Sexism in City still 'shocking', report finds

Social Media

image.png

The report by MPs on sexism in London's financial district reveals persistent and shocking levels of sexual harassment and bullying experienced by women in the workplace. Despite some incremental improvements since 2018, progress has been slow, and efforts to address sexism are moving at a snail's pace.

The Treasury Committee emphasizes the importance of tackling sexism in the City to ensure the sector can access the widest pool of talent and maintain its position as a vital component of the UK economy. Chair of the committee, Harriett Baldwin, expressed frustration at the slow progress, highlighting the need for urgent action.

One major concern highlighted in the report is the misuse of non-disclosure agreements (NDAs) in sexual harassment cases, which were found to be used to silence victims and protect perpetrators. The committee calls for legislation to ban the use of NDAs and stronger protections for whistleblowers in sexual harassment cases.

The report also criticizes inadequate internal whistleblowing procedures within firms, where HR teams prioritize business reputation over employee wellbeing. It highlights the victimization and dismissal faced by whistleblowers within the financial services sector.

To address gender inequality, the committee recommends banning prospective employers from asking for salary history and legally requiring job adverts to include salary bands. It also suggests adjusting the size threshold for gender pay gap reporting and requiring businesses with wide gender pay gaps to explain and address the disparity.

Ms. Baldwin emphasizes the responsibility of firms to improve their culture and warns of the risks associated with inaction, both morally and economically. While regulators and the government have a role to play, the report cautions against the introduction of "tick-box" exercises and emphasizes the need for meaningful action.

Source

image.png

I mistook the article for Sex in the city, a massive series that celebrated women sleeping around and treating men as sex objects.

Of course, like cultural appropriation it's only frowned upon in one direction. 

Lots of women get top positions and top jobs and top salaries in huge businesses and brands.. Like Alissa Heinerscheid and Dylan Mulvaney at Bud Light. What could possibly go wrong?

• Haha 1

I doubt there has been a rise in occurances.

It's likely the bar has been lowered considerably with regards to what was considered banter and is now considered harassment. 

I'm not condoning any negative behaviour towards anyone. I'm against discrimination of any kind. It's just, in modern times it's become common place to report what was once considered a mon event.

I remember the days women would give as good as they got. Often beating the guys with sarcastic come backs and equally sexist replies. Stopping the guys in their tracks.

These days one can't even tell some women how lovely they look without the risk of bring accused of harassment.

• Agree 1

No examples given. Usually it is just a case of flirtation, which is apparently a crime nowadays in the UK. Women have lost the ability to give a firm and unequivocal no to a guy - they just simply don't know how to do it. Instead they now go running to authority and claim to be a victim. Society is breaking down as a result.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/9/2024 at 10:51 AM, Social Media said:

Chair of the committee, Harriett Baldwin, expressed frustration at the slow progress, highlighting the need for urgent action.

:cheesy:

A female I believe.

I worked with hundreds of females in my time, and none of them wasted their time moaning about sexism.

Harriett is IMO a moaning ninny, playing the victim card.

On 3/9/2024 at 8:12 PM, youreavinalaff said:

These days one can't even tell some women how lovely they look without the risk of bring accused of harassment.

The ten years I worked in a London hospital I never dared to comment on a female nurse's looks for fear of being reported. I also refused to be alone in a room with a female patient for fear of being accused of something I didn't do.

It's a very different world from when I started nursing when, taking care of females alone was a normal part of my job, and not something I even thought about.