Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Getting Divorced

5 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I know a bit about uncontested divorce at the Amphur office, in Laksi, Bangkok as I did one last year, but this is useless advice for the OP as he needs to protect his property and rights and they have children.

The OP needs to get a good lawyer in Thailand and obtain a judicial divorce. He also needs to be sure that the divorce is legal under UK Divorce laws. 

To the OP, if you're going to be in Pattaya I can recommend a good family lawyer.

Yes, you are probably right, as the OP has given further details and information on his situation, since my first posting.

It is difficult if the OP gives little information and then drips feeds further details later. I did ask a few question to try to better understand, but were never answered.

I still seem unclear what the OP wants to achieve, what assists he has to protect, are there children, if he plans even to return, where is the wife?

I am out of the thread.

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2024 at 4:17 AM, James2494 said:

I looking for recommendations for a lawyer to give me advice on the situation that I find myself in. I came to the UK, my home, last summer and a week after I arrived my wife of 11 years contacted me to announce that she wanted a divorce. No gave no real reason and rejected any reconciliation. She seems to be expecting me to do the divorce and I said that I wouldn't do it. Since then she has not communicated with me at all and doesn't respond to any messages or letters that I send to her to find out what her intentions are.

She seemed to want her "freedom" but has done nothing in seven months to get her freedom. Is that kind of behaviour normal. wanting a divorce but expecting the husband to do it all, especially now I am located in the UK.

How can anybody give advice (but the advice should be from a divorce lawyer, not a community web board).

Where is your wife located and what is her nationality. Have you been living apart / in different countries for the 11 years you mentioned? 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

How can anybody give advice (but the advice should be from a divorce lawyer, not a community web board).

Where is your wife located and what is her nationality. Have you been living apart / in different countries for the 11 years you mentioned? 

I haven't asked for divorce advice I have asked for "recommendations" for a divorce lawyer in Thailand. "Where is your wife located and what is her nationality. Have you been living apart / in different countries for the 11 years you mentioned?" this irrelevant to the question that I asked. "Where is your wife located" irrelevant. Given it is a Thai marriage then divorce, surprise surprise, is in Thailand. "Have you been living apart / in different countries for the 11 years you mentioned?" Irrelevant.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Yes, you are probably right, as the OP has given further details and information on his situation, since my first posting.

It is difficult if the OP gives little information and then drips feeds further details later. I did ask a few question to try to better understand, but were never answered.

I still seem unclear what the OP wants to achieve, what assists he has to protect, are there children, if he plans even to return, where is the wife?

I am out of the thread.

The key question that I asked, recommendations for a Thai lawyer have gone unanswered. "I am out of the thread" Great although some how I think you will be back.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/8/2024 at 6:23 AM, save the frogs said:

yeah but the fact that you were completely unaware that she was dissatisfied is a problem.

or maybe it was an affair or sth. but usually there are signs of dissatisfaction 

Well it happens all the time.....the fact is now he is at point B, nice enough of the guy not to beat up on how ungrateful she was, all I gave her story etc etc, relationships start and end all the time, and its not always about how one is treated, sometimes love just dies, we change or we want to head in a new direction...no shame no blame....I like it... 

On 3/8/2024 at 4:17 AM, James2494 said:

I looking for recommendations for a lawyer to give me advice on the situation that I find myself in. I came to the UK, my home, last summer and a week after I arrived my wife of 11 years contacted me to announce that she wanted a divorce. No gave no real reason and rejected any reconciliation. She seems to be expecting me to do the divorce and I said that I wouldn't do it. Since then she has not communicated with me at all and doesn't respond to any messages or letters that I send to her to find out what her intentions are.

She seemed to want her "freedom" but has done nothing in seven months to get her freedom. Is that kind of behaviour normal. wanting a divorce but expecting the husband to do it all, especially now I am located in the UK.

Google for your and her's home city lawyers, ive skimmed over here but no mention of where you were living, if finding a Farang lawyer then BKK or Pattaya, pretty much everyone uses line here these days....

On 3/8/2024 at 5:24 AM, James2494 said:

"For a simple uncontested divorce you both go to the Amphur and sign the documents, etc for a couple hundred baht. " If it is that simple why doesn't she do it or suggest it?

Because you both have to be there.  Unless you use an agent, possibly

Edited by Liverpool Lou

12 hours ago, Njoku said:

Well it happens all the time.....the fact is now he is at point B, nice enough of the guy not to beat up on how ungrateful she was, all I gave her story etc etc, relationships start and end all the time, and its not always about how one is treated, sometimes love just dies, we change or we want to head in a new direction...no shame no blame....I like it... 

Technically love is not supposed to die.

Love is an art form that human beings are not particularly good at. 

Hence all the failed marriages.

• Confused 1

On 3/15/2024 at 1:46 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

For a simple uncontested divorce you both go to the Amphur and sign the documents

Is that the Amphur where she lives or where we got married. We were married in Bangkok somewhere but I have no idea where. Does the marriage certificate say where it is? I still don't know how I get her to go the the office if she simply ignores all communication.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, James2494 said:
On 3/15/2024 at 8:46 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

For a simple uncontested divorce you both go to the Amphur and sign the documents

Is that the Amphur where she lives or where we got married. We were married in Bangkok somewhere but I have no idea where. Does the marriage certificate say where it is? I still don't know how I get her to go the the office if she simply ignores all communication.

I believe that it has to be where the marriage was originally registered, which is detailed on the marriage certificate, that's where mine was done.   

You have my sympathy, it sounds as though your wife doesn't want the actual divorce; although separated, my ex did not co-operate with me regarding our divorce for twelve years (even though I was with someone else and we had two more children) until she met someone else and suddenly our divorce was a matter of urgency.

On 3/8/2024 at 5:06 AM, Georgealbert said:

For a simple uncontested divorce you both go to the Amphur and sign the documents, etc for a couple hundred baht.

In the UK are you sure about that. 

32 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

In the UK are you sure about that. 

So you cherry pick part of my post to make another nonsense comment.

My full post was clearly giving advice on how to get a Thai divorce, and a link to a legal site on Thai family law.

Try reading my post again and that will save you embarrassing yourself further.

Just now, Georgealbert said:

So you cherry pick part of my post to make another nonsense comment.

My full post was clearly giving advice on how to get a Thai divorce, and a link to a legal site on Thai family law.

Try reading my post again and that will save you embarrassing yourself further.

The OP is not asking about a Thai Divorce is he.

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

The OP is not asking about a Thai Divorce is he.

He has a Thai wife, he was married in Thailand, he says his belonging are in Thailand, he was just visiting his son in the UK, his wife is in Thailand and he has asked for recommendations for a Thai divorce lawyer.

I could be wrong, but that seems to point to seeking a Thai divorce.

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You have my sympathy, it sounds as though your wife doesn't want the actual divorce;

She wants the divorce all right. She was quite clear when she messaged me tell me. She just wants me to do it. Now whether that is she so she doesn't loose face or doesn't want the expense I don't know. She made it quite clear that she wanted her freedom, not that I ever stopped her doing anything.

5 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

He has a Thai wife, he was married in Thailand, he says his belonging are in Thailand, he was just visiting his son in the UK, his wife is in Thailand and he has asked for recommendations for a Thai divorce lawyer.

I could be wrong, but that seems to point to seeking a Thai divorce.

Just to clarify, not that it has any bearing on the original question about needing a lawyer. I returned to the UK to visit my 2 sons and grand daughter. And to sort out income from my pension and ISAs. A week after I returned I called her to say when I would be returning and she seemed to go into panic mode. A day later I got a message saying she wanted a divorce. Following numerous attempts to get to the bottom of the problem and reconcile, all of which I got no response what so ever, I then opted to remain in the UK since I had no where to return to in Thailand. Yes I didn't burn my bridges and sell up in the UK and it is where my youngest son still lives. So not sure what some people are making something of that. Had my son not elected to remain in the house I would have rented it out for the income.

Yes married in Bangkok.

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2024 at 6:32 PM, James2494 said:

Just to clarify, not that it has any bearing on the original question about needing a lawyer. I returned to the UK to visit my 2 sons and grand daughter. And to sort out income from my pension and ISAs. A week after I returned I called her to say when I would be returning and she seemed to go into panic mode. A day later I got a message saying she wanted a divorce. Following numerous attempts to get to the bottom of the problem and reconcile, all of which I got no response what so ever, I then opted to remain in the UK since I had no where to return to in Thailand. Yes I didn't burn my bridges and sell up in the UK and it is where my youngest son still lives. So not sure what some people are making something of that. Had my son not elected to remain in the house I would have rented it out for the income.

Yes married in Bangkok.

Maybe she has someone, a sponsor and it would be bad for her if you discover it, you could be suing the cheater, so it would be much better for her if you were initiating the divorce. Also it's possible that she is very lazy and don't want to face the hassle of paperwork. Probably good to don't panic and think well about your options and obviously a good lawyer to know your options. Maybe you could get compensation from the cheater.