British and Norwegian nationals arrested for illegal employment

webfact

5 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I also do not see barwork on the list but according to my friend who has a small bar and tells me it's illegal for him to serve drinks, it certainly should be.

They cover that in the labour laws with 'Manual Labour' - a catch all clause.  But you have to consider this - many foreigners start businesses that would not otherwise have been there previously.  Those foreigners provide jobs for Thai's and pay taxes - thus boosting the economy. I have no intention of owning a bar but if I did, I'd be pretty p'd off if I was providing jobs for Thai's but not able to serve my customers a beer.

On many occasions a foreigner can do a particular job better than a Thai would - take the example of a tour guide.  That guide, if they were a foreigner, would most likely speak the same language as the tourists fluently and therefore answer their questions and understand their requirements. That tour is bringing X amount of guests to Thailand - the authorities should be grateful for that.

I've been on a tour of Khao Yai National Park twice - on the first tour the guide spoke excellent English and knew the area very well. We had an excellent trip and the guide was very knowlegable about the wildlife that were the objective of the tour.  That prompted me to recommend the tour to some visiting relatives (even though its damned expensive).  On the second tour the guide could speak only basic English and was clearly reading from a script. Guests were only given basic information - we were all very disappointed.

I fully understand the reasons for protecting Thai jobs but common sense should be applied.  Abuse is pretty easy to identify.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/9/2024 at 1:44 AM, Excogitator said:

So, as I understand it, the Norwegian is managing several hotels and spas and has a valid visa for doing so. Her mistake was to drive her customers to the airport, instead of letting her staff do it. Got to be careful here..

It is as simple as that, especially while using the company car. 

All of those who feel chased down by the government, what is your guilt by feeling so?

Thailand is quite easy country to live in as an expat if you just understand common sense.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Can arrest Johhny foreigner  for being a  taxi but cant arrest Somchai for not  using  the  meter.

It  all makes  sense  now

It will never make sense to foreigners whose only voice is on this forum. Johny foreigner, could not make money in his home country and came to Thailand to earn money. What a shame. Must be deported. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

It will never make sense to foreigners whose only voice is on this forum. Johny foreigner, could not make money in his home country and came to Thailand to earn money. What a shame. Must be deported. 

Why do you post in such a way?  Do you do it for effect?  If so, you may want to think again, it actually works against you.

Why do you say 'could not make money in his home country' - is that because of your own experience?

I can't speak for others but I earned almost all of my money in my home country.  I'm moving to Thailand full time this year and I'm certainly not thinking I will be able to earn money easier - I fully expect it to be much more difficult.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Its what is known as 'commom knowledge' 

Common knowledge does not convict anyone of murder but thanks for playing anyway Champ.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Common knowledge does not convict anyone of murder but thanks for playing anyway Champ.

A strange reply. I don't remember saying that common knowedge convicted anyone.  I'm saying that the cases where people have got away with murder are common knowledge. We've all read about them.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/9/2024 at 6:47 AM, bob smith said:

so can I mate.

the xenophobes are out in full force at the moment.

thank god I sold my phuket condo pre covid,

what a hell hole that place has become!

bob.

There seem to be a few on this forum as well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Driving passengers in your vehicle is dangerous, and it degrades the nation. It is a very important job, and denying that right to a local could utterly destroy the economy. Glad the "joint task force" is focusing on such important work. They will single handedly help to increase the GDP and employment. 

Where I live in rural Thailand there ARE no taxis, motorcycle taxis, baht buses or ANY form of public transport.

10 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Yeah correct. Boss did not murder anyone.

Those two lads from Myanmar.... they were convicted of murder.

So how bout some examples of people that got away with murder ?

Duangchalerm

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, retarius said:

Thailand doesn't need expats.

I understand why you might say that. However, expats starting businesses which create employment and pay taxes is a form of Foreign Direct Investment - something which Thailand works hard to attract.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Where I live in rural Thailand there ARE no taxis, motorcycle taxis, baht buses or ANY form of public transport.

Similar situation here.

If I walk 500 yards to the end of the soi there is a song taew that passes on a route into town. However you could not set a sundial by it and it's pot luck so never tried it.

Leaving the small town is better with a few trike taxis available. These are a bit like long haul flights without the catering or toilets. 

But....all this is good since it keeps the tourists away and with a car and a Honda wave ....no problem

1 hour ago, LivingNThailand said:

Lots in phuket.  Now they have muey Thai visas.  What is the government thinking?  We need quality tourism.  Sigh.  Seriously low life’s here now. 

Cheers. I forgot about the Muay Thai visas. A visa to learn how to hurt people. You just can't make this stuff up. Maybe they should push Thailand as the HUB of anabolic steriods to increase this secor of visa applicants. As for quality tourism I think this just means rich tourists. IMHO this is tourism based on class. Not a good thing to embrace. Plenty of rich Chinese, Russian, Indian etc. tourists, but quality? Well this is debatable.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Firstly - and I think you know this very well. The 2 men from Myanmar were convicted of murder with no physical evidence. A forensic report was provided regarding some of the evidence but the evidence itself was not available to the court. That in itself, should at the very least have lead to that report not being allowed to be entered into evidence

Furthermore, as the evidence was not available the defence were not able to have it independently tested to verify both its authenticity and its accuracy.  In most courts in civilised countries, that fact alone would mean the prosecution could not go ahead and the case would be thrown out.

The conviction of the 2 men from Myanmar was not only an injustice, it was a disgrace on the country.

More directly to your statements - I've read many reports across the media in the 20+ years I've been visiting Thailand where Thai's, usually rich and famous or the police, have indeed 'Got Away With Murder'.  I'm pretty sure that you have also read the same reports.

Its what is known as 'commom knowledge' so no, I'm not going to spend my time providing you with links to reports that you have almost certainly read.  You are just trying to be difficult - I say trying because you are failing.  Most members here, especially those that have been around for a while, will know of these cases.  We know what we've read - we don't necessarily remember the full details.

This is more of a re-post of your post because you are spot on. Those boys were convicted on very dodgy DNA evidence and a phone. Sadly there are some on here that will not listen to anything else but their own opinions no matter what. Never too old to educate yourself and to do this sometimes one must be open to all sides of an argument. @MangoKoratyou've been visiting for 20yrs,  I've lived here for 20 yrs but this should make no difference. One only has to Google. I pm'd ('cause off topic) @Ralf001 a couple of interesting YT vids in regards to this travesty of justice Thai style but no reply. Again I say your commeny is spot on.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Duangchalerm

@Ralf001

"In 2001 Duangchalerm was arraigned for murder of a police officer. After fleeing to Malaysia, he returned and handed himself in. He was released from jail on bail terms in 2003, and finally acquitted as the court considered the evidence insufficient and the witnesses accounts contradictory."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalerm_Yubamrung

11 hours ago, ravip said:

WOW! This sounds extremely serious! Thailand should allow foreigners to do whatever they like, if they say they are welcoming them! :whistling:

12.000 Thais working illegally in Saudi Arabia..... But no mention of that here

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

in the West you can earn more than here in Thailand.. O the difference is it is here cheaper to live so probably it seems to have more money.. But be fair in the West foreigners earn far more than 35.000 THB for  being a teacher.. But here in Thailand it seems a lot of money

4 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

12.000 Thais working illegally in Saudi Arabia..... But no mention of that here

Sadly this is more down to the agents and the Saudi bosses than the Thais trying to make money for their families.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

in the West you can earn more than here in Thailand.. O the difference is it is here cheaper to live so probably it seems to have more money.. But be fair in the West foreigners earn far more than 35.000 THB for  being a teacher.. But here in Thailand it seems a lot of money

Bt35K a month is not a lot. Not even close. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ravip said:

WOW! This sounds extremely serious! Thailand should allow foreigners to do whatever they like, if they say they are welcoming them! :whistling:

I know the history but maybe you can read abit more about the WOII on the internet.. The Germans were angry at a certain population as they thought they were stealing their jobs. It became a real problem that all Jews had to destroyed..  

13 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Bt35K a month is not a lot. Not even close. 

I know just to say that foreigners come here to make money is ridiculous... and Thais are going workin in other countries because they pay more.. and often they work illegally.. Look at Korea, now Saudi Arabia, and I know people in Europe too... So a few foreigners who do something here have to work that a Thai can't do and that is almost impossible to find and than they get a low payment according to Western standards..

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, ikke1959 said:

I know just to say that foreigners come here to make money is ridiculous... and Thais are going workin in other countries because they pay more.. and often they work illegally.. Look at Korea, now Saudi Arabia, and I know people in Europe too... So a few foreigners who do something here have to work that a Thai can't do and that is almost impossible to find and than they get a low payment according to Western standards..

Foreigners come here for freedom.  Well I came to escape the sideways sleet in Aberdeen.

26 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Foreigners come here for freedom.  Well I came to escape the sideways sleet in Aberdeen.

What freedom has Thailand??? explain please.. Indeed several years back it was good but nowadays????