British and Norwegian nationals arrested for illegal employment

webfact

I was talking to a guy the other day and he is leaving Thailand next week, he said he's had enough, he likes to come for extended holidays, they were staying in Surin and moved to Rawai, him and his wife don't like the area no more, 

He didn't actually say but I know where he is staying and it's full of Russians. 

Maybe this driving people away, the other week I know one farang moved off the island and another one I see down the beach in the mornings next month he is also moving to Khao Lak, 

4 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Told  the  wife  shes  gotta  walk everywhere from now  on, even the  dogs on its  own now too

I paid for the wife to have driving lessons and her full drives license. Then bought her a car. Now she drives me everywhere we go.... shopping, camping trips, immigration. Plus, I never have to worry about drinking and driving.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

I can feel the simmering hate recently.

Only recently? Your xenophobia projecting has been quietly seething for years already. I honestly don't know how someone so blatantly unhappy with Thailand and Thai people manages to get through each torrid, hate-filled day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Excogitator said:

So, as I understand it, the Norwegian is managing several hotels and spas and has a valid visa for doing so. Her mistake was to drive her customers to the airport, instead of letting her staff do it. Got to be careful here..

Nothing new here. Many foreigners own bars and restaurants and more than a few have been busted for getting their customer's a beer from the fridge, bringing their food from the kitchen, etc..

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

I was a serious birder when I lived there. There were more farang bird guides than thais when I was there. No one cared. This will clear out the birding and wildlife tourists that were coming here on high dollar tours.

So the Thais cannot operate bird tours? 

Why is this? Lack of education, knowledge, or what?

56 minutes ago, Excogitator said:

So, as I understand it, the Norwegian is managing several hotels and spas and has a valid visa for doing so. Her mistake was to drive her customers to the airport, instead of letting her staff do it. Got to be careful here..

Sorry, but that is just a complete joke. 🤮

I don’t think it is witch-hunting or xenophobia to catch people who are breaking the law. Getting caught is just one of the downsides of illegal behavior. 

• Agree 1

Not exactly a "mafia" type, or an "influential person"?

Low-hanging fruit, actually fruit that has already fallen off the tree, for lazy Thai officials who've been ordered to get off their A$$es and do their job for one day.

2 hours ago, Denim said:

I can't. 

Must be where you live.

Me neither,  tho I can seethe bewildered thai  vendors and tourists especially amazed by the audacious russkies pushing their services unabated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Excogitator said:

Valid Visa ?

Would need a Valid Work permit I woulda thought.

14 minutes ago, mancub said:

Yet to see a foreigner arrested for clearing rubbish off the beach/street or distributing food to poor folk during covid times.😁

Technically they could get arrested for cleaning the beach, but thats a job Thai's wont do they are the ones that leave it there, 

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Thai people see the mote in the foreigners eyes, but don.t see the beam in their own. It is just getting to look like a witchhunt, or even what the Germans did before the second World War... blame a group and prosecute and deport them. And that in country that pretents to be welcoming retiring people, tourist and expats...

I think you’re over dramatizing. Illegal workers clearly know (or must know) that it is against the law. Expats who follow the rules tend not have as many problems or be questioned by the authorities. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Even with a work permit, you are not supposed to work in  jobs reserved for Thais, like carrying passengers, tour guides, flipping burgers on the streets, working in salons, etc. 

The legless bloke flips burgers in the street in Bangkok, apparently he has his wife as a nominee, whatever that means

2 hours ago, Lopburikid said:

I paid for the wife to have driving lessons and her full drives license. Then bought her a car. Now she drives me everywhere we go.... shopping, camping trips, immigration. Plus, I never have to worry about drinking and driving.

Same here, its a bit scary at times though, especially when she's drunk!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Olmate said:

Ok thanks, so eg operating a travel kiosk,? outside 7/11 selling tours trips, realestate,to Russian speaking clients may be ok

A Russian was busted in Phuket a few days ago doing almost exactly as you describe, except he had a money exchange kiosk.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, dddave said:

A Russian was busted in Phuket a few days ago doing almost exactly as you describe, except he had a money exchange kiosk.

Interesting, yes these pliks have exchange also, few nites ago took over busy footpath with BBQ crocodile on large spit, dangerous as.Unreal! 

I'm scared to wash my car. If I get my 14 year old son to do it I might get arrested for abuse of child labour? My plan is therefore to get my Thai wife involved in the task but I'll have to first invest in some of those noise cancelling headphones and strap in for the anticipated vocal tornado.

22 minutes ago, Excogitator said:

So, in your mind, if you have a valid work permit, you are exempt of any visa?

Thats not what I said... but now that you mention it.

I have a work permit but no visa !

• Like 1
  • Confused 1