My wife is getting fat.

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Why on earth are you the cook?

One of the reasons I married a Thai was to avoid these tiresome household chores that Thai woman still regard as their territory!

But seriously, some observations.

Most Thais I know wouldn't touch that western style meal you expect her to enjoy. They much prefer their traditional rice and spice themed dishes. She is probably binge eating separately.

Thais consume more sugar in their food than most other cultures (US is one major exception) They either over sweeten or over salt most of their food with little thought of the health risks. Liver, kidney disease and cancer are rife in Thailand. 

I think this diet catches up with many as they age. Most of the older women I see in my part of Thailand are spreading.  It's disappointing to see, they should retain their youthful figures in the same way as we western men! 

Disagreed with all you had written until your last sentence....... So true.....  We Adonis lookalikes 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, n00dle said:

indeed, just as it is his choice to cut her loose if he no longer finds her attractive. 

Then she keeps the house. Well done to her.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, advancebooking said:

Have been married for 10 yrs. We have a daughter and so glad to have this experience in life, living the dream here etc.

When I married my wife she was slim. Her body was tight. Even after giving birth she stayed in shape. For example, she still had that gap between her upper inner thighs when standing up. 

Now 10 yrs on and she is getting rather large in the lower half of the body. 

Last night my child ran downstairs at 6pm to get mummies grab delivery. I inspected and found it was a sugary chocolate looking drink with round jelly balls floating inside. I was thinking what the hell. I go upstairs and she is drinking it and eating 2 min noodles from the original packaging that one can buy at the supermarket (full of palm oil and MSG). She wasnt eating my dinner that I cooked for us all. Grilled steak, roast potato/ pumpkin, steamed carrots and coccus. Cherry tomatoes on the side. 

Later that night I had to chat with her. No more sugar for a month etc. No more sugar drinks. 

It seems she doesnt respect her body anymore and this concerns me. 

I noticed when I purchased some strawberries at the market recently,  they include a small bag of sugar with each punnet. If one orders food from some restaurants using grab they often give a free bottle of coke with the delivery. Eat out at restaurants and the chefs add sugar to the food all the time. 

It might come to the point where Im not attracted to my wife anymore the way things are going. Ive never really been into big girls. Whats going to happen in another 10 yrs if she doesnt care about her bod. 

Thoughts?

Think about that she doesn't respect you? Or sit together and tell her the same what you did here. Possibly she didn't know yet. Talk to her but don't ignore her

OP is justified in his concerns. If he's taking the time to prepare healthy meals for his whole family it's a safe bet that he hasn't let himself go.  I bet he pays the bills and has provided a good life for his family. His wife has to hold up her end of the bargain or hit the bricks. 

Lay down the law and mean it. Your wealth is more portable than a fat woman's ass.  No need for a mia noi and the associated expenses and sneaking around. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, JensenZ said:

You can nag her to death - she won't change. She'll just keep on getting fatter. You didn't say anything about age, as it makes a big difference to how fast you pile on fat.

It is possible that she's not happy in the relationship and food has become a way to overcome the stress of it. A lot of people eat for comfort. The problem could be you. Maybe you're too demanding?

Another possibility could be that she is seeing someone on the side who prefers some meat on the bones and she's catering to his (or her) preferences. Not everyone likes their partners skinny.

You might consider counseling although thais really don't like it.

Unless you are with her 24/7 she is still going to do it.

Does she have any friends does she go out.

What does daughter think.

19 hours ago, advancebooking said:

Have been married for 10 yrs. We have a daughter and so glad to have this experience in life, living the dream here etc.

When I married my wife she was slim. Her body was tight. Even after giving birth she stayed in shape. For example, she still had that gap between her upper inner thighs when standing up. 

Now 10 yrs on and she is getting rather large in the lower half of the body. 

Last night my child ran downstairs at 6pm to get mummies grab delivery. I inspected and found it was a sugary chocolate looking drink with round jelly balls floating inside. I was thinking what the hell. I go upstairs and she is drinking it and eating 2 min noodles from the original packaging that one can buy at the supermarket (full of palm oil and MSG). She wasnt eating my dinner that I cooked for us all. Grilled steak, roast potato/ pumpkin, steamed carrots and coccus. Cherry tomatoes on the side. 

Later that night I had to chat with her. No more sugar for a month etc. No more sugar drinks. 

It seems she doesnt respect her body anymore and this concerns me. 

I noticed when I purchased some strawberries at the market recently,  they include a small bag of sugar with each punnet. If one orders food from some restaurants using grab they often give a free bottle of coke with the delivery. Eat out at restaurants and the chefs add sugar to the food all the time. 

It might come to the point where Im not attracted to my wife anymore the way things are going. Ive never really been into big girls. Whats going to happen in another 10 yrs if she doesnt care about her bod. 

Thoughts?

She gave you a wonderful gift - a child.  Be happy. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, advancebooking said:

Your wife is not much better off eating the meal you cooked for her. Potato and carrots are both high carb foods. pumpkin is low carb.

Best way to lose weight is protein ( meat, fish, eggs ) plus low carb vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and green beans. For fruit, strawberries and blueberries.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Obesity seems to be a global problem, and there also seems to be no generally approved answers to why. I have an old friend who are one of the world leading professors in obesity, and I often reads what he share.

Some studies conclude that obesity is caused by wealth, when people can afford to eat enough food, which might include "unhealthy" food. Other studies claim obesity as a disease; I can suspect the medical industries to wish and support that, so they can sell obesity medicine supported by government funds.

Some gets fatter from carbon hydrate (sugar), others from fat. That might be a good reason why some diets like pasta works for some, and not for others, while eating non-fat then works for others, but not for some.

Studies have shown that there different ways for obesity depending of blood sugar level. It's depending of insulin sensitivity of how fast you feel full; which might be why diabetes medicine works to reduce obesity.

In general it might still be down to that if energy intake is larger than energy consumption, the excess energy is stored, which in humans is stored as fat. From that point of view it's primary a question of change in life-style – both amount of food and snacks, and what to be eaten, and level of exercise, which is an important factor when slimming to burn the right fat – which can be difficult and might require some strong will.

My own lovely girlfriend seems to have same kind of problem – however, still a bit from the level for finishing the relationship – but she finally try to face the change of life-style; she was also still slim after giving birth to our daughter, now some 18 years years ago.

A way to help might be to in a kind way convincing that a life-style change is necessary – obesity can lead to a lot of diseases and shorter life.

Edited by khunPer
typo
  • Agree 1