My wife is getting fat.

Your wife just sent me a message stating that her complaints about you are as follows , penis doesnt work , bad breath , pee all over the toilet seat , farts all day long . Sounds like your a keeper . 

How you live your life, putting in diet, exercise, amount of time in the sun, and stress can mean a lot more than genetics. I've seen many women and men who grew up looking a little like their parents, but in much better shape at the age I saw their parents at earlier.

• Agree 1

Use operant conditioning. Ask her if she's lost some weight and tell her she looks great. Do that often enough and she'll come to associate flattery with weight loss. Then she'll lose weight on her own account because she likes the flattery. Women are easy to manage.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I get out a lot, perhaps I've just simply had the good fortune to meet a higher class of expats then you have. There are some pretty serious guys here who are accomplished, successful, smart, and lead well-balanced lives, but it takes a certain amount of good fortune to encounter them and befriend them. 

And very few of them are hanging out at the bars on a regular basis. 

400,000 expats in Thailand. I doubt you met 201,000 of them.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Mr Derek said:

Use operant conditioning. Ask her if she's lost some weight and tell her she looks great. Do that often enough and she'll come to associate flattery with weight loss. Then she'll lose weight on her own account because she likes the flattery. Women are easy to manage.

Pavlov's dogs died a long time ago and that experiment doesn't work well

8 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

What time is dinner, I'll eat it. 😂

Sadly, tightness of skin is age related. 

If I am eating out (Thai), I have to tell the cook not to add sugar, it's crazy that they add sugar to most savory meals. 

Don't allow coke, cakes, chocolate etc. in the house, tell the kids these foods are for special occasions only, they are only allowed to eat at parties, with friends etc 

A few years ago my eldest daughter came home asking if she could buy her protein powder, she told me her friends at school were telling her that she was too skinny, underweight. 

I calculated her BMI, my daughter was perfect, she was surprised, her friends had an overweight problem,

"What time is Dinner? I'll eat it".

Simply brilliant.🙃🙃

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Dan O said:

Pavlov's dogs died a long time ago and that experiment doesn't work well

He's actually right about positive feedback. You tell a woman she's beautiful, looks great, sexy etc, and she'll do her best to stay that way. You tell her she's getting fat and she'll hate your words, never forget them, withdraw from you and maybe self sabotage herself by eating more.

• Agree 1

In my home country I used to arrange the adoption of stray cats for the Cats Protection League - and that taught me all I needed to know about Thai women.

When a stray was first adopted, she would eat like it was a last meal ever, fearing the food supply would not last.  She'd start to put on weight, which at first was a healthy improvement, but normally before she got fat, she'd realise these was this dedicated slave who adored her, and provided an unlimited supply of free food.

Then she'd get picky about what she'd eat - only fresh salmon with a side dish of prawns, or just the most expensive cat food.  Her weight would stabilise as she gradually took over the house.

But some cats couldn't kick the habit of over eating, so they'd need an exercise routine.  Cat wheel, toys, 15 minutes chasing a laser pointer etc.

Try getting your wife an exercise bike, or a clockwork mouse.

• Haha 1

On 3/8/2024 at 8:44 PM, advancebooking said:

Have been married for 10 yrs. We have a daughter and so glad to have this experience in life, living the dream here etc.

When I married my wife she was slim. Her body was tight. Even after giving birth she stayed in shape. For example, she still had that gap between her upper inner thighs when standing up. 

Now 10 yrs on and she is getting rather large in the lower half of the body. 

Last night my child ran downstairs at 6pm to get mummies grab delivery. I inspected and found it was a sugary chocolate looking drink with round jelly balls floating inside. I was thinking what the hell. I go upstairs and she is drinking it and eating 2 min noodles from the original packaging that one can buy at the supermarket (full of palm oil and MSG). She wasnt eating my dinner that I cooked for us all. Grilled steak, roast potato/ pumpkin, steamed carrots and coccus. Cherry tomatoes on the side. 

Later that night I had to chat with her. No more sugar for a month etc. No more sugar drinks. 

It seems she doesnt respect her body anymore and this concerns me. 

I noticed when I purchased some strawberries at the market recently,  they include a small bag of sugar with each punnet. If one orders food from some restaurants using grab they often give a free bottle of coke with the delivery. Eat out at restaurants and the chefs add sugar to the food all the time. 

It might come to the point where Im not attracted to my wife anymore the way things are going. Ive never really been into big girls. Whats going to happen in another 10 yrs if she doesnt care about her bod. 

Thoughts?

I was having the similar problem with the wifey mainly because the village we live 2/3 are relatives so it was a constant food fests everywhere we went or every time someone came to visit.  What I did was to reverse the view and ask the wife to help me stay in better shape as I'm getting older and want to be in better health for us to have a long good life together. (I've been the same weight for 40 years and no health issues at all). I go swimming every day for an hour or so and she goes with me to "encourage" me. She started to do water exercises with a couple older women at the pool  while I  swim. When we see the family she now often just has something to drink but uses me as an excuse to watch my sugar or salt or fat intake for me health. The family seems to accept it as its "my" issue were working on and not her or them being a non stop buffet. They even make healthy food and drop it off to "help me" stay healthy. 

• Thumbs Up 2

34 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

He's actually right about positive feedback. You tell a woman she's beautiful, looks great, sexy etc, and she'll do her best to stay that way. You tell her she's getting fat and she'll hate your words, never forget them, withdraw from you and maybe self sabotage herself by eating more.

positive reinforcement works better than negative, thats for sure but you wont get large changes. It can also backfire as the wife may think you like the way she's looking at some point and not do much to change further as she's thinking thats what you want, which isnt the goal to encourage continued improvement.  its never productive to give negative feedback on any regular basis as that will have disastrous effects

16 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Our bodies were initially trained to consume meat, as hunter-gatherers.. When mankind established agriculture was when obesity began, as carbohydrate became a major part of the human diet. Pasta is carbohydrate.

Carbohydrate in the stomach is hydrolysed to sugars. Put refined sugars on top of that, it's the perfect recipe for obesity.

IME fat consumption has nothing to do with body weight. I went from 93 kg to 78 kg on a diet of protein and low carb vegetables. During that time, I was eating lashings of cheese, which is 35-40% fat.

Actually our bodies is rather designed to digest plant food – or a combination – if you listen to science; meat eaters have a more simple stomach and colon-system. Humans have eaten carbon hydrate long before the so-called obesity pandemic. And I also clearly say that carbon hydrate cause obesity for some or numerous – it might be depending on blood sugar, as some studies show – but science has so far no clear explanation about what cause that huge level of obesity we've seen during the last 50 years or so. Your body seems to be one that gain weight from carbon hydrate, but we are not all the same.

9 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Actually our bodies is rather designed to digest plant food – or a combination – if you listen to science; meat eaters have a more simple stomach and colon-system. Humans have eaten carbon hydrate long before the so-called obesity pandemic. And I also clearly say that carbon hydrate cause obesity for some or numerous – it might be depending on blood sugar, as some studies show – but science has so far no clear explanation about what cause that huge level of obesity we've seen during the last 50 years or so. Your body seems to be one that gain weight from carbon hydrate, but we are not all the same.

Carbohydrate is the correct term. The closest I can get to carbon hydrate as a scientific term is a clathrate, which is a compound of methane and ice found in permafrost.

Be that as it may, obesity and weight loss can be viewed as a combination of genetics and diet. If both one's parents were obese, the odds are pretty good their offspring will be obese too.

There may be a range of other diets which achieve weight loss. All I can say is that from my extensive reading, calorie restriction ( carbohydrates and sugars ) seem to be the most common path to success in achieving weight loss.

When I was a child, sweet things were a special treat, restricted because they were known to cause tooth decay. This was in the days before fluoridation improved dental health for millions.

I think it is fair to say one can't walk into any supermarket nowadays, without being surrounded by sugar. It's in damn near everything. Not hard to connect the dots from there.

52 minutes ago, Dan O said:

positive reinforcement works better than negative, thats for sure but you wont get large changes. It can also backfire as the wife may think you like the way she's looking at some point and not do much to change further as she's thinking thats what you want, which isnt the goal to encourage continued improvement.  its never productive to give negative feedback on any regular basis as that will have disastrous effects

When a woman feels loved, she will do whatever she can to make her man happy. If she's not a person who was fatter earlier in life, and only gained recently, she does not like how she is so that's when that positive feedback will work. Women know their bodies, as well as men, but they  usually think they aren't as good as they really are. Many men think they are better than they actually are. Negative never works, and can make matters a whole lot worse.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hokeus said:

Welcome to SE Asia. 

IMG_4061.jpeg.f5f30cab2ae268085dbcf97508147b9f.jpeg

Bear in mind these figures from the WHO are from 2011. So presumably, more than 10 years later, things are much worse now. 

Malaysian looks sumo

36 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Carbohydrate is the correct term. The closest I can get to carbon hydrate as a scientific term is a clathrate, which is a compound of methane and ice found in permafrost.

Be that as it may, obesity and weight loss can be viewed as a combination of genetics and diet. If both one's parents were obese, the odds are pretty good their offspring will be obese too.

There may be a range of other diets which achieve weight loss. All I can say is that from my extensive reading, calorie restriction ( carbohydrates and sugars ) seem to be the most common path to success in achieving weight loss.

When I was a child, sweet things were a special treat, restricted because they were known to cause tooth decay. This was in the days before fluoridation improved dental health for millions.

I think it is fair to say one can't walk into any supermarket nowadays, without being surrounded by sugar. It's in damn near everything. Not hard to connect the dots from there.

Vehicle ownership and sugar availability are the 2 biggest factors I see.

22 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Manufacturers know full well how addictive sugar and salt is, so they put as much as they can get away with without the food tasting cloying or too salty. People get addicted and then it's hard for them to stay away from the sugar. Sugars in the body need to be burned before stored body fat can be burned. That's why the keto works so well, at least as far as losing weight fast is. It's not a healthy diet long term as some think it is. Here, it's the extreme amount of rice they eat, along with the slowing down of metabolism as they age, the less work they do on the farm, the more sugar laden drinks they consume, along with the snacks.                                                                              Kids here are given snacks like they are meals. The same happens in the US, where obesity has exploded this last century. here it will continue to rise, as it has been, and Thailand will be closing the gap on western countries where obesity and overweight people abound. I have to tell my ex wife and her family to stop giving my daughter so much crap, because she doesn't get but a smidgen here, and they know nothing of nutrition. Snacks are to appease the children if they complain about what you feed them, and it becomes a habit they win at. Parents give in too much.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    People can have a propensity to be overweight by genetics, but it's environment in those homes that ruins their chances of being a lean adult. They eat what their parents who are fat give them, setting them up for a lifetime of bad choices in food. My parents parents were from Poland and Ireland, and my parents cooked that food, which is rather heavy on calories. But we also ate healthy lean food. My dad gained weight over the years but mom didn't, preferring fish over meat a lot of the time. I started weight training at 17, just as I was starting to gain fat. Then studying nutrition along with the weights taught me what to eat, and I stayed very lean for the next 45 years, until I moved here and didn't have a gym handy until recently. Eating more rice here hasn't helped, so I've had to cut down to stay lean. I know many that I've met in gyms that are lean who have fat parents. Just takes will power and a desire to sty lean. Diet is most of what you look like. I can turn to a keto (kinda) diet and get ripped in a matter of weeks because I keep my body fat manageable. I love pasta, potatoes, rice, sweet potatoes and bread but don't eat too much because the waist starts to thicken. Salads help to fill you up so you eat less starches for dinner.

23 hours ago, The Theory said:

I guess her life getting boring. This happens to many women. 

Women can tolerate almost anything other than boredom. That's why so many provoke the living excrement out of their husbands or leave a stable guy for a thug. 

Sean Connery didn't take any guff from the ladies. 

• Agree 1

Have you bought her a house? What does she lose if you leave? 

Maybe she wants you to go - but it could just as easy be menopause or depression.

Is the daughter following her lead?  Clearly there is a problem if she is sneeking food.

They are like teenagers - they dont think right - actually most women dont think right.

Very rich men dump their women if they get fat/ugle/trouble - got enough money to do that?

If not rich, then let her know you are not happy with her increasing weight - get a set of scales.

If she responds then great - if she does not and keeps doing it - you know the situation (they wont say it).

Hopefully it does not go that far, but if it does - will you still stay or leave - decide. 

Never ever just walk out one day - you will lose big time - plan carefully how to do it - get legal advice.

41 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

Sean Connery didn't take any guff from the ladies. 

This interview was at the beginning of radical feminism and arrogant women trying to gain control over men in the name of equality - and they won. Only men like Sean Connery refused to back down and spoke the truth. The majority just shut up, backed down and let them take over. Welcome to the world where women and their BS equality khrapp has infected everything - illogical and irrational and no acceptance of accountability - bitchy and divisive - arrogant and indolent.  IMO the western world is getting worse every year and it will take women backing down and rtejecting all the BS that radical feminists have shoved on them, before it gets back to being rational and logical and accountability returns.  Meanwhile here is SEAsia the women are respectful and feminine and lovely - they still have all their faults - but they dont all want to rule over men. 

Edited by TroubleandGrumpy
  • Haha 1