Swiss man who allegedly assaulted Thai doctor faces additional charges

snoop1130

12 minutes ago, Henryford said:

He can not legally own a gun. If it's registered to him that could only happen if he illegally bribed an official. Why would a normal person need a gun for anyway. In his case it was to intimidate others. This POS thinks nothing of assaulting women, obstructing an ambulance and is a menace to society.

Sorry - you are wrong re legally own a gun.

See my comment 15 hours ago

23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:
On 3/9/2024 at 9:05 AM, BKKBike09 said:

Gun ownership by foreigners is a grey area: outside Bangkok it's very challenging and even in Bangkok these days it may not be possible.

No, it is not a grey area...foreigners are not permitted to own firearms in Thailand.

Yes, it is a grey area although, as per my comment, outside Bangkok it's very challenging and even in Bangkok these days it may not be possible.

You also chose to ignore my comment "the key requirement was always to have a tabian ban because that means having a 13-digit Thai ID number and a work permit, so basically meaning people with Permanent Residency".

You've changed your tune in subsequent posts to accept that foreigners with PR were / are permitted to own firearms in Thailand. A foreigner with PR is a foreigner.

I imagine you'll respond to this post by telling me that the law changed in 2017 and that since then foreigners have not been able to obtain permits for firearms. The law, in fact, has not been changed: the proposed amendments have never been gazetted and so remain just that, proposed amendments. Foreigners with PR continued to be able to apply for a firearm permit (and I know a number of successful applicants).

However since the Siam Paragon shooting all permit issuance in Bangkok has been under intense scrutiny, hence my comment "even in Bangkok these days it may not be possible".

As per my original comment it has always been very challenging for foreigners to obtain permits outside Bangkok. In the provinces it is down to the local District Chief (Nai Amphur). Many of them don't approve applications for Thais, let alone foreigners.

To return to the OP: if this foreign fool had a permit in his name issued in Phuket, it would not have been issued by the police. If anything was 'signed by a local policeman' it may have been the character reference letter that is supposed to accompany each application: said letter however needs to be signed by a Pol Lt Col or higher rank (or civil servant C5 and above). If it turns out that the foreign fool had some piece of paper signed by a copper saying "this man is allowed to have this gun" or whatever, that would not be a legal permit.

So, yes, gun ownership by foreigners is a grey area.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"An answer to this obvious 'grey area' has been published by a reliable not to be named source".

Yes, i read that in the Bangkok Post, hence my response to another poster.  In which "not-to-be-named-source" (?) did you see it?

My comment referred to your statement of 'no gray area existing' within the current gun law legislation. Correct in the sense that After 2017 no foreigner can apply for a license, without exclusions.

But also without a further qualification as to the validity of already registered firearms by foreigners before 2017.

From my understanding, the foreign owners of registered firearms have not been contacted - their registrations have not been revoked.

This seems to be a quite substantial 'gray area', open to interpretation by the Authorities, a good example Anutin, on record requesting the Swiss being charged with illegally owning a firearm regardless of the latter apparently holding a valid license to own a firearm issued prior to 2017., which has never been revoked.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Henryford said:

He can not legally own a gun. If it's registered to him that could only happen if he illegally bribed an official. 

Really ?

There is 2 guns in my house, 1 licensed in my name (since 2008)... no bribing involved.

I was denied a licence for an automatic shotgun though.. they are frowned upon !

• Thanks 2

On 3/8/2024 at 3:49 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Next, he was seen jaywalking weeks ago.

Deport this dangerous individual right away so that Thailand is safe again! 😉 

He said that the Swiss national, whose visa was revoked yesterday, will face charges of illegal possession of firearms and carrying firearms in public.

Should this be ignored as a minor detail?

• Confused 1

On 3/9/2024 at 6:40 AM, chuang said:

Foreigners do not have the rights to own firearms in Thailand..

Which is interesting as this definitely didn't used to be the case. Did he have an old legitimate but lapsed permit I wonder?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

Which is interesting as this definitely didn't used to be the case. Did he have an old legitimate but lapsed permit I wonder?

I believe the permit was issued in the name of the company.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, ravip said:

He said that the Swiss national, whose visa was revoked yesterday, will face charges of illegal possession of firearms and carrying firearms in public.

Should this be ignored as a minor detail?

No, it shouldn't.

But we can be pretty sure it would have been ignored, maybe after paying a little tea-money, if that doctor wouldn't have complained.

Thailand has lots of laws. And it seems often many of those laws are ignored and not enforced. Until the moment someone decides that one person is a target. And then suddenly everybody remembers all things which they ignored all the time. TiT. 

• Agree 1

Apart from the totally unprovoked kicking of the doctor, the anger in the Swiss's voice when suggesting the two ladies move, was startling.

The venom, the hatred, he sounded unhinged.

Lucky he didn't bring out his gun.

Is it true he was a security guard back home?

Time to once again don the jacket and cap and patrol the premises of Credit Suisse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/9/2024 at 10:08 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

Foreigners are not permitted to own firearms and registering/licencing them is not possible, regardless of the intended purpose.  If it was permitted for target shooting every foreigner who just wanted a gun would suddenly take up target shooting as a hobby!

As you bery well know, foreigners were permitted to own firearms and registering/licensing them was possible prior to the amendmends of the gun laws in October 2017.

Furthermore, these licensences were never revoked since there is no clause in the law stating that licenses issued before October 2017 (prior to the amendment becoming law) are invalid.

BTW - you are very well aware of this important fact.

On 3/8/2024 at 1:10 PM, roo860 said:

As far as I'm aware no non thai citizen is allowed to own any lethal fire Arms ever in the kingdom but someone please correct me if I'm wrong 🤷‍♂️

On 3/9/2024 at 10:27 AM, bendejo said:

Ok, so they take away his visa.

Then they arrest him for not having a visa.

Sense?   Sense has nothing to with it, this is law enforcement.

To be more exact, his current permission of stay would be revoked for whatever reason they come up with, and he would be issued another based on the fact he is subject to a criminal charge... else yes, he would be on overstay/illegal stay. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/9/2024 at 11:38 AM, Kinok Farang said:

Cuck who would win in a fight between a kicking Swiss and a hitting Swiss?

My money is on the "Dosed up" Toblerone guy/woman 

On 3/9/2024 at 9:11 AM, KannikaP said:

Sweden is a northern Scandinavian country, Switzerland lies in the middle of Europe bordering Germany, Italy and Austria. 

And France and Liechtenstein

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2024 at 2:13 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I don't see it this way....    One think I have noticed over my years here is that in person, Thai's are extremely non-judgemental and forgiving... they do not tar all with the same brush... they are astute enough to differentiate the piggish bogans of all nationalities from the respectful regular flock...

Lots of Thai are non judgmental. Lots of Thai are judgemental. They live in the moment and if the moments news is … things change. I watch people become unfriendly;  morning market 2 or 3 times a week, Same for evenings, I can see it.

On 3/9/2024 at 2:13 PM, richard_smith237 said:

That said, if we are the type of foreigner who has never had an issue here, who has respectfully settled and behaves normally then there is nothing to be concerned

This sounds far too pollyannish. I know of people who never had an issue here but lost wealth, health & in cases, their life. I accept the fact that it is risky living here, riskier than other countries. However if the government ratchets it up, yes I am seriously concerned.