British and Norwegian nationals arrested for illegal employment

webfact

image.jpeg

A Norwegian woman and a British man have been apprehended in Thailand for alleged illegal employment.

The arrests occurred on Koh Pha Ngan and Phuket island respectively, as part of a police operation targeting foreign nationals working unlawfully in the country.

The Norwegian woman, 56 year old Unni Sekkesaeter was taken into custody at Tha Sala pier in the district of Pha Ngan, Surat Thani. The arrest was facilitated by a joint task force comprising immigration, tourist police and local police.

Sekkesaeter was apprehended as she waved goodbye to two departing tourists from her Toyota sedan, prominently marked with the name Pha Ngan Paragon Resort & Spa. The arrest was confirmed by Surat Chani’s immigration chief, Naruewat Phutthaviro.

Sekkesaeter is now facing charges for ferrying passengers in her vehicle, a violation of Thai law which forbids foreigners from driving passengers. She has reportedly admitted to the charge. In addition to this, Sekkesaeter is the general manager of Pure Lifestyle, a company that operates Pha Ngan Paragon Resort & Spa among other resorts on the southern tourist island, famous for its Full Moon Party.

Police have been instructed to press charges against the company and its authorised director for permitting Sekkesaeter to engage in work that is off-limits to foreigners.

Meanwhile, in Phuket, the immigration chief, Phisit Sawadthavorn, reported the arrest of a 34 year old British man, Ryan Horner. The arrest occurred in the parking lot of Wat Phra Yai in Mueang district. Horner stands accused of working as a guide, a profession in Thailand that is reserved exclusively for Thai citizens, reported Bangkok Post.

Following his arrest, Horner was taken to Karon police station to face the charges.

In related news, police charged an American woman for running an unlicensed nursery on Koh Phra Ngan, an island in the southern province of Surat Thani. Seven foreigners were found working at the site without permits.

by Mitch Connor

Photo courtesy of Bangkok Post

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Confused 2
  • Sad 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

In years gone by farangs have been arrested at Phuket airport for dropping people off, one I remember was stood there in full view being given money from the passengers, idiot should have made them pay him in the car, 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Even though a person might have a work permit it will only cover specific jobs, strange but true

Ok thanks, so eg operating a travel kiosk,? outside 7/11 selling tours trips, realestate,to Russian speaking clients may be ok

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Even with a work permit, you are not supposed to work in  jobs reserved for Thais, like carrying passengers, tour guides, flipping burgers on the streets, working in salons, etc. 

Thanks! 

49 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Arrested with a work permit? Please explain. 

My gut on this says she was doing a job that was not authorized by the work permit. Making what she was doing illegal. Work permits are given out for one job description only. Anything more than that is considered working illegally. Especially if it is a job set out to be given to a Thai

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, thesetat said:

My gut on this says she was doing a job that was not authorized by the work permit.

She was doing a job that is reserved for Thais only, like driving passengers in a rental car or using her own personal cars to drive passengers for money. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

29 minutes ago, thesetat said:

My gut on this says she was doing a job that was not authorized by the work permit. Making what she was doing illegal. Work permits are given out for one job description only. Anything more than that is considered working illegally. Especially if it is a job set out to be given to a Thai

There is no job description in my work permit.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My misses can drive herself shopping in the future.

They ain't gonna get me on that one!

I get the midget to drive everywhere these days