Thai AirAsia opposes airfare reductions due to operational costs

webfact

4 hours ago, Dolf said:

Some of these vip buses charge 700 or 800 baht and take 10 to 12 hours versus 1200 baht for a plane ticket.

That’s a short hop. Try booking say Hat Yai to Chiang Mai near a holiday. Could be 5 or 6 grand. Relatively speaking, that is a lot and the airlines rake it in. They know what they’re doing. 
/ sorry, meant to quote your flight example //

Edited by daveAustin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Been here 20 yrs mate and I know that airfares have gone up post covid. It might be the cost of a pizza for some but it all adds up.

Pre covid was 2019, 5 years ago. So you would expect at least 20% rise.

2 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

That’s a short hop. Try booking say Hat Yai to Chiang Mai near a holiday. Could be 5 or 6 grand. Relatively speaking, that is a lot and the airlines rake it in. They know what they’re doing. 
/ sorry, meant to quote your flight example //

Hotel put prices up at holiday times. Demand/supply. How the economy works.

• Like 1

All those that sent AirAsia or any airline a donation to offset losses during the pandemic put you hand up. No one? 

Then don't complain when they recover the losses and refill their coffers. 

ps - among other inflationary costs there's severe disruption to new aircraft deliveries ( Boeing are having a meltdown ) and new staff bottlenecks across the worldwide airline industry. 

People don't realise that the worldwide pool of qualified people and high quality candidates is running dry. 

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Dolf said:

Pre covid was 2019, 5 years ago. So you would expect at least 20% rise.

Even during covid flights were cheaper and again it's more like 40%+ increase.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Even during covid flights were cheaper and again it's more like 40%+ increase.

Poor thing. People are dying in wars and all you care about is 300 baht extra on a flight.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, theblether said:

All those that sent AirAsia or any airline a donation to offset losses during the pandemic put you hand up. No one? 

ps - among other inflationary costs there's severe disruption to new aircraft deliveries ( Boeing are having a meltdown ) and new staff bottlenecks across the worldwide airline industry. 

People don't realise that the worldwide pool of qualified people and high quality candidates is running dry. 

I wouldn't say no one. How about goverments? I remember very, very substantial bailouts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

This dose of reality will not go over well with the public or government officials.

They can't keep on quoting covid that's long gone now. Can't phone airasia like before, my wife and I have stopped flying with them now. Trying to book with them my thai wife has given up.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Poor thing. People are dying in wars and all you care about is 300 baht extra on a flight.

Silly comment which has nothing at all to do with this thread. I live here (20yrs), I work here and I have a family here and being ripped off by price gauging airlines doesn't make me happy. I think this is quite reasonable.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, helloagain said:

They can't keep on quoting covid that's long gone now. Can't phone airasia like before, my wife and I have stopped flying with them now. Trying to book with them my thai wife has given up.

Very, very difficult to sort out any type of problem with them. I agree but are the rest any better?

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, dinsdale said:

Silly comment which has nothing at all to do with this thread. I live here (20yrs), I work here and I have a family here and being ripped off by price gauging airlines doesn't make me happy. I think this is quite reasonable.

Not being ripped off. Flights are cheap in Thailand. Catch a bus if you want cheaper. Your choice.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Thai atms charge 220 baht on foreign cards. Cost is them is very little. That's price gouging. Airlines are a marginal profit business most of the time.

4 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Not being ripped off. Flights are cheap in Thailand. Catch a bus if you want cheaper. Your choice.

Yes flights are cheap here but they are now and have been fore some time more expensive. This is the whole point of the thread is it not or have you missed this detail? And it's not just about one person is it? "Catch a bus". 

"Thai AirAsia has weighed in on the issue of high airfares"

High airfares. Everyone but your good self seems to acknowledge airfares are high in Thailand and being that this is Thailand external comparisons are simply moot. Even AirAsia acknowleges fares are high but they're giving their reasons for it be the legitimate or not. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Yes flights are cheap here but they are now and have been fore some time more expensive. This is the whole point of the thread is it not or have you missed this detail? And it's not just about one person is it? "Catch a bus". 

"Thai AirAsia has weighed in on the issue of high airfares"

High airfares. Everyone but your good self seems to acknowledge airfares are high in Thailand and being that this is Thailand external comparisons are simply moot. Even AirAsia acknowleges fares are high but they're giving their reasons for it be the legitimate or not. 

I booked a cheap ticket not long ago. If people book last minute they pay more. Always been the case. Past 2 years I've booked many cheap tickets. You seem to be just whinging about nothing much. Airlines need to make a profit and AA has always been around the cheapest.

51 minutes ago, theblether said:

I'm grateful that AirAsia exists. If one can plan well in advance the prices can be really good. Last year we had a few trips with my gf, one international from Krabi to KL. I paid 5200 baht for 10 individual tickets.

In July I'm flying with the Malaysian AirAsia from KL to Makassar Indonesia return, that's 3 hours 30 minutes trip. I paid 7000 baht total, which includes 55kg of checked in baggage both ways, including sport equipment (my bicycle). I think this is an excellent price - try to move 55kg with a full service airline and your wallet will be a lot thinner.

Edited by gearbox
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Thai atms charge 220 baht on foreign cards. Cost is them is very little. That's price gouging. Airlines are a marginal profit business most of the time.

I guess 1/2 a billion baht for full year net profit 2023 isn't so good. Marginal at best. Lets keep those seat prices up.

"For the full year of 2023, AAV reported revenue from sales and services of Baht 41,241.5 million, a 135 percent increase from the previous year. EBITDA was Baht 7,032.4 million, while net profit was Baht 465.8 million**, a significant improvement from a net loss of Baht (8,214.4) million in the previous year."

https://newsroom.airasia.com/news/aav-announces-4q2023-financial-results#gsc.tab=0

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I guess 1/2 a billion baht for full year net profit 2023 isn't so good. Marginal at best. Lets keep those seat prices up.

"For the full year of 2023, AAV reported revenue from sales and services of Baht 41,241.5 million, a 135 percent increase from the previous year. EBITDA was Baht 7,032.4 million, while net profit was Baht 465.8 million**, a significant improvement from a net loss of Baht (8,214.4) million in the previous year."

https://newsroom.airasia.com/news/aav-announces-4q2023-financial-results#gsc.tab=0

How much is that in US dollars? Not much at all. $13m profit. Stuff all profit.

Edited by Dolf

Every AirAsia flight I've been on in the last 12 months has been sold out. So it doesn't seem to be impacting demand. Just did a RT to Roi-Et for 2 for just over 9000THB. Not overly pleased, but not outraged either. Is what it is. 

8 minutes ago, Dolf said:

I booked a cheap ticket not long ago. If people book last minute they pay more. Always been the case. Past 2 years I've booked many cheap tickets. You seem to be just whinging about nothing much. Airlines need to make a profit and AA has always been around the cheapest.

Whingeing about airfares and discussing the cost of airfares are two very distinct things. Discussing if price gauging is happening is not whingeing. Pointing out that airfares have increased by around 40% or more is not whingeing. It's discourse. Saying that someone is whingeing over what is essentially the price of a pizza is, however, rather disrespectful.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Whingeing about airfares and discussing the cost of airfares are two very distinct things. Discussing if price gauging is happening is not whingeing. Pointing out that airfares have increased by around 40% or more is not whingeing. It's discourse. Saying that someone is whingeing over what is essentially the price of a pizza is, however, rather disrespectful.

Where's the proof for this 40% claim? 

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Dolf said:

How much is that in US dollars? Not much at all. $13m profit. Stuff all profit.

You're in Thailand (?) so talk in Baht. Just under half a billion baht isn't bad for the Thai arm of AirAsia which on the whole is a domestic carrier.   

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

You're in Thailand (?) so talk in Baht. Just under half a billion baht isn't bad for the Thai arm of AirAsia which on the whole is a domestic carrier.   

Very small profit. Planes are bought using us dollars. The airlines isnt based in a Thai village. Ridiculous to claim $13m is a large profit for a big company.

I've flown AA in Thailand since the beginning. I only see a 40% price increase going back many years. DM to CM used to be 800 baht, now 1130 baht.

1 minute ago, Dolf said:

Where's the proof for this 40% claim? 

Proof? Really? I've said so many times but it seems you think I'm making it up that the fight I take was in 2019 around the Bt750+ mark and is now around the Bt1050+ for the cheapests fares for the flight time I take. You'll find this is a 40% increase. Can you tell us all, if you wish to, how long have you been in Thailand and how many flights have you taken?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, dinsdale said:

Proof? Really? I've said so many times but it seems you think I'm making it up that the fight I take was in 2019 around the Bt750+ mark and is now around the Bt1050+ for the cheapests fares for the flight time I take. You'll find this is a 40% increase. Can you tell us all, if you wish to, how long have you been in Thailand and how many flights have you taken?

What route is this?

980 baht DM to Khon Kaen. That's up 30% if 750 baht before. Inflation accounts for 2/3. Airport taxes would account for most of the rest.