International Driving Permit

John207

Hi all, has anyone obtained an IDP in Pattaya of lately? I'm getting conflicting information so I was wondering what are exactly the documents needed and which transport office  to go to if the one in road 7 just outside Pattaya or the one in Chonburi city centre. All comments welcome thanks

....now found the English version https://safedrivedlt.com/driving-in-thailand/

Passport with non – immigrant visa : original and photo copy
**non quota visa alien identity book (red book) : original and photo copy

Residence certificate from embassy , immigration police office, government organization , international organization , work permit (with present resident address identified) and original photo copy

Five -years Thai driving license : car and/or motorcycle driving license : original and photo copy

Pictures 2 photos 2 inches (not more than 6 months)

Fee : 505 baht

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, John207 said:

Hi all, has anyone obtained an IDP in Pattaya of lately? I'm getting conflicting information so I was wondering what are exactly the documents needed and which transport office  to go to if the one in road 7 just outside Pattaya or the one in Chonburi city centre. All comments welcome thanks

What country will you be needing your IDP for? 

I recently read on AN Forum that Banglamung do not issue, have to go to Chonburi. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

You have a driving licence from another country? If you do then most of them will allow you to apply online and receive the IDP in the mail.  You obviously need someone back there to receive it and forward it on to you. Avoids on the complications and issues you will have trying to get an IDP based on a Thai driving licence. 

• Confused 2

Thanks for all the info guys very helpful indeed! 
I've been chatting with a  guy who's renting cars in Hanoi and he's saying that the UK based IDP I'm holding already bought online for $79 and successfully used in both Indo and Malaysia is not accepted by the local Hanoi car insurance. But he said he had farangs coming in with Thai IDP and no problem with that. Hope he's sincere! Finger crossed!

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

The difference between the two IDP's - the one bought on line and the one made here - appears to be that the former adheres to Genevra traffic convention 1949 where as the latter adheres to Vienna traffic convention 1968.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, John207 said:

Thanks for all the info guys very helpful indeed! 
I've been chatting with a  guy who's renting cars in Hanoi and he's saying that the UK based IDP I'm holding already bought online for $79 and successfully used in both Indo and Malaysia is not accepted by the local Hanoi car insurance. But he said he had farangs coming in with Thai IDP and no problem with that. Hope he's sincere! Finger crossed!

In both cases I might expect that they must be backed up by the original licence.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Smokin Joe said:

A genuine IDP for a UK license is only available from the Post Office.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/get-an-idp

"The DVLA has announced a major change to an important document needed for driving in more than 140 countries. Currently, anyone needing an International Driving Permit can get one from a Post Office.

However, from April 1 that will change. The DVLA said that, from that date, the permits would be "exclusively available from participating PayPoint stores across the UK".

2 hours ago, John207 said:

the UK based IDP I'm holding already bought online for $79 and successfully used in both Indo and Malaysia is not accepted by the local Hanoi car insurance.

Legitimate IDPs from the UK can only be obtained from the Post Office (PayPoints after April 1st) in person and cost £5.50.   Where did you get your special $79 (dollars?) "IDP" from?!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Legitimate IDPs from the UK can only be obtained from the Post Office (PayPoints after April 1st) in person and cost £5.50.   Where did you get your special $79 (dollars?) "IDP" from?!

....and for only GBP 5.50 so I got one as happened to be there a couple of weeks back, never know when it might be handy.

• Like 1

the UK based IDP I'm holding already bought online for $79 and successfully used in both Indo and Malaysia is not accepted by the local Hanoi car insurance.

"...is not accepted by the local Hanoi car insurance".

Of course they shouldn't accept online, fake UK IDPs!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Upnotover said:
6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

....and for only GBP 5.50

That's what I said.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've got the online UK IDP from https://internationaldriversassociation.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Search Ads WW minus USA - English&utm_term=International Drivers Association&utm_content=Ad Group 1
It seems legit to me and we had several exchanges via email. They give you the paper licence very similar to the one I got from the post office many years ago, and the plastic one as well they both look pretty professionally made and they were accepted last year in Bali airport from one of the car rental places and in Penang airport from one local car rental place. However like some of you say it might well be fake so I hope the Thai IDP will help me to rent this car in Hanoi and the next time I'll go to the UK I'll probably make one in the post office or in one of those nominated Pay Points.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Upnotover said:

....and for only GBP 5.50 so I got one as happened to be there a couple of weeks back, never know when it might be handy.

Did they ask you further proof of UK address (and in which form) when you applied or the address on the UK licence did suffice?

Edited by John207

12 minutes ago, John207 said:

I've got the online UK IDP from https://internationaldriversassociation.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Search Ads WW minus USA - English&utm_term=International Drivers Association&utm_content=Ad Group 1
It seems legit to me and we had several exchanges via email. They give you the paper licence very similar to the one I got from the post office many years ago, and the plastic one as well they both look pretty professionally made and they were accepted last year in Bali airport from one of the car rental places and in Penang airport from one local car rental place. However like some of you say it might well be fake so I hope the Thai IDP will help me to rent this car in Hanoi and the next time I'll go to the UK I'll probably make one in the post office or in one of those nominated Pay Points.

I looked at the website and it is 100% fake.

Keep in mind that the IDP is a document established by international treaties. Legitimate IDP's can only be issued by the governments that have ratified those treaties. Some governments delegate the authority for issuing the IDP's to other entities such as auto clubs.

In the USA IDP's are issued by AAA Auto Association because they have a charter from the US State Dept to issue them on behalf of the US Government. No other entity except AAA can issue a valid IDP for a US drivers license.

Same thing in every country. They may be issued directly from a government office like in Thailand or the authority to issue them may have been officially delegated to some other entity.

"

Also the only legitimate IDP's are issued in the flimsy, cheap looking, grey booklet as specified by the treaty. Any credit card sized "IDP" is a fake. Any digital "IDP" is a fake. Some of the fakes do look similar to real ones but the companies selling them are doing so without the authority to do so.

Some of the fakes do say in the small print that they are unofficial.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

You have a driving licence from another country? If you do then most of them will allow you to apply online and receive the IDP in the mail.  You obviously need someone back there to receive it and forward it on to you. Avoids on the complications and issues you will have trying to get an IDP based on a Thai driving licence. 

That depends on your country of original driving license. 

i.e. You can't obtain an IDP remotely from the UK, you have to get your IDP in person from the Post Office (any online option for an IDP is fake).

Someone can apply in the UK for you (but will need all your documents) a photo, UK DL and Passport. 

In Thailand, getting an IDP with a 5 Year Thai DL is easy enough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Smokin Joe said:

I looked at the website and it is 100% fake.

Keep in mind that the IDP is a document established by international treaties. Legitimate IDP's can only be issued by the governments that have ratified those treaties. Some governments delegate the authority for issuing the IDP's to other entities such as auto clubs.

In the USA IDP's are issued by AAA Auto Association because they have a charter from the US State Dept to issue them on behalf of the US Government. No other entity except AAA can issue a valid IDP for a US drivers license.

Same thing in every country. They may be issued directly from a government office like in Thailand or the authority to issue them may have been officially delegated to some other entity.

"

Also the only legitimate IDP's are issued in the flimsy, cheap looking, grey booklet as specified by the treaty. Any credit card sized "IDP" is a fake. Any digital "IDP" is a fake. Some of the fakes do look similar to real ones but the companies selling them are doing so without the authority to do so.

Some of the fakes do say in the small print that they are unofficial.

Thanks for looking....well....I guess I won't be wasting anymore money with those guys then!

• Like 1

From your link...

"Legal Disclaimer: International Drivers Association is in no way affiliated with or a representative of American Automobile Association, Inc (AAA) and makes no claim to be a Government Agency. You are purchasing a translation document which is not a replacement for a Driving License".

Why would a UK IDP issued from Singapore and charged (excessively) in USD reference the AAA and have a website in American English?  What you have is not an official UK IDP, you were had, better to get a real one.

"Get an international driving permit (IDP)
Until 31 March, you can get an IDP in person at the Post Office".

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/get-an-idp

3 hours ago, John207 said:

Did they ask you further proof of UK address (and in which form) when you applied or the address on the UK licence did suffice?

UK licence and passport.  That's all.

14 hours ago, Smokin Joe said:

A genuine IDP for a UK license is only available from the Post Office.

I always thought the AA, or RAC could also supply them?

19 hours ago, John207 said:

You buy them online with valid license. 

I posted on this forum a few weeks back how I got a 3 year IDP in Feb 2023 from my local post office in the UK. I don't know about the Paypoint option, but I suspect my Sainsburys local wouldn't have a clue about how to issue one or have a supply of blank ones in a drawer under the counter.  

21 hours ago, John207 said:

I got mine in my home country. Ask your question online and you will find your answers. Double check anything said in this forum.