Israel is at War - General discussion (pt3)

Just now, ozimoron said:

That Hamas were using human shields was all the more reason to resort to international judicial mechanisms to resolve the problem.

Wrong, Israel has been put into a very difficult situation, a sort of damned if you do and damned if you don't. Israel must eliminate all Hamas terrorist and if Hamas use their citizens as shields that is no fault of Israel. The world does not want to see another 7/10.....do you!

• Sad 1

Just now, ozimoron said:

provide a link. I am not clairvoyant.

ah, you made a claim, its up to you to prove it not me

13 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It is a war crime to kill human shields under any circumstances.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Sure it is. Officer Krupke!

Try to control your anger and stick to justifying your position. I note that a yes or no answer to my most recent question was too much for you.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, ozimoron said:

Try to control your anger and stick to justifying your position. I note that a yes or no answer to my most recent question was too much for you.

You are the caustic kid that has evaded my question of why you felt the need to use terminology like "sub human" utterly disgusting!

7 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

You are the caustic kid that has evaded my question of why you felt the need to use terminology like "sub human" utterly disgusting!

I was referring to Neyanyahu and his cabinet. In case you missed it the first time,. Netanyahu is an animal.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

In November 2023, Cambridge University Professor Marc Weller stated that "The very fact that we have seen 44 [Israeli] soldiers killed in the [Israeli invasion of the Gaza Strip] and almost 11,000 [Palestinian] civilians gives an indication that the calculation of proportionality in Gaza has left the bounds of reasonableness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_shield_(law)

The principle is that it is reasonable to kill human shields to attack military targets if they are attacking. It is not reasonable to kill them just because the targets exist among the human shields.

That is not a link to this claim stop the nonsense:

31 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I gave you a hint to do some research on IHL (International Humanitarian Law) and it tells you the circumstances where it is legal to kill civilians in war. If you are going to make a claim at least have a link for it. I am not getting it for you.

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

That is not a link to this claim stop the nonsense:

I gave you a hint to do some research on IHL (International Humanitarian Law) and it tells you the circumstances where it is legal to kill civilians in war. If you are going to make a claim at least have a link for it. I am not getting it for you.

The linked article discusses IHL and the issue of human shields.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

Wrong, Israel has been put into a very difficult situation, a sort of damned if you do and damned if you don't. Israel must eliminate all Hamas terrorist and if Hamas use their citizens as shields that is no fault of Israel. The world does not want to see another 7/10.....do you!

Unfortunately, the reality is quite different, and lots of media outlets (which were traditionally rather Israel-friendly) have covered it, such as in this MSNBC article from last November:

Immediately there were signs that Israel viewed its military operation as not just an operation for self-defense, but for inflicting excruciating pain on Gazans. As Netanyahu vowed “mighty vengeance” that would be felt for “generations,” Israel’s defense minister announced a siege, cutting off food, water, fuel, electricity and medicine to the entire Gaza Strip as part of its bid to fight those he called “human animals.” As Israel began aerial bombardment, an IDF spokesman said that “the emphasis is on damage, and not on accuracy,” and Israel’s president insinuated that no Gazan had the rights of a civilian as he bellowed that “it is an entire nation out there that is responsible.”

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opinion/israel-target-civilians-gaza-fetterman-rcna123890

• Thanks 1

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

It does not back your claim 

We'll have to agree to disagree. I believe it's on point and the quote I provided establishes that Israel's reliance on the accusation of human shields exceeds the bounds of reason.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I was referring to Neyanyahu and his cabinet. In case you missed it the first time,. Netanyahu is an animal.

Strange you never mentioned him, and if a poster were to have said that Israel deserves 7/11 what would you think of that poster?

Just now, ozimoron said:

We'll have to agree to disagree. I believe it's on point and the quote I provided establishes that Israel's reliance on the accusation of human shields exceeds the bounds of reason.

Its not a case of agreeing to disagree, its a case of you making a false claim and not backing it up.

The Lawful Killing of Civilians Under International Humanitarian Law

https://www.e-ir.info/2022/05/27/the-lawful-killing-of-civilians-under-international-humanitarian-law/

Just now, ozimoron said:

The Israelis are led by Netanyahu. He speaks for Israelis and commands them. You continually try this line of argument on.

You continue to be dishonest

13 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its not a case of agreeing to disagree, its a case of you making a false claim and not backing it up.

The Lawful Killing of Civilians Under International Humanitarian Law

https://www.e-ir.info/2022/05/27/the-lawful-killing-of-civilians-under-international-humanitarian-law/

The issue of proportionality is key. Nobody in their right mind can argue that the proportionality here is reasonable.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

The issue of proportionality is key. Nobody in their right mind can argue that the proportionality here is reasonable.

I know that, why are you telling me? To discover the proportionally you need to investigate each and every bombing. Why did you say It is a war crime to kill human shields under any circumstances. when it is not true?

46 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Thanks 1

You continue to be dishonest

"The Israelis" logically means their government in this conflict. I have said many times I have no problem with individual Israelis, only the government. I don't believe I need to repeat that ad infinitum ad nauseum to stop you relying on pedantry.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I know that, why are you telling me? Why did you say It is a war crime to kill human shields under any circumstances. when it is not true?

OK, it's illegal to kill human shields disproportionally. This brings me to another question which I know you will not directly answer in good faith. Do you believe that Israel's killing of human shields is proportionate and reasonable?

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, ozimoron said:

"The Israelis" logically means their government in this conflict. I have said many times I have no problem with individual Israelis, only the government. I don't believe I need to repeat that ad infinitum ad nauseum to stop you relying on pedantry.

You double speak then, so every time you say the Israelis you actually mean the government......lol

End of, impossible to debate 

• Sad 1

You double speak then, so every time you say the Israelis you actually mean the government......lol

End of, impossible to debate 

Yes I do. Please remember that in future

• Haha 1

Thanks for the admission, zero debates from now on, please remember that in future when you ask me questions

You forgot to answer my question about proportionality in the killing of human shields. I knew you would not rise to the challenge.

It is irrational to consider that when I say "The Israelis" in the context of this war that I mean each Israeli individually or all of them collectively. That would make no sense. I never generalize. It's especially irrational when I have made it quite clear over and over again that I blame only Netanyahu and his government and other key figures in the administration of Israel. I think you do understand that I am not racist despite continually trying to imply that I am.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Why did you say that the Israelis deserved 7/10. You are so disingenuous you are tearing yourself apart and why you are allowed to post like you do is beyond belief.