Australia saying " We can't arrest our way out of the drug problem". IIRC he was referring to methamphetamine, which is a scourge in rural Australia.

How many billions has America spent fighting drugs? How far has it got the authorities there?

The evidence from places such as Portugal and Sweden indicates the crime statistics improve significantly when drugs are made legal. There's no money in it for the criminal element anymore.

I am in favor of legalizng all drugs, with one caveat. Commit a crime under the influence of any of them, get tried as if you were stone cold sober. No BS about mental impairment.

Totally agree, I'd even go as far as to say any crime committed under the influence could warrant a more severe punishment  like driving offences for example, 35 in a 30  is no big deal unless you blow 180

They should all be legalized, if only for the reason you gave above, but the health benefits to users as a result of access to pharmaceutical quality drugs would be a worthwhile bonus.   

Also removing the allure of "forbidden fruit" when coupled with some real education and not just the usual "just say no "  "drugs are bad" rubbish, and there would probably be a huge reduction in usage. In my opinion its the only way they will ever succeed, 

It needs to be instilled in young minds quite early though,  when peoples brains really are receptive to what they are told by adults, afterall that's why they ram religion down kids throats from just about  the moment  they are able to walk.   only a minute number of idiots start believing that stuff in adulthood and it seldom works out well when they do!  , but 99.9 % of the world's population take some religious guidance on board and moderate their behaviour positively as a result of being indoctrinated as a kid whether they realise it or not

• Confused 1

Most people will have no issue contributing to a thread like this , and it would make no difference if the word "russians"  was replaced with almost any other nationality British , are always fair game, whether their antics make the headlines or not,  along with all the english speaking nations,  And currently as we know the swedes are also in the firing  line based on the behaviour of a few of them,   Everybody joins in in pulling the subject  to pieces and stereotypes are rife,  only the very uber woke, unable to miss an opportunity to take offence, bother surfacing from the bottom to utter their predictable and rather boring accusations of "racism"  At which they expect us shrivel up and die like dracula when exposed to holy water or sunlight

This inclines me to believe that there is more than a little bit of racism and xenophobia in nearly everybody, its just getting increasingly difficult to find a legal target, and a good enough excuse  but when they do they don't hold back . IAs far as I can see it appears to be an inherent part of human nature, 

However change the word "russian"   to Pakistani ,  Moroccan , Indian , Gazan,  for example,  and the cry from the lefties would be deafening,  Many who enjoyed joining in  ranting about the Brits,  will quickly change their tune, suddenly  becoming virtue signalling supporters of  diversity , and begin to attack those making similar comments to those they themselves made on threads like this 

By the way I'm no great fan of Russians either!  I know they can't be all bad, but enough of them are. 

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Thanks 1

Rats are starting to flee. Best to check every foreigner's visa trying to depart Phuket. Maybe start at the chatchai checkpoint just before bridge. Also check at the ferry docks and domestic flight departures. Every business on the island should have surprise visits during business hours by non-Phuket police at least once a month for the next 2 or 3 months. 

Edited by Banana7

On 3/10/2024 at 3:38 PM, Photoguy21 said:

Does anyone really think the average Russian who has a routine type job back in Russia can afford to visit Thailand and stay several months, let alone purchase property? If so you are deluded.

There's guy on youtube called sanctioned Ivan that states an average workers' salary, non-skilled, is about USD$700 a month

I worked in the Thai film and TV commercial industry here for about 10 years and every casting calling for European is always inundated with Russians, Iranians 2nd.  While the local standard is b2000/day for extras, they will form a group and underbid as low as B1000/day, Usually 5am to 7 or 8pm.

Suspected to be as a result of a 'business disagreement', this afternoon a Russian man (apparently 42 years old) found murdered with his throat slashed in a house behind the Ban Chalong school in Chalong.   No doubt this will be getting wide coverage as the day progresses.

On 3/9/2024 at 4:55 AM, bigupandchill said:

are you suggesting they should have just let the russians invade unopposed?

Seems you have been lapping up the propaganda nonsense in the western media. Try watching some YouTube videos of professor John Mearsheimer. He is very knowledgable and honest. 

On 3/8/2024 at 6:22 PM, ChasingTheSun said:

Allot of the people you think are Russians are actually Ukranians. 

No difference other than a few vowels

On 3/10/2024 at 5:12 AM, Bday Prang said:

Most people will have no issue contributing to a thread like this , and it would make no difference if the word "russians"  was replaced with almost any other nationality British , are always fair game, whether their antics make the headlines or not,  along with all the english speaking nations,  And currently as we know the swedes are also in the firing  line based on the behaviour of a few of them,   Everybody joins in in pulling the subject  to pieces and stereotypes are rife,  only the very uber woke, unable to miss an opportunity to take offence, bother surfacing from the bottom to utter their predictable and rather boring accusations of "racism"  At which they expect us shrivel up and die like dracula when exposed to holy water or sunlight

This inclines me to believe that there is more than a little bit of racism and xenophobia in nearly everybody, its just getting increasingly difficult to find a legal target, and a good enough excuse  but when they do they don't hold back . IAs far as I can see it appears to be an inherent part of human nature, 

However change the word "russian"   to Pakistani ,  Moroccan , Indian , Gazan,  for example,  and the cry from the lefties would be deafening,  Many who enjoyed joining in  ranting about the Brits,  will quickly change their tune, suddenly  becoming virtue signalling supporters of  diversity , and begin to attack those making similar comments to those they themselves made on threads like this 

By the way I'm no great fan of Russians either!  I know they can't be all bad, but enough of them are. 

Well the Swiss had been hogging the limelight the last while so some diversion was needed.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bigupandchill said:

Can we agree Ukraine was a soverign state as defined by the UN at the time Putin invaded?

Sure. Can we also agree that what Ukraine had been carrying out for years in their eastern region was a purge of ethnic russian citizens, largely ignored by western countries and media? At the tune of 8,000 dead, mostly young people, in 5 years. I have a friend, Ukrainian at birth from that region when Ukraine was part of the USSR, later with Russian passport, repeatedly banned for years from visiting relatives or taking care of property there. Before the invasion.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, pegman said:

Well the Swiss had been hogging the limelight the last while so some diversion was needed.

Don't worry, the Kiwis have kindly taken the limelight now with two high quality tourists beating up a Phuket policeman who had tried to record their traffic violations.

On 3/5/2024 at 10:45 PM, bradiston said:

You could try asking in a Russian bar.

Russians don't go to bars, they drink at restaurants.

Same as most Asian countries, such as China and Korea, they don't have the culture of drinking without food, or "shouting rounds".

Edited by Captain Monday