International Driving Permit

John207

32 minutes ago, John207 said:

Hi guys thank you all for your useful comments! This morning I went to the transport office in Chonburi to do the IDP based on my 5 year Thai licence and first thing she said it was that unfortunately I couldn't do it because my licence had less than 6 months validity left!  🙄 Then she added that I needed to renew my Thai licence first and low and behold I got there at 10am and at 2pm I was out of there with both my new 5 year Thai licence and the 3 year IDP. Hard to believe but sometimes miracles do happen! 😀 Fortunately the docs needed for both licences were the same except I had to go to a local clinic to do a medical check up; probably the quickest and cheapest I ever done in Thailand for 100 baht just 3km away from the transport office run by a doctor called Jakawut Aonanong. For the record it was a good experience overall and considering that my Thai is still shamefully <deleted>e, everybody was really helpful and polite with a smile!

Thanks for the feedback....  I have found that dealing with the DLT one of the simpler of the 'bureaucratic' dealings in Thailand. 

As you found out, there is always a 'curve ball' or two, but in general, the process simple enough to get through on our own. 

On 3/7/2024 at 11:40 AM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

You have a driving licence from another country? If you do then most of them will allow you to apply online and receive the IDP in the mail.  You obviously need someone back there to receive it and forward it on to you. Avoids on the complications and issues you will have trying to get an IDP based on a Thai driving licence. 

Disagree!!  Got an IDP in Bangkok in the past based on a Thai driver's license.  No issues or complications at all.  Easy!  Wait in queue about 20 minutes, submitted docs, paid 505 baht and got my IDF straightaway.  It was honored by Hertz rentals at the Dulles Airport in the USA.

8 minutes ago, donmuang37 said:

Disagree!!  Got an IDP in Bangkok in the past based on a Thai driver's license.  No issues or complications at all.  Easy!  Wait in queue about 20 minutes, submitted docs, paid 505 baht and got my IDF straightaway.  It was honored by Hertz rentals at the Dulles Airport in the USA.

Lucky you - many others (including myself in Chiang Mai years ago) not so lucky.

IDP is issued in your home country.

Or

Are you looking for an IDP for your Thai wife when she visits your country.

Contributions here are referring to obtaining a Thai driving licence

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

OK. Now everybody is telling me I don't need an IDP. I am not interested in debating this. I know what the T&C's of my booking say and I intend to abide by them. I am aware that in practice agents have discretion on acceptable documentation so I might never need it. But I'm not taking a chance. Thanks to those who answered the questions I posted. That's all for now folks!