Samsonite luggage

PJ71

On 3/10/2024 at 12:54 AM, tomazbodner said:

Old Samsonite lasted forever. New one, not so much.

Central is the distributor for Thailand so they would have them in their department stores. Central World has (had?) a Samsonite shop on ground floor near Groove on ground floor.

However I had some of the wheels break on mine, and when reaching out to Samsonite service center, manned by Central, I was told that unfortunately they don't carry the spares and cannot fix it for me. So stick to your old one as long as it lasts. Their parts are custom and some shortcuts are used in how they are assembled, which makes them difficult to impossible to service with generic parts. That said... I still stick to Samsonite, and all my travel stuff is from them.

Tumi, mentioned above, is considerably more expensive, and their metal cases are known to be very tough. Unfortunately their expensive laptop backpack fell apart in half the time Targus one did. So maybe they are good for some things, but that doesn't mean they are the best for everything.

Agreed. Samsonite used to be the suitcase to buy, unfortunately the last 2 replacements bought have been of inferior quality to those bought 7-10 years ago. Tumi metal is expensive but when compared to other high end luggage (Samsonite included) the extra paid is worth every penny.

On 3/9/2024 at 8:35 PM, Hummin said:

Samsonite is the best, and last "forever". Expensive, yes

I would have to disagree.

At least with American Traveller. Got one in London that I used to go to Hong Kong last year (very first use of that bag), and I had to take it to the Samsonite service centre in Hong Kong to get it repaired (under warranty) because the pull-out handle for wheeling it around broke on the walk between Hong Kong and Central stations (maybe it actually broke on the plane, but friction held it together until I got off the train from the airport).

Similarly I have an old Samsonite suitcase, one of the magnesium ones in green with leather bought from Selfridges back in the 90s, before I was married and had kids so I had money, which was definitely not cheap, where the leather stops for sitting it on (it had two wheels, rather than four - so it wasn't a spinner) fell off.

And I had a blue Samsonite, again this one got fixed in Hong Kong - (maybe it's the baggage handling at HKIA), where one of the wheels fell off.

On 3/9/2024 at 5:47 PM, PJ71 said:

Does anyone know if there's a store that stocks a good selection of Samsonite luggage in BKK, looking for Ecodiver 67cm item.

Looked online but a lot of outdated info unfortunately.

Thanks

MBK

On 3/9/2024 at 6:01 PM, marin said:

Go to a branch of Central Department store. They will carry genuine Samsonite. You will pay but it will be there with the Samsonite guarantee. If you want to take a chance on a cheap knockoff follow Dolf's advice.

CD carries a lot of designer luggage, I got Polo at 40% discount, watch for sales

Why spend $1,000 for a Tumi or Rimowa when you can get a cheapo bag for $100.  Sure, the wheels are gonna break but

if its within a year it should be fixed on warranty.  I had a Thai made bag from Central and they fixed the wheels for me on

warranty.  It took 6 weeks but I got it done.  

Even if they don't fix the wheels, get a new bag for $100 and start over.  I can't see paying a Grand for a bag.  Are the wheels

on a Tumi made of Titanium?  I doubt it.  You can get 10 decent bags for 1 Tumi.

The market leader in Europa is certainly Rimowa, although they are very expensive. But their appearance and quality is very high, no matter whether you chose an Aluminium- or Polycarbonate model. Their disadvantage is their own weight (tare) which can be up to 5 or 7 kilos. That's why I replaced them with Samsonite C-Lite models which weigh 2.8 kilos only. They have the same volume and are as durable as Rimowa, but also have similar prices.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 8:37 AM, freeworld said:

Have 4 samsonite and 1 carlton (3 suitcases and 2 hand luggage) bought them circa 1996 and after extensive travels all over the planet the exterior shows some small scars but they are overall still in good condition.

I have a Carlton too. Around 25 years old and still in good shape. 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 11:25 AM, Liverpool Lou said:
On 3/9/2024 at 9:17 PM, Denim said:

The problem with all ' solid ' type luggage ( many brands ) is that their rigid construction has no play in it. Many times I saw this type of case pop open ( even when locked ) If dropped vertically on one of its corners.

Dropping a case, vertically on to one of its corners, would be a problem with the @rsehole baggage handlers, wouldn't it, not with the case, surely?  

Well no.. not really... It would be the 'fault of the @rsehole baggagle handlers, throwing luggage... But it would be your own problem with a damaged or split open case with missing items. 

I've had two items damaged by Airlines - A pushchair snapped in half and a roller case with the corner wheel smashed off it...  on both examples the compensation claim was rejected by the Airline (Eithad) and the Ombudsman couldn't help as their claim on my behalf was rejected - only option was to file a legal claim with a lawyer which was going to cost more than the replacement items. 

IMO - the most secure case - the clamshell case (not with a Zip) but with 3 clasps - the ones the Airlines (some of them) issue to the flight crews for long haul flights... the issue for regular punters is that those clamshell clasp cases are heavier than the usual cases and a lot of EU carriers are already limiting baggage weight to a max 23 kgs from some airports. 

I have Tumi (Alpha 3) check XL check in Luggage...  Also North Face Luggage (170 Litre Rolling Thunder 36") and both take a battering with regular travel...  I have to get new bag every 3-4 years or so.

I'm getting to the stage where I'd just prefer a wooden crate on wheels and be done with it. 

• Haha 1

Long, long ago we were working on Chek-lap-kok airport (Hong Kong's "new" airport - did I say it was a while back).

Just before opening there was a large stack of luggage which had been used for testing of the baggage handling system with a large sign "FREE - take what you like".

The state of some of the bags that were still there after a day was something to see, hard-case stuff (including Samsonite) totally destroyed.

I've always travelled with mid-range soft luggage, the baggage mangling system will kill anything.

And let's not talk about the bag I saw that had "fallen off" a baggage train and been run over several times (this was after opening when we were heading to K.L.), hopefully it just contained some poor unfortunate's dirty underwear.

Best take away from that job was on opening night. We'd just got back to the hotel at "unholy AM", just dozing off when the room phone rang. An extremely bleary-eyed me answered and heard a very excited 15-year-old daughter exclaiming "Dad, we've just seen you on News-at-Ten"!!

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Well no.. not really... It would be the 'fault of the @rsehole baggagle handlers, throwing luggage... But it would be your own problem with a damaged or split open case with missing items. 

I've had two items damaged by Airlines - A pushchair snapped in half and a roller case with the corner wheel smashed off it...  on both examples the compensation claim was rejected by the Airline (Eithad) and the Ombudsman couldn't help as their claim on my behalf was rejected - only option was to file a legal claim with a lawyer which was going to cost more than the replacement items. 

IMO - the most secure case - the clamshell case (not with a Zip) but with 3 clasps - the ones the Airlines (some of them) issue to the flight crews for long haul flights... the issue for regular punters is that those clamshell clasp cases are heavier than the usual cases and a lot of EU carriers are already limiting baggage weight to a max 23 kgs from some airports. 

I have Tumi (Alpha 3) check XL check in Luggage...  Also North Face Luggage (170 Litre Rolling Thunder 36") and both take a battering with regular travel...  I have to get new bag every 3-4 years or so.

I'm getting to the stage where I'd just prefer a wooden crate on wheels and be done with it. 

In my 35 years of travelling, I only had one carry on bag braking the handle. Samsonite, and I believe that one was 18 years old. The longest use of a samsonite was 23 years.

Never had a hard case only soft shell suitcases. Now on American Tourister for 6 years, and just now bought a smaller one for next trip.

I bought this 116L

https://luggagereview.co.uk/urban-track-wheeled-travel-bag-reviewed/

• Like 2

On 3/9/2024 at 7:12 PM, retarius said:

Is Samsonite good? as good as, say, Tumi?

Retarius, I used to be an avid collector of Tumi luggage until it was bought by Samsonite. After this, I had great difficulty getting the right parts for replacement such as wheels and other plastic or rubber parts which disintegrate in the Thai climate. Samsonite, their owner, are now the better choice in my opinion, but my next brand, when I can afford it, will be Rimowa, from Germany - stunning!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have an old Samsonite bag. I had to replace the wheels (new) due to rubber deteriorating as well as the handle. It's rock solid and has a number of unique features. US bag in BKK. Barely used. It's barely cabin legal /size. 600b and it's yours.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sluglord said:

I have an old Samsonite bag. I had to replace the wheels (new) due to rubber deteriorating as well as the handle. It's rock solid and has a number of unique features. US bag in BKK. Barely used. It's barely cabin legal /size. 600b and it's yours.

No thanks - i don't buy second hand stuff.

• Haha 1