Prompt pay for withholding tax rebate,not very prompt

Just like everything else in Thailand.

Very slow in taking your order and very slow in serving you but VERY FAST WHEN taking your money 💸......

14 hours ago, Soapy 100 said:

when the letter arrived there was no cashiers check, no bankers draft only at the bottom of the letter it stated “ PROMPT PAY”

Perhaps when you applied you asked for it to be refunded by prompt pay?

I only say that as this report from last month and the last post suggest different results for other people -

On 3/7/2024 at 1:09 AM, flyingtlger said:

Just like everything else in Thailand.

Very slow in taking your order and very slow in serving you but VERY FAST WHEN taking your money 💸......

Yea ,they take it that Fast you don't even get to see/hold it.💸

Sorry but i had to laugh at your story because i to have been given the complete runaround by the tax office since last August. 

I thought your situation was bad but mine seems slightly worse , last August i obtained the tax deduction certificates from all 3 of my banks   SCB , Krungsri and Bangkok bank. Then i went to the local tax office to reclaim the withholding tax for the year 2022 in total about 18,000 baht. They charged me 200 baht to fill out a rax return,  then said within 30 days i would receive a cheque. Then i received  a letter in Thai with no cheque about 30 days later.

On studying the letter best as i could i realised the amount just did not corrospond to the tax withholding certificates. 

In fact it seemed that one certificate amount for 4,800 has been missed out.

So back to the tax office,  they had made a mistake on my tax return and forgot to claim for the SCB withholding tax of 4,800.

They asked me for my tax online password,  which of course i didnt have as they had organised everything for me before when they charged me 200 for doing the tax return.  

Anyway,  they buggered around and said everything was now sorted out and i  would now get two cheques but had to wait another 30 to 45 days. 

Then after about 3 weeks i did receive another letter , but no cheques. I went back to the tax office , they said my cheques were at the post office , so off i go there and show the post officer the two letters and an SMS the tax office had sent me.

No cheques here he informed me after looking around the post office for 15 mins.

So , then i went back to the tax office again , they said wait another 30 days and see if they arrive. 

They of course never did arrive  , so back again to tax office , they asked me about 5 times if i am sure that i have not received the cheques. 

Then they said that they would cancil them and reorder two more , but i would need to wait up to 45 days.

After about 40 days , i did receive a letter,  but in it was only one cheque , so i was still waiting for the other cheque for 4,800.

So i thought well at least i got one so i might go and cash it.

Now the lady at the tax office had clearly explained to me that i cant put the cheques in one of my own bank accounts,  i must go to the Krungthai bank with my passport and they will give me cash for the cheque amount. 

So off i go to the Krungthai bank , no they would not accept it , saying i didn't have an account with them , then the cashier asked me ,  do i have a Thai bank account with another bank , yes i replied.  Then what are you doing here she inquired , you must pay it into your own bank , by then unfortunately my own bank had closed as it was already 4 pm

The next day i paid it into my own bank and they said it would take about a week to clear.

The other missing cheque for 4,800 of course has never arrived. So then in January 2024,  i went back again to claim back my withholding tax for the 2023 tax year , informing them at the same time that i am still missing one cheque for the 2022 year. 

Since then i got an SMS in March in Thai so again back to the tax office , now for the 8th time , this time they informed me they had made a mistake and forgot to complete a tax return for me for the 2023 year , saying in 45 days i should receive all the payments. 

After reading your story regarding Prompt Pay , i am sure now i am going to get the same nonsense as you got , if i have receive my payments .

Edited by Brick Top
Bad spelling
  • Haha 1

Thanks brick top for your reply,i know only to well in Thailand at times its like knocking your head up against a brick wall 

( no pun intended)I was so delighted in finally sorting my 2,500 B rebate out because we had arranged to have a little holiday heading for Kok chang for a couple of days, i booked Vietjet to Bangkok and as i was checking in the VERY attentive clerk scrutinized my passport and informed me that my name on my passport did not match my name on the booking form, I have always used my name Pat Mcxxx on emails bank accounts you name it always been pat,the VERY attentive clerk pointed out to me that my name on my passport was Patrick which it is if you want to cut a long story short 

it is,he then proceeded to tell me that my ticket was invalid and I could not board the flight until I bought another ticket,

and you’re guessed it the ticket was exactly what my tax rebate 2,500B then putting my bag though the camera they opened my bag and told me they were going to confiscate a jar of Sudocrem because it was 0.25 over, the cream was brand new it was for my daughters nearly due baby that’s very good for nappy rash etc.

So I gave Vietjet my tax rebate and also paid VAT which was a jar of Sudocrem,don’t forget to apply for a KTB account just in case this Prompt Pay is going to be the norm in the future 

On 3/6/2024 at 8:24 PM, Soapy 100 said:

So I got the withholding tax form from my bank saying i was entitled to 2,500 B rebate,then I took the form to the tax office 

who informed me the rebate would be a couple of weeks, ok no problem I’ve had rebates before by cheque that I could deposit 

in my savings account with the Bangkok bank i also remember  being given a ATM card from the KTB (although I don’t have a account with the KTB)when the letter arrived there was no cashiers check, no bankers draft only at the bottom of the letter it stated “ PROMPT PAY”

it was mostly in Thai so I thought the best bank to go too was the KTB as i had received tax rebates from this bank before,after waiting over 40 minutes to see a cashier who then informed me that as I don’t have an account with the KTB i would have to go to the Bangkok bank 

after waiting over 30 minutes i was informed that the Bangkok bank could not cash the PROMPT payment because i had opened my 

Bangkok bank account with my passport but the form said something about my Thai ID card and advised me to go back to the KTB 

so after waiting another 45 minutes the cashier advised to go back to the tax office to get clarification,they advised to go to a bank 

that was enough for one day so the next morning i decided to go to the Bangkok bank main office we’re i have always found them very helpful 

the cashier lady scrutinized the form,spent 15 minutes on the phone talking to the tax office,and then advised that they could not cash the 

PROMPT pay form and i must open an account with the KTB in order to receive the rebate.Ok so I went to the head office of the KTB and found i 

would number 20 in the queue outside as inside was full,so I returned to the KTB i first went to,on the way i thought i would need my 

tabien ban book otherwise i was sure they would send me to immigration for proof of residency letter at a cost of 300B so I dropped my wife near the bank in order to obtain a queue ticket while I went back home for my tabien ban book,any way after waiting another 45 minutes 

we seen a cashier who scrutinized my passport,tabien ban,Thai id card plus my wife’s id card,then she asked me if I had our marriage certificate 

i know I shouldn’t have raised my voice but i told her that we had been married for over 32 years,my daughter was 30  and was born in the local hospital,my son was 25 and was born in the local hospital and my wife had my surname on her id card.

To cut a long story short after paying 500B to open a savings account they deposited my withholding tax into the account,as I have 4 other 

accounts with other banks the last thing I wanted was an account with the KTB,it will know lie dormant until my next withholding tax rebate 

so anyone getting a withholding tax rebate,” happy hunting “

Well my son, welcome to the land of confusion, mountains of regulations and paper and people with little or no common sense.

On 3/6/2024 at 8:24 PM, Soapy 100 said:

So I got the withholding tax form from my bank saying i was entitled to 2,500 B rebate,then I took the form to the tax office 

who informed me the rebate would be a couple of weeks, ok no problem I’ve had rebates before by cheque that I could deposit 

in my savings account with the Bangkok bank i also remember  being given a ATM card from the KTB (although I don’t have a account with the KTB)when the letter arrived there was no cashiers check, no bankers draft only at the bottom of the letter it stated “ PROMPT PAY”

it was mostly in Thai so I thought the best bank to go too was the KTB as i had received tax rebates from this bank before,after waiting over 40 minutes to see a cashier who then informed me that as I don’t have an account with the KTB i would have to go to the Bangkok bank 

after waiting over 30 minutes i was informed that the Bangkok bank could not cash the PROMPT payment because i had opened my 

Bangkok bank account with my passport but the form said something about my Thai ID card and advised me to go back to the KTB 

so after waiting another 45 minutes the cashier advised to go back to the tax office to get clarification,they advised to go to a bank 

that was enough for one day so the next morning i decided to go to the Bangkok bank main office we’re i have always found them very helpful 

the cashier lady scrutinized the form,spent 15 minutes on the phone talking to the tax office,and then advised that they could not cash the 

PROMPT pay form and i must open an account with the KTB in order to receive the rebate.Ok so I went to the head office of the KTB and found i 

would number 20 in the queue outside as inside was full,so I returned to the KTB i first went to,on the way i thought i would need my 

tabien ban book otherwise i was sure they would send me to immigration for proof of residency letter at a cost of 300B so I dropped my wife near the bank in order to obtain a queue ticket while I went back home for my tabien ban book,any way after waiting another 45 minutes 

we seen a cashier who scrutinized my passport,tabien ban,Thai id card plus my wife’s id card,then she asked me if I had our marriage certificate 

i know I shouldn’t have raised my voice but i told her that we had been married for over 32 years,my daughter was 30  and was born in the local hospital,my son was 25 and was born in the local hospital and my wife had my surname on her id card.

To cut a long story short after paying 500B to open a savings account they deposited my withholding tax into the account,as I have 4 other 

accounts with other banks the last thing I wanted was an account with the KTB,it will know lie dormant until my next withholding tax rebate 

so anyone getting a withholding tax rebate,” happy hunting “

If you had read my OP post from a couple of weeks ago on this very subject you would not have had to go through all this trouble and inconvenience.

I'll repeat the short version again for foreigners who are expecting a tax refund.

#1. PromptPay refunds are NOT available to foreigners.

#2. The Revenue Dept have cancelled the e-card method of receiving your tax refund effective 1 Jan this year.

#3. Some Revenue Offices are still sending out refund cheques but most have also ceased this practice as of 1 Jan this year.

#4. Foreigners now need to open an account with Krungthai Bank to receive there tax refunds, also effective from 1 Jan this year.

#4. when you receive